View previous topic | View next topic

A hearty Christmas post

Page 1 of 1

floreally
1221272.  Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote

I couldn't help but notice a few woven Christmas hearts on the set of the 2016 Christmas episode.
For those who don't know, the woven Christmas heart is a traditional danish Christmas decoration, invented by none other than H.C. Andersen, so it really warmed my danish heart to see them fit in so nicely on the QI set.
It also inspired me to design this quite interesting version which now hangs on my wall with all the other decorations that I haven't bothered to take down yet.

A belated merry Christmas to you all.
Flo

'yorz
1221282.  Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote

Nice! And welcome :-)

spursystarman
1221401.  Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Anyone here know of xmas hoops? My family had them for years. Consist of two equal-sized metal hoops fixed at right-angles to one another and secured at top and bottom intersections, then wound around with cotton wool and decorated with the usual baubles and so on (location, Norfolk)

Spud McLaren
1221467.  Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote

Welcome, floreally!

My wife and I have started a Christmas practice that I hope will become a tradition in the family. My wife is heavily into amateur musical theatre, and for every production in which she's taken part I've bought her a small ornament or keyring relevant to the play. Eventually we realised that they'd make excellent tree decorations, so every Christmas we have a reminder of all the musicals of which she's been a member.

My daughter is an even more enthusiastic actress and hopes to make acting/singing her career, so there's scope for a tradition to flourish.

'yorz
1221483.  Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote

What an incredibly lovely, attentive, thing to do, Spud. And I'm very happy to know Hassan's Eye of Horus somehow fits in between those tokens.

Spud McLaren
1221486.  Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote

It does, and it amuses me to think of such a symbol being used in an ostensibly christian way. On the other hand, it is hanging on a pagan symbol.

And why not? If I could get hold of a miniature Buddhist prayer wheel and a crescent & star, they'd be on there too.

Page 1 of 1