View previous topic | View next topic

Sabre-toothed tigers never existed

Page 1 of 1

nonsense
1218511.  Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote

1342 Facts p5.

What does this mean, there seems to be plenty of evidence for Smilodon?
Are you saying they were not tigers? Does that mean the whale shark doesn't exist either?

crissdee
1218515.  Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Hi nonsense!

The book gives a link to get the sources of the facts, just to save you the trouble, I found it for you;

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/carnivora/sabretooth.html

Stick around, we love a good quibble here. My first ever post (iirc) many moons ago was a quibble about Teflon ammunition.

nonsense
1218525.  Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, I read that before posting but it doesn't really explain the statement: they did exist. To me it seems highly misleading and unless you check the facts you may have completely the wrong impression?

suze
1218529.  Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Maybe so, but that is kind of the point.

"Everyone knows" that there used to be a creature called the sabre-toothed tiger. Only thing is, there never was. Smilodon existed - and indeed other species of sabre-toothed cat existed - but tigers were they not.

When QI first started, one of its main premises was "Stuff that 'everyone knows' which is actually wrong". That's not as big of a theme in the books and the TV shows as it used to be, simply because we've done most of the best known "facts" which are in reality no such thing, but the sabre-toothed tiger is a classic example.

Page 1 of 1