View previous topic | View next topic

QI Events

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

suze
86518.  Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote

It's not well known in the sense that everyone you meet in the street knows about it. Twenty years ago perhaps so, but not now.

But it certainly is well known among Canadian homosexuals and anti-establishment types. I used to be both of those on a part time basis. That is to say, I am essentially bisexual (much as I don't do anything about it any more since I'm happily married) and I was extremely left wing in my student days. Therefore, I moved in the sort of circles where such things were spoken of in - shall we say - disapproving terms.

One for the F series I think ...

samivel
86519.  Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Why would gay men be more vulnerable to blackmail by Soviet agents than heterosexuals?

QI Individual
86528.  Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Shame there is no way of linking it to the letter "E".

General Ignorance is not letter specific and surely the topic 'Erection' should give ample scope for tons of jolly (in)appropriate QI factoids including this one.

I'm looking forward to it already. ;)

suze
86529.  Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Why would gay men be more vulnerable to blackmail by Soviet agents than heterosexuals?

The theory goes that the Soviet agent might threaten to blackmail one if one doesn't give him what he wants. While few men would be too worried about a spy going round his friends and saying "Guess what, your mate X sleeps with girls", some might not be so keen on a similar fact about his homosexuality being spread around.

And of course, until 1967 (in both Britain and Canada) homosexual activity between men was illegal, so the blackmail could result in one going to jail.

EDIT - stupid woman, I'd formatted the quote wrong and it looked weird.

Last edited by suze on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
86540.  Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
General Ignorance is not letter specific and surely the topic 'Erection' should give ample scope for tons of jolly (in)appropriate QI factoids including this one.

Ok, well I'll sit on it til next series at least.

<checks eyes for dilation>

Of course it links to the old

"Q. What part of a manīs body increases in size by up to ten times when he is aroused?

A. The pupil."

smiley_face
87262.  Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
#fruity fruity fruity#
Wasn't that an Alan Davies buzzer sound?

I thought that it was a John Sessions buzzer...

Ameena
87322.  Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote

It was but I'm pretty sure Alan's had it too. I think he had it first, in fact, of the two of them.

Jenny
87486.  Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:

I find it very encouraging, and a distinct sign of progress, that somebody your age can ask that question.

Mr Grue
90923.  Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:58 am Reply with quote

Who do you think you are? A benefit for NO2ID. Featuring,

Stewart Lee
Paul Sinha (Perrier award nominee 2006)
Josie Long (Perrier best newcomer 2006)
Kevin Eldon
Wil Hodgson (Perrier best newcomer 2004)
Gary Le Strange (Perrier best newcomner 2003)
Andrew O'Neill
Janie Phayre
with MC Lucy Porter
and others TBC

1st October, Hackney Empire, 291 Mare Street, London, E8 1EJ .
Doors 7.30 Tickets ŒĢ12.50
Box Office 020 8985 2424 or book online at www.hackneyempire.co.uk

All proceeds to NO2ID - the national campaign against ID cards and the database state. NO2ID is a non-partisan campaign group supported by all sorts of people from a wide range of political viewpoints, and some of our supporters are very funny.
Find out more at www.no2id.net

www.godsrudewireless.co.uk
www.hamiltonsbrain.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/simonscott

simonp
93025.  Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote

Ok so i know its already happened but it was a QI event. On Sunday I drove for the Middlewalk Bus Company in Blackpool. Bizarrely the company has only one route approximately 2 miles long, 3 bus stops, employs no drivers, owns no buses and takes no fares. Actually they only operate for about 6 hours every year. They run all this for the bus driver of the year competition. The buses they use are donated by other companies for the day as are their drivers (the top 117 in the country). It was the 40th year this year but next September if you want to see some impressive driving (and some not so impressive) have a look in Blackpool.

well i thought it was a bit QI

Mr Grue
115089.  Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote

December 24th is Rectangle Awareness Day!!!

http://flickr.com/groups/rectangular/

Mr Grue
156404.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote

March 17th is... Liberalia!

maiden
312152.  Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote

For any folk music / classical music fans ... or just for those who appreciate the arts ... Why not try

http://www.stmagnusfestival.com/index.html

:)

(I'm going, so I'll try to remember to post up some pics when I come back)

maiden
312863.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote

A conference on the St Ninian's Isle Treasure:50 years on, held at the Shetland Museum. Check out the link below for further details :)

http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/news.htm

maiden
313318.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote

another event which may be of interest to some ... the Celtic Rock event at Glamis Castle in September

more details here ...

http://www.glamis-castle.co.uk/Events/CelticRock.cfm

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next