View previous topic | View next topic

What is the witness of 'consciousness of'?

Page 1 of 1

pstotto
1105969.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote

"Well... Tell me. What is the witness of 'consciousness of'?"

Celebaelin
1105971.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote

Ah, but what is the witness of consciousness of self-awareness?

Posital
1105974.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote

Are we talking: http://luthar.com/2010/01/18/what-is-witness-consciousness-by-dr-harsh-k-luthar/ ?

pstotto
1105975.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote

"Don't answer the question with a different question, answer the question or you fail the exam".

Celebaelin
1105979.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote

Don't you quote responses telling me how I should mediate my interactions with what I perceive as the world around me!

meeno
1105983.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote

you are the witness. that's how i perceive your question ;) anyway that's my answer. you might be looking for more

pstotto
1106184.  Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote

You've failed the exam Celebaelin. If that were your response to an exam paper instruction...

Posital
1106230.  Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Oh - you want an answer.

Try this:

~Dr. Harsh K. Luthar wrote:
Witness consciousness as a concept and a spiritual practice has become known now in the West. In the psychology of Advaita and Yoga of thousands of years ago, it has been a fundamental tool of self development and self understanding on the path to Self-Realization.

To be a witness of something hints that one is watching and observing it objectively. To be witness of phenomena means that one is standing apart from the situation and not identifying with it. According to Advaita philosophy, whatever can be witnessed by us is not our essential nature but a transient phase. This thought has been brought forth by ancient sages who described the nature of the Self as Brahman, the highest Divinity which sits in our heart as our Heart.

The human condition by its very nature is associated with emotions. Some emotions are positive, some are neutral, and some are destructive. Fear, anger, rage, and guilt are some of the emotions which can undermine our peace of mind and efforts to fulfill our potential.

The practice of Witness Consciousness is intended to enable us to more clearly observe the origins of our emotions. The philosophy of Witness Consciousness teaches us that our emotions are a passing phase and not our true nature.

By developing this watchfulness and our ability to see ourselves even in difficult circumstances, we are able to gradually weaken the roots of negativity and transform our mind. The philosophy behind Witness consciousness is very deep and profound. Sometimes, those with superficial understanding view this approach as leading to inaction and simply letting life pass by as your observe.

So by reducing the strength of negative emotions and then uprooting these, Witness Consciousness can lead to an optimistic and a positive frame of mind. Those who practice watchfulness become more sensitive to their own nature as well as that of others. They develop a wonderful richness of the spirit and are helpful to their fellow human beings. Witness Consciousness helps us develop a nonjudgmental and a forgiving attitude towards ourselves as well as others and thus can bring more acceptance and harmony in our lives.

The origin of Witness Consciousness and its practice is found in the Upanishads. Upanishads are the sacred Hindu scriptures and are thought to be between 5000 and 7000 years old. For example, In the Brihadaranyak Upanishad, the great sage Yajnavalkya when asked to describe Brahman (God-Self or the Highest Divinity) responds beautifully by saying neti, neti, neti. Neti, means “not this”. Yajnavalkya emphasizes that however we conceptualize the Divine, it is not that.

In the Advaitic approach to Self-Realization, you rest in Witness Consciousness and that becomes ones meditation. One may be walking, eating, and engaging in other activities and yet be maintaining an alert watchfulness. In meditation on the Self, whatever thought or emotion comes, one can practice neti, neti, and bring the attention back to the Witness. Although the philosophy of neti, neti, and witnessing of phenomena was developed by the Vedic sages as a spiritual philosophy, it has the effect of creating a better understanding of the nature of our mind as well.

meeno
1106286.  Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote

I'm just guessing witness consciousness is this...

Epiphany (feeling)
This article is about the feeling.
For other uses, see Epiphany.
An epiphany (from the ancient
Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia,
"manifestation, striking
appearance") is an experience of
sudden and striking realization.
Generally the term is used to
describe scientific breakthrough,
religious or philosophical
discoveries, but it can apply in
any situation in which an
enlightening realization allows a
problem or situation to be
understood from a new and
deeper perspective. Epiphanies
are studied by psychologists [1][2]
and other scholars, particularly
those attempting to study the
process of innovation .

Jenny
1106364.  Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote

I think the key feature of an epiphany is the 'sudden and striking realization' part meeno mentions above. I'm not sure that is the same thing at all as the kind of witness consciousness Posital's post refers to, where the realization does not have to be either sudden or striking.

Page 1 of 1