View previous topic | View next topic

England gave us one of our favourite mexican dishes.

Page 1 of 1

yommilommi
1083895.  Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote

In Mexico, the state of Hidalgo is famous, among many things, for their dish called "Pastes". What most people do not know, is that the paste, is not a mexican dish, we owe this delicious thing to England.

In 1824, just after the mexican independence war ended, the government needed to re-activate the mines located in Real del Monte and Pachuca, which were the richest in metal. In that year a british company called "Compañía de los Caballeros Aventureros en las Minas de Pachuca" acquired such mines. The miners that arrived from England, brought with them a series of new traditions, and among these were the Cornish Pasties.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that in Mexico they modified it, and they started to put the thick part of the pasty in a side, so the miners that couldn't wash their hands, could grab the pasty/paste, without contaminating the food. When they finished eating, that part of the pasty was thrown away.

Nowadays, our pastes are not only filled with meat and potatoes, but with chorizo, beans, rice pudding, pineapple, etc. and they are absolutely delicious.

Those miners also brought with them another favourite of ours, football. :)

Thank you England!

AlmondFacialBar
1083900.  Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Actually the miners brought the tradition of throwing away the dough with them from England, because the copper ore they were mining in Cornwall contains a lot of toxic compounds and that way they could be sure of not poisoning themselves.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

yommilommi
1083901.  Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Actually the miners brought the tradition of throughing away the dough with them from England, because the copper ore they were mining in Cornwall contains a lot of toxic compounds and that way they could be sure of not poisoning themselves.

AlmondFacialBar

Ooh! Thank you! I wasn't sure about this :)...

Zebra57
1083934.  Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote

The Cornish were actually tin miners recruited to work in Mexico often in silver mines. The copper industry in Britain was centred around Swansea in South Wales. I have posted two Qi links and for those interested there are photographs of the miners in Google Image.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-22397320
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/413689.stm

AlmondFacialBar
1083937.  Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote

Whoops, yes, sorry. Fpor some reason I had the Cork copper miners who emigrated to Montana and Alaska in the back of the my head there. Anyway, the principle still applies.

AlmondFacialBar

yommilommi
1083942.  Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote

Great to get the details straighten out.

Thank you :)

suze
1084020.  Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote

There actually was copper mining in Cornwall, much as it's tin mining for which Cornwall is better known.

The first extractive industry in Cornwall was for tin and silver, using methods similar to the gold panning you'll have seen in movies. That developed into open cast mining, but there was no underground mining in Cornwall until about 1780.

Before the Industrial Revolution, digging pits through granite was just too difficult to be commercially viable. Once the open cast mines were worked out, tin mining in Cornwall was largely abandoned and attention switched to copper.

So the first underground mines in Cornwall were copper mines - but after copper was discovered in vast quantities in southern Africa around 1850 the bottom fell out of the market. However, copper miners had noted the presence of casitterite - tin ore - deposits down their copper mines, and so underground tin mining took over.

Rick Stein once claimed on my television that the original filling of a Cornish pasty was mackerel and rhubarb, they being what was available, and the conventional beef and rutabaga filling came later. How true this is I don't know.

Zebra57
1084118.  Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Is Rick Stein now selling mackerel and rhubarb pasties in his restaurants?

gruff5
1084167.  Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Copper-bottomed - Nicholas

Troux
1084191.  Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Upon first glance, those looked like empanadas, a popular snack in my Hispanic-rich area. Wiki cleared things up:

Quote:
The difference between pastes and empanadas is that with pastes, as in a proper Cornish pasty, the filling ingredients are not cooked before they are wrapped in the pastry casing. With empanadas some if not all of the ingredients have been precooked. The "tinga" and "mole sauce" preparations are then better classified as empanadas because of the cooking of the sauces and meats before they are wrapped in the pastry. In Real Del Monte we define as empanada the one done using a light, flaky, leavened pastry containing several layers of dough, while Paste is using a firm and thin layer of dough.

Spud McLaren
1084198.  Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote

There was also the double-ended pasty (although this site abhors that name) with savoury main and a sweet "afters" all in the same case.

Page 1 of 1