View previous topic | View next topic

Britain's Ballistic Missiles

Page 1 of 1

NickF
1139180.  Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote

Just come across this site and I find it fascinating.

'yorz
1139183.  Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote

What a great story. Spadeadam is just round the corner from here.
You just wish that someone at RAF Lasham had jotted down the activation codes somewhere, before they shut the place down.
How sad. But great to see that tiny thing still drifting in space (on its way North, to Oz, as we speak).

Thanks again for great stuff, NickF.

NickF
1139191.  Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote

Gawd Bless 'ee Ma'am.

Alexander Howard
1139289.  Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote

I read somewhere (elfless I am helpless at research) that the satellite, Puck, was renamed 'Prospero' at the request of the Minister who had to explain it to Parliament.

It was named "Puck" because Puck tells Oberon "I'll put a girdle round about the Earth in forty minutes".

The minister though said he could not be sure he would not make an unfortunate mispronunciation of "Puck" in the House of Commons. Hence "Prospero".

suze
1139291.  Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote

A N Wilson asserts that it was the then Minister for Aviation and Aerospace, Sir Frederick Corfield (Con, South Gloucestershire), who wasn't confident that he could say Puck correctly.

There is also an "official" explanation for the name change. The project had been canceled by the time Puck/Prospero was launched, and the renaming was supposedly inspired by The Tempest V.i.

(Prospero: In this last tempest, I perceive these lords
At this encounter do so much admire)

Which version is true, who can say. A bit of both, perhaps.

Page 1 of 1