2501.  Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Just playing the goat.

JumpingJack
2502.  Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Baa-aa-aaaa!

ŠLord Melchett

Jenny
2514.  Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:12 pm Reply with quote

Look at it this way Flash - if it's a baby boy and its mother is breastfeeding it, it doesn't change sex, does it?

And if you think about it, cows and goats make milk out of grass, and mothers make milk out of whatever they happen to eat, which can include things that make milk out of grass and milk itself.

Does this go to prove that all flesh is grass? Or should I put that on the Bible thread?

JumpingJack
2574.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:26 am Reply with quote

You can put this one in the Bible thread if you want...

Insects that can be seen with the naked eye are not kosher. More Torah prohibitions are violated by eating an aphid than by eating ham.

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-vegetables-leaf.htm

JumpingJack
2578.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:35 am Reply with quote

Hmm...maybe I should transfer this to the Bible thread...

If insects aren't kosher, what's all this about then:

Quote:
Even these of them ye may eat: the LOCUST after his kind,
and the BALD LOCUST after his kind, and the BEETLE after
his kind, and the GRASSHOPPER after his kind.
LEVITICUS 11:22

JumpingJack
2579.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:40 am Reply with quote

Smarties are not kosher.

Smarties contain E120, also known as cochineal or carmine, a natural red colour made from beetles. Red, pink, purple, orange, violet, brown smarties are not kosher.

www.kosher.org.uk/downloads/nosh_guide_final_version.pdf+beetles+are+kosher&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

JumpingJack
2580.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:57 am Reply with quote

Also not kosher are:

Askey's Pompadour Fan Wafers
    Wilkinson's Toasted Tea Cakes
    Walls Solero Ice-Minis
    Hula Hoops
    Black Magic
    Nutrigrain bars
    Jacob's Iced Gems
    Strawberry Nesquik
    Fry's Orange and Peppermint Creams
    Rowntrees Fruit Gums and Pastilles
    Maynard's Wine Gums
    Terry's All Gold
    TicTac Mints
    Bounty Bars
    Jelly Belly jelly beans
    Cocopops and Frosties cereal bars
    Extra Strong Trebor Mints
    Everything made by Thorntons
    Everything made by Haribo
    Everything made by Pringles
    Everything made by Walker's Crisps except Ready Salted Lites and Salt and Vinegar Lites and Max Naked.

JumpingJack
2581.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:03 am Reply with quote

Robert Faber, the man in charge of the new Dictionary of National Biography tells me he has has just ordered 21 miles of ribbon for the head and tail bands of the printed version.

Jenny
2588.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:27 am Reply with quote

We could work out his print run if we knew the size of the book. If we estimate a foot of ribbon per book, that's 110,880, so if it's a large volume they're maybe printing 100,000. Though I believe they're expecting to sell the print version mainly to libraries - for ordinary users I think they're moving more and more to an online version, according to a friend of mine who was one of the proofreaders for the latest edition.

Frances
2596.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I don't care about kosher nosh, but what are/is a Max Naked and where can I get one?

Jenny
2598.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:46 pm Reply with quote

They are crisps Frances - http://www.sugardrops.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=793

I just made the mistake of googling 'Max Naked' - fortunately the above link was the first one that came up. The others were on a par with what Flash found when he tried googling 'beaver lips' for some information about beavers of the make-dams-and-cut-trees-down variety.

JumpingJack
2605.  Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Ha! Beaver lips...

Flash
2620.  Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:26 am Reply with quote

From the Washington Post:

Quote:
Adrian Forsyth, in "A Natural History of Sex," quotes Rainer Foelix's account of the mating of the orb weaver spider:

"He initiates copulation by jumping towards the ventral side of the female's abdomen and fixing one palp to the epigynum. . . . The female immediately seizes his abdomen with her chelicera (pincer) and within a few minutes starts feeding on him. Apparently this is more a technical necessity than pure cannibalism. If the female is prevented from biting the male, he constantly slips off the abdomen and is unable to insert his palp." Weird, perhaps, but the guy dies with a smile on his face.

The writer Annie Dillard, in "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek," vividly describes how she one day saw a frog that seemed to slowly melt away, becoming nothing but a flat empty sack of skin, and how she realized that its insides had been sucked out by a giant water bug. Every creature has its own special technique for strapping on the feedbag, as it were.

One thinks of the case of the fungus and the stink ant, recounted in Lawrence Weschler's "Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder." The ant inhales the spore of the fungus, which then grows in the ant's brain, incites madness, and causes the ant to climb to the top of a blade of grass, where it clamps onto the blade and dies even as the fungus explodes from the head and forms a hornlike spike that drops more spores onto the forest floor. You feel bad for the ant, but at least it didn't get vacuumed out by a water bug.

At the risk of being accused of biological relativism, there are commonalities across all the different genera and classes and orders and kingdoms of life. Consider the famous case of the male anglerfish, a tiny creature that attaches himself to the much larger female, and then simply withers away, his body growing smaller and smaller still, until there is nothing left of him but a set of testes.

By Joel Achenbach, Washington Post Staff Writer, Sunday, November 30, 2003 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22142-2003Nov29.html)

Jenny
2632.  Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:01 am Reply with quote

At least the spider has not one but two penises (pedipalps) so presumably as well as dying with a smile on his face he's having twice the fun.

hardie
2636.  Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:21 am Reply with quote

I have read though I can't alas remember where (BMJ?) of the case of a woman born with two vaginas, an arrangement that suited her fine since only one led to the unterus, so that she could use one for day to day sex, the other for conception.

Page 8 of 173
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 171, 172, 173  Next