View previous topic | View next topic

Snottingham.

Page 1 of 1

djgordy
1215801.  Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote

I was pleased to see that my tiresom... oops, I meant "tireless" efforts in promoting Snottingham didn't go unnoticed.

bemahan
1215822.  Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote

Hello!
You mean because bemason has applied to go to uni there? Or does the world not revolve around my children?

Spud McLaren
1215894.  Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Which uni, bem?

bemahan
1216236.  Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote

Nottingham, Spud.

(As opposed to Nottingham Trent Uni, for those who think I'm being facetious.)

tetsabb
1216337.  Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Is this like the difference between my alma mater the University of Sussex and Brighton University?

suze
1216376.  Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Similar.

There's an unofficial hierarchy of British universities, which runs something like ancient, redbrick, nearly redbrick, plate glass, and former polytechnic. It's a crude hierarchy though, and plenty of universities have characteristics of a category other than the one into which they would naturally fall.

The University of Sussex was founded in 1961, and was the first of the plate glass universities. Nottingham goes back to 1881, originally as a remote part of the University of London. A Nottingham shopkeeper named Jesse Boot - you'll have heard of his company - financed the building of the present campus in the 20s, and after a campaign it was granted university status in its own right in 1948.

It's a member of the Russell Group and it has a medical school, for which reasons it's often considered a redbrick - although its rivals might suggest "nearly redbrick" as more accurate.

Brighton and Nottingham Trent are both former polytechnics.

crissdee
1216410.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
There's an unofficial hierarchy of British universities, which runs something like ancient, redbrick, nearly redbrick, plate glass, and former polytechnic. It's a crude hierarchy though, and plenty of universities have characteristics of a category other than the one into which they would naturally fall.

My own alma mater being one such place. The University of East London still had, when I was there, equipment marked as property of the North-East London Polytechnic, and one lecturer who refused to acknowledge it as anything but a poly. Its main campus building in Barking (iirc) was an old stone edifice, with red brick parts and plate glass annexes.

brunel
1216428.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Similar.

The University of Sussex was founded in 1961, and was the first of the plate glass universities. Nottingham goes back to 1881, originally as a remote part of the University of London. A Nottingham shopkeeper named Jesse Boot - you'll have heard of his company - financed the building of the present campus in the 20s, and after a campaign it was granted university status in its own right in 1948.

It's a member of the Russell Group and it has a medical school, for which reasons it's often considered a redbrick - although its rivals might suggest "nearly redbrick" as more accurate.

Brighton and Nottingham Trent are both former polytechnics.

Where would most of the universities in London, such as UCL, or Durham University, fit in that crude ranking?

They seem to fall into the gap between the ancient and red brick universities, being younger that the former but coming before the red brick universities (which date to the early 20th century).

tetsabb
1216475.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

There's an unofficial hierarchy of British universities.

..... along with a degree of snobbery in tandem, to which, I am not proud to admit, I subscribe. I attended the establishment on the North side of the A27 at Falmer.

PDR
1216480.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote

Stanmer Park Tea Rooms?

PDR

suze
1216501.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote

brunel wrote:
Where would most of the universities in London, such as UCL, or Durham University, fit in that crude ranking?

They seem to fall into the gap between the ancient and red brick universities, being younger that the former but coming before the red brick universities (which date to the early 20th century).

The University of London tends to be considered as a redbrick; indeed, some of its constituent parts are actually built of red bricks.

Durham thinks it's ancient, and its buildings are scattered all over the city as they are in Oxford and Cambridge. It's old, it's collegiate, and its students tend to be frightfully posh; those things might lend support to the ancient notion. On the other hand, it doesn't have a medical school as such (since 2001 Durham has offered Medicine, but the course is run by the University of Newcastle). Perhaps Durham needs a category all of its own.

If I'd gone to university in Britain, I think I'd have wanted to go to a redbrick. Cambridge or Oxford would not have been for me, certainly not as an angry 18 year old, but I visited Leeds a handful of times while my stepdaughter was there and rather liked it.

Spud McLaren
1216532.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Of Nottingham, bemahan wrote:
... bemason has applied to go to uni there ...
Spud McLaren wrote:
Which uni, bem?
bemahan wrote:
Nottingham, Spud.

(As opposed to Nottingham Trent Uni, for those who think I'm being facetious.)
Hmm. Does my memory fail me, or did you attend that establishment too?

Jenny
1216555.  Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote

I went to Leicester, which if memory serves is a redbrick.

Page 1 of 1