View previous topic | View next topic

Freudian Slip

Page 1 of 1

andyf
69127.  Wed May 10, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote

I was at the recording of the show last night (Tuesday 9th) and it was a very enjoyable evening. However, I noticed a mistake. Fortunately I resisted the temptation to jump out of my seat and shout at Stephen Fry, and, therefore, avoided the deserved beating that would have surely followed. Unfortunately I haven't resisted the temptation to note the error on this forum: I expect my electronic beating in due course.

Anyway, last night Stephen stated that Freud had two psychosexual stages (the Oral and Anal). Now, this is clearly going to expose me as being stuck in my anal stage, but in fact Freud's theory involved (as I recal) 5 stages (well, 4 stages and a latency period). Following the anal stage, there was believed to be the phallic stage (during which the well-known Oedipal and electra complexes apparently occur), there was then a latency period before the final stage, the genital stage. So, there you have it. Technically, I suppose there are no stages because they are all the figments of a rambling lunatic's mind, but that's an entirely different debate.

Of course, despite this error, Mr. Fry was in every sense correct in asserting that Dr. Freud was barking mad.

Andy

Flash
69190.  Wed May 10, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out, while there's still time to launch a secret cover-up.

I heard some academics being interviewed about Freud recently and they took the view that he had made a very important contribution in changing the very language in which the mind is discussed, however much he is liable to be criticised for an absence of sceintific rigour in the way he developed his opinions.

Cummerbund for Geography
69920.  Mon May 15, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote

Freud had good points, but she was a bit rubbish when she took over from Jakki Brambles on Radio 1.

Tas
69923.  Mon May 15, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote

Freudian Slips are less interesting than other items of apparel in this years Freudian Lingerie range...

:-)

Tas

Page 1 of 1