View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

DVD Smith
1212915.  Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote

Approximately 3.2 billion people use the internet. In China, they have treatment facilities for people addicted to the Internet. However, approximately 9 million adults in Britain and one-third of Italians have never used it. (Source)

In 2015, more than one third of all incoming worldwide internet traffic was Netflix. (Source)

The first ever webcam was built in 1991 at Cambridge University to monitor a coffee pot.

Three of the first-ever search engines were called Archie, Veronica and Jughead - all named after characters from Archie Comics (although Archie was originally an abbreviation of "archiver").

The founders of Amazon apparently chose its name because Yahoo (at the time the biggest search engine) used to index their search results in alphabetical order, and so the name Amazon would give them a leg up on the competition. The site was originally going to be called "Cadabra" (short for "Abracadabra"), until someone pointed out that it sounded a lot like "cadaver". (Source)

The origin of the word "spam" meaning "online junk mail" is disputed, however almost all theories agree that the original source is the Monty Python "Spam" sketch, and not the food product itself. Of the 90 trillion emails sent in 2009, 81% were spam. The most common country of origin for spam emails is Brazil - not Nigeria (possible klaxon?), which is 91st in the list. (Source)

Alfred E Neuman
1212926.  Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
Approximately 3.2 billion people use the internet. In China, they have treatment facilities for people addicted to the Internet. However, approximately 9 million adults in Britain and one-third of Italians have never used it.

Well, they wouldn't would they, what with it being in China and all.

:-)

DVD Smith
1215014.  Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote

Haha you're right! That could have been worded more clearly :)

9 million adults in Britain have never used the Internet. Probably closer to 70 million have never used a Chinese Internet rehab facility.

suze
1215069.  Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
However, approximately 9 million adults in Britain and one-third of Italians have never used it.

Do we really believe those figures?

If the 9 million figure is correct, that is about one adult in six who has never used the Internet.

I do know one such person, but only one. Where are they all hiding?

crissdee
1215071.  Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Well, there's one in my house right now (my dad) and I would guess that most people of their generation are off-line. I would take a guess that the majority of my mum's Townswomen's Guild members are internet virgins, and indeed the larger part of that age group. For every granny who runs a blog or friends the whist drive regulars on Bookface, I reckon there will be a dozen who couldn't even find the on switch.

Dix
1215078.  Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Yup. I'd lay money on at least four of our closest neighbours being totally offline. They may have had someone helping them do something online at the local library but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Alfred E Neuman
1215200.  Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote

In my experience (which may be skewed by living in a community where many younger people are leaving the country) many older people learn to use computers and the Internet in order to email and Skype their grandchildren.

tetsabb
1215223.  Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote

It made me giggle a lot some years ago when a chap told me his mother being terribly pleased about her use of e-mail. She wrote a letter out in the e-mail section of her on-line provider, printed it, and put it in an envelope....

14-11-2014
1215229.  Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote

pcworld.com wrote:
Most Windows users have become conditioned over time to never unplug a USB flash drive or hard drive without first clicking Safely Remove Hardware in the System Tray.

Booting Windows again, to safely remove an USB flash drive after a shutdown.

crissdee
1215264.  Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote

??????????????

AlmondFacialBar
1215331.  Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
In my experience (which may be skewed by living in a community where many younger people are leaving the country) many older people learn to use computers and the Internet in order to email and Skype their grandchildren.

Same here. By and large the Irish don't emigrate for life anymore, but a lot of young professionals leave the country for a couple of years before settling down, and of course there are throngs of EU nationals, West Africans and Chinese people here, so the Irish Internet is choc a bloc with grannies Skyping and grandchildren being Skyped.

Regarding the nine million, does that or doesn't that count people in who only use the Internet by proxy? Case in point, my mom has Internet access of her own, but doesn't really use it because she finds it far more convenient to let my dad take care of her online needs instead (nothing to do with technology not being for women or shite like that, she just can't be bothered whereas my dad actively enjoys it). She tells him what she needs done - flights booked, mails checked, whatever - and he does it. So that that make her an Internet user or not?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

DVD Smith
1226606.  Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote

Not strictly "online", but an interesting computer-based fact I found today: the map of time zones from Windows 95 was removed to avoid causing a geopolitical crisis.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20030822-00/?p=42823

charliemic
1245929.  Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote

It is people who aren't aware they're using the internet? I suspect some older people can't connect the concept of a local email client application with the internet.

It's incredible how many people believe that Windows Internet Explorer is in fact the entire internet.

Last edited by charliemic on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

crissdee
1245940.  Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote

My mum has used the internet, and is well aware of it, but that second sentence might as well have been in Mandarin for all the sense it would make to her. And me for that matter. And I spent years fixing computer-based ticket machines.

charliemic
1245941.  Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote

What did the ticket machines run on? Most of the FSE100 companies are miles behind Windows.

The mainframe from the matrix is based on actual mainframes, which use COBAL, a very old language.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next