View previous topic | View next topic

Hello everyone! It's me Aya! (Waves)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Aya Vandenbussche
1211971.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote

Hello my name, as you may have noticed, is Aya Vandenbussche. I think maybe the best way to introduce myself to a QI forum is perhaps say a few things about my name, which have been ridiculed plenty over the years. I don't mind it really, I often encourage it, but today I'd like to tell you a few things about it.

Let's start with my first name, Aya, in Israel, which is where I was born and raised for most of my life until I moved to London, Aya has many meanings, it a type of bird, a figure from the Old Testament (it is either a mother of a prophet or an actual prophet, I have been meaning to check this and never got round to it). It is also, and this is perhaps odd given I am and grew up in an atheistic left winged home, a Hebrew abbreviation for "If god be willing", "The whole of Israel" "The beautiful Israel". I also have an Israeli friend named Aya, whose name is short for Ayelet, a doe.

In later years I have discovered that in Islam, Aya means a verse in the Quran and in Japanese it means colourful, light and beautiful.

I should probably say that my parents were not aware of these or any other meanings of the name Aya (A quick glance in Wikipedia reveals that it has more meanings than I realised), they simply saw it in a book of names and liked it. That it is the sound most people in Israel, and I think other countries as well, make when they are physically hurt, or that it rhymes with Papaya, didn't occurred to them. Oh well.

My last name, Vandenbussche, is longer yet simpler to explain. My dad is Belgian and that is a fairly common name in Belgium meaning "from the forest". It is three words, Van Den Bussche, connected into one. Unfortunately I donít know much about this side of the family to have more information.

Anyway, I was nervous about writing my first post, which is why I have rambled on for a bit. I hope you would find it interesting. Hello everyone itís me Aya (waves).

AlmondFacialBar
1211975.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote

Hi Aya, nice to meet you! :-) You've a lovely name, in all its meanings.

Here, have some coffee and cake:

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Aya Vandenbussche
1211976.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote

Why thank you. I will. :)
Nice to meet you too AlmondFaciaBar.

bemahan
1211978.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote

Hello, Aya! I've already come across the name 'Aya' and like it very much.

PDR
1211982.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote

She gets cake and coffee? You never offered those to me!

I'm going to sulk now.

:0(

PDR

PS - welcome to QI Aya. Enjoy the coffee and cake while you can...

AlmondFacialBar
1211986.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote

I say, I am most frightfully sorry. Is it an acceptable excuse that on 10th January, 2008, I was in no state to offer coffee and cake to anyone? I hope this makes up for it:

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1211988.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote

You are a cruel woman - you KNOW that I'm not allowed to have cake since I was diagnosed as a diabetic last week YOU TORTURER!!!

I'm going to sulk even more now.

PDR

PS - what state WERE you in - Lower Saxony?

AlmondFacialBar
1211991.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote

*tut*

Who says that it's not sweetened with Maltitol in a diabetic friendly way?

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1212000.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote

That's worse - you'd clearly be taunting me with the imitation, reminding me that I'm not allowed it with proper sugar...

Anyway, we're gatecrashing Aya's thread. Welcome again Aya!

PDR

Strawberry
1212005.  Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Welcome.

tetsabb
1212036.  Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote

Hiya, Aya!

AlmondFacialBar
1212039.  Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
That's worse - you'd clearly be taunting me with the imitation, reminding me that I'm not allowed it with proper sugar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiV2rc7kRE4

PDR wrote:
Anyway, we're gatecrashing Aya's thread. Welcome again Aya!

PDR

Aya, for future reference, gatecrashing other people's threads is a cherished custom here. Don't take it personal. ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1212040.  Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Aya, for future reference, gatecrashing other people's threads is a cherished custom here. Don't take it personal. ;-)

Well you started it - you invaded Ireland...

:0)

PDR

Aya Vandenbussche
1212276.  Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote

Why thank you everyone for a warm welcome. I feel all fuzzy inside! Gatecrash away guys, everyone's invited.

Also, PDR's cake looks really yummy and since you're not allowed sugar...

Bondee
1212302.  Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote

Is it "hiya, Aya" or "heya, Aya"?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next