View previous topic | View next topic

Nosey Noisy Vitamins

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

crissdee
1213838.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I don't know where all this talk of Canadian bread came from,


It was referencing some point 14-11-2014 was making on the Brexit thread in his usual inimitable way.

 
nitwit02
1213850.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote

FYI - my local supermarket bakes wonderful, crusty French bread (450 grams) for 95 cents!

 
14-11-2014
1213854.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know where all this talk of Canadian bread came from

FWIW, one don't always need a bad trigger to produce a good Canadian fact:

Klaus wrote:
I'm pretty certain that Canada would have loved to have a trade deal with the remaining 27 EU states and ignored Belgium given the choice but she had to wait, just because.

Would each country be in a better position? Well that is an answer we will never know, but ask yourself how much easier it would be if you were to go shopping with 27 of your neighbours, and you all had to agree on what to buy? Especially if one of your neighbours wanted white bread instead of brown

I could have mentioned a more likely exported product of another country with a EU trade deal, but I decided to echo the text, including 27 + 1 EU members. Hence Canadian bread.

 
Spud McLaren
1213970.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
This is definitely to be encouraged. Forgive me, I don't know who Klaus is, but at least it's a source slightly less anonymous than just "Quote".

 
Alfred E Neuman
1213992.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
14-11-2014 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
This is definitely to be encouraged. Forgive me, I don't know who Klaus is, but at least it's a source slightly less anonymous than just "Quote".


Yeah, I'm not so sure that it is an improvement. 14 is quoting barbados there, and I'm pretty sure he's not trying to issue a compliment by calling him Klaus, and it doesn't actually help with following the thread of the discussion.

 
Efros
1214029.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote

Nissen is a New England company, the Canadian white bread it produces is less objectionable than most American breads but it is still not what would be recognized as 'good' bread in the UK.

 
14-11-2014
1214046.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Nissen is a New England company

Well spotted. I can recommend a "Br÷tchen" in Deutschland, but not a cloned "Duits broodje" in one of the low countries.

Canada and Germany may have exported the ingredients and/or a recipe, a more likely way to export such a product, but the name of the country has to be used to suggest the same quality.

Wikipedia (edited) wrote:
Sugar bread is especially associated with Friesland. Suikerbrood is usually flavored with cinnamon.

K. A real Fryske Sűkerb˘le contains 60 per cent more sugar and is usually flavoured with cinnamon. The association is true, but sugar bread typically contains less sugar and no (or less) cinnamon. You'd want a Frisian sugar bread, a Sűkerb˘le, and not a sugar bread clone which is associated with Friesland.


Last edited by 14-11-2014 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total

 
'yorz
1214047.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote

I sometimes long for the deep dark rather chewy breads that I could find in the UK. Perhaps I should seek out the more specialised proper bread shops/bakeries.

 
Efros
1214058.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote

Generally the bread in America is made with low gluten wheat, or at least the product seems to indicate this. It has an incredible shelf life, not a bonus in my opinion, is very sweet, and forms a horrible glue like substance in your mouth when you chew it. What we do, is find one of the wholegrain breads and use that until we tire of it and then try something else. Currently we are on a wholewheat oatmeal loaf, which is not unpleasant. There are no artisanal (I hate that term) bakeries around here so we're pretty much stuck with what we can get at the supermarket or what we can make. I'm not a great baker but I will occasionally dig out our bread maker and produce something. Oh and bread is sodding expensive, a small loaf costs about $3.50-$5.00 depending on how "non standard" it is.

 
14-11-2014
1214060.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know who Klaus is, but at least it's a source slightly less anonymous than just "Quote".

If a test is a thing, then Nickolas was a working what.

Unlike some other people I'd prefer to discuss relevant statements, regardless of a typically less relevant author, and unlike some other people I'm using quotes. Intentionally, obviously, because not quoting at all or not deleting the name is easier. In the past not quoting was a problem, quoting this way was (is, whatever bloats your float) is an issue, quoting with a name was yet another issue, using sources was a problem, and not mentioning sources was a problem. Insulting the eregular visitor barbados appears to be mandatory, but a German Klaus has to be evil. So AFAICT I'm the only reoccurring connection, and I've used Nick to confirmed that, and only my quoting appears to be a problem. Not other people leaving out names, and not people leaving out quotes. It's a decision, not a conclusion, that there's no right way.


Last edited by 14-11-2014 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

 
Efros
1214061.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote

You need to lighten up man.

 
14-11-2014
1214064.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:
bread is sodding expensive, a small loaf costs about $3.50-$5.00 depending on how "non standard" it is.

I've noticed the 3.<something> of the Canadian bread, to the right of the date, and assume it's the price.

In general I don't like American baked products in Europe. Hotdogs, American pizzas, McDonald's. Often too large, and hardly any taste. I'm willing to consume a Whopper, the only exception I can think of right now.

 
14-11-2014
1214066.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to lighten up man.

Don't worry. I don't care, it's not my forum. I'll read less then 1% of all unfounded complaints, and I won't pretend that your message isn't clear because nobody will know who your "you" refers to. You can use "you", I cannot. That's a difference, by choice.

 
Efros
1214074.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote

you just did.

 
PDR
1214081.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:

Unlike some other people I'd prefer to discuss relevant statements, regardless of a typically less relevant author [...]


I take your point (that you are responding to the point rather than its author) but I think you've misunderstood why people asked.

Some people want the "author" information to help them find the source of the quote and understand its context before responding. It's by no means unusual or specific to this forum, and nor is it difficult to achieve.

PDR

 

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group