View previous topic | View next topic

Nosey Noisy Vitamins

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Spud McLaren
1213777.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote

If you're vegetarian, you shouldn't need a B12 supplement; not even if you're vegan. It does, however, require a higher level of vigilance as to one's intake. I suppose we'd all benefit from being vigilant and knowledgeable about the food we eat, but it becomes a little more important in cases where there isn't a superabundance of essential elements in the diet.

Efros
1213779.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote

B12 is one of those that there is no veggie source for, consequently you may well require a supplement especially if you're a vegan.

Quote:
Strict vegetarians and vegans are at greater risk than lacto-ovo vegetarians and nonvegetarians of developing vitamin B12 deficiency because natural food sources of vitamin B12 are limited to animal foods [5]. Fortified breakfast cereals are one of the few sources of vitamin B12 from plants and can be used as a dietary source of vitamin B12 for strict vegetarians and vegans.

From https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional/

Of course there's Marmite!

Spud McLaren
1213783.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Of course there's Marmite!
Well ... 'zacly!

Efros
1213790.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote

You'd have to eat about a 100g a day to get your daily requirement. I like marmite, but that is more than a fifth of a jar, that's a lot of Marmite, never mind your sodium levels going through the roof.

PDR
1213796.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Think of the cost of all the toast you'd need to eat it on. Even if it's canadian toast on a special trade deal it's still not exactly free.

Mind you, in a post-Brexit world Marmite will probably become affordable as well.

PDR

Spud McLaren
1213798.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
You'd have to eat about a 100g a day to get your daily requirement.
I thought it was higher in B12 than that. Oh, well, that's one of my cherished notions shot down in flames. Could explain why I've been feeling rather tired and low just recently ...

Spud McLaren
1213800.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Think of the cost of all the toast you'd need to eat it on.
I tend to eat it by the spoonful or make a drink of it, so bread ain't an issue. And I buy "yeast extract spread" rather than Marmite - it's all brewery by-product, no different.

Anyway, I'm not buying Canadian bread (sorry, suze); I'm currently trying (and for the most part failing) to make bread using a locally-milled T55 flour.

[That's enough doffcocking - Ed]

Zziggy
1213805.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote

According to the Wikipedia page, a 4g serving of Marmite has 40% of your RDA of B12?

The soya milk in my fridge has another 38% per serving.

Spud McLaren
1213806.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Not wishing to piss on a fellow veggie's fireworks, but is the soya milk not fortified, and if so one has to ask the origin of those added vitamins.

Zziggy
1213811.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote

I imagine it is fortified, yes. The B12 used to fortify food is made industrially through a synthetic fermentation process, I believe.

Spud McLaren
1213813.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote

According to this site:

In choosing to use fortified foods or B12 supplements, vegans are taking their B12 from the same source as every other animal on the planet - micro-organisms - without causing suffering to any sentient being or causing environmental damage

I'll keep digging ...

Zziggy
1213814.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Yup. I've also heard that these days, most of the vitamins and minerals that people swear you need to eat meat to get are actually just the result of the animals being given fortified food and supplements anyway, so really, being veg(itari)an is just cutting out the middleman.

Efros
1213816.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Marmite quotes 0.5/0.6 ug for a 4/5g serving that's about 25% of RDA. So 4 servings would be 16-20g about 4 rounds of toast, double what I would normally have. Site I was looking at seems to have been erroneous, on t'internet hooda thunk it.

Spud McLaren
1213817.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
--- being veg(itari)an is just cutting out the middleman.
True, I believe. Going back to B12, it is produced only by micro-organisms. So I suppose it depends on whether the "exploitation" of those micro-organisms fits one's definition of vegan, or not.

suze
1213823.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote

I don't know where all this talk of Canadian bread came from, but the point about it is that it's higher in protein than most other countries' "default" bread. It's the law in Canada that bread must be a minimum of 12.5% protein, while bog-standard supermarket bread in Britain is typically 8-9% protein.

The downside is that bread has long been relatively expensive in Canada. It works out around 20% more per slice than in Britain, and the price of bread is a common topic of conversation.

If vegetarians don't actually need dietary supplements any more than meat eaters do, then I'm pleased to hear it. adamblack93 must have believed the marketing ...

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next