View previous topic | View next topic

Nosey Noisy Vitamins

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

McPrfctday
1211624.  Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote

In the episode "Nosey Noisy" we were told (as so many times before) that it is pointless to take vitamins because we simply urinate them out.

Alcoholics must take vitamin B1.

Also, people who take trace elements might think that their pills are pointless too.

Mind you, I think Sandi might have said that they are pointless to take for 'most' people.

dr.bob
1211787.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote

Indeed, her exact words were "Most people who take vitamins shouldn't bother." I sincerely hope that most people who take vitamins are not alcoholics.

As for urinating them out, this was a comment about a typical Vitamin C tablet that contains 10 times the RDA. The human body is very good at preserving a state of homoeostasis so its reaction to a much larger quantity of any chemical than it needs is to simply excrete the excess where possible.

crissdee
1211789.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote

Just after my transplant, I was taking 32 pills a day. On mentioning this to my ex-friend, he replied that he was once taking 34 a day. I then pointed out that 32 of his pills were self-administered vitamins and supplements of dubious value, whereas all mine were actual medicine, prescribed by an actual doctor to keep me alive!

He was a severely gullible tosser.

PDR
1211790.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote

When we were racing in the Czech Republic I would generally consume 8-9 Pils of an evening, and ALL of that was pissed out...

PDR

Efros
1211796.  Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote

Daily vitamins are only excreted if they are water soluble. Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K are all stored in the body. Overdoses of these vitamins are possible and have been linked to calcium deposition problems (osteoporosis) and also increased likelihood of haemorrhagic stroke (vitamin E).

adamblack93
1211855.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote

I think the main point was that multivitamins and other over the counter supplements are pretty pointless. I take B12 supplements because my vegetarian diet has left me with a deficiency. Compared to my mum's multivitamins, each pill has 8 times the vitamin B12, and I take 3 a day. Now, the multivitamins also contain a substantial amount of vitamin C. Were I to take 24 of them instead of my supplements it would most likely kill me. And if I took the multivitamins, I would have nowhere near enough B12 to please the doctor. My point is, multivitamins contain arbitrary amounts of the various vitamins and minerals. Hardly any of some, nowhere near enough of others. A healthy, varied diet is the best way to make sure you're getting the vitamins you need.

suze
1211899.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote

adamblack93 wrote:
A healthy, varied diet is the best way to make sure you're getting the vitamins you need.

Isn't that an argument against following a vegetarian diet?

Apparently the best source of vitamin B12 for vegetarians is nori, the seaweed in which sushi is wrapped; it's the same stuff as laver, traditionally eaten in Wales.

But to get the benefit of the B12 it has to be fresh rather than dried, and it is not readily available everywhere.

Zziggy
1211900.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
adamblack93 wrote:
A healthy, varied diet is the best way to make sure you're getting the vitamins you need.

No.

PDR
1211902.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote

It's an argument, but not the argument. As we all know, the clinching and utterly irrefutable argument against vegetarianism is Bacon.

PDR

Bondee
1211918.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Francis, or Richard?

'yorz
1211921.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Kevin

PDR
1211922.  Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Danish

14-11-2014
1213653.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Daily vitamins are only excreted if they are water soluble. Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K are all stored in the body. Overdoses of these vitamins are possible

Hence the use of vitamin D3 to kill rats with a spray.

Bremain wrote:
The chemicals pass through the ratís skin, dissolving calcium from its skeleton. The calcium enters the blood stream, causing a heart attack around 48 hours later. This is more humane than the six weeks of internal bleeding caused by standard rat poisons.

crissdee
1213672.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
adamblack93 wrote:

To some extent, yes, but this HAS to be!

adamblack93 wrote:
I take B12 supplements because my vegetarian diet has left me with a deficiency.

suze
1213742.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Yes, that was kinda what I meant.

While a whole industry has grown up around trying to tell us otherwise, a person who eats a balanced diet including meat doesn't need any dietary supplements.

I know that there are those who claim that we need Vitamin D supplements because the UK doesn't get enough sunshine to supply the amount that the body requires. I call BS here though, because we managed perfectly well in an era when no one bar members of Provisional Holland and Barrett had ever heard of vitamin supplements.

But if it the case that a person who chooses vegetarianism needs to take Vitamin B12 supplements - the jury seems to be out on this, since the government advice is that it "may be" - that suggests to me that the vegetarian diet cannot be considered balanced.

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next