View previous topic | View next topic

QI 1342

Page 1 of 1

pawncob
1210969.  Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote

It states that the last note on The Beatles "A day in the life" is so high only dogs can hear it. Human hearing, and recording equipment covers, 20-20khz, but the last note is an "E" at 41.2Hz which anyone can hear.
I think they may need to listen to it again.

 
Spud McLaren
1210971.  Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote

How do you know it's an E? If it's too high to hear, you wouldn't have heard it. ;-)

Welcome to the QI forums!

 
pawncob
1211015.  Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote

It's 41Hz. That's bottom E on a bass guitar.

 
Spud McLaren
1211018.  Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Well, that's what you heard ...

If there was a note of > 21kH after that, how would you know?

 
pawncob
1211234.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote

The point is the author is confusing the penultimate note ( a very high crescendo, with the final note a (a 30 second bass note). Get the facts right and save the world.

 
'yorz
1211235.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote

I always thought that a crescendo was a gradual increase in loudness, but indeed it also seems to qualify for loudest point.
The things you learn here.... :-)

 
Spud McLaren
1211239.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote

pawncob wrote:
The point is the author is confusing the penultimate note ( a very high crescendo, with the final note a (a 30 second bass note). Get the facts right and save the world.
The penultimate note sounds to me as if played on a trumpet, and plainly audible. The 30-second decaying sound sounds more like a bass chord to me. I don't have the equipment to find out whether a high-frequency note was recorded after that - there's quite a run-off before the recording actually ends.
'yorz wrote:
I always thought that a crescendo was a gradual increase in loudness, but indeed it also seems to qualify for loudest point.
Good lord, you're right. That never used to be the case. Another instance of so many people getting it wrong, it becomes right.

 
'yorz
1211247.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote

Well, colour me stubborn but I will stick to the old meaning.

 
Spud McLaren
1211249.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote

D'accord.

 
PDR
1211250.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote

If I knew where your stubborn was I'd be right there, sharpie in hand...

PDR

 
'yorz
1211251.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote

Spare me your puerile innuendo.

 
Bondee
1211259.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
The penultimate note sounds to me as if played on a trumpet, and plainly audible. The 30-second decaying sound sounds more like a bass chord to me. I don't have the equipment to find out whether a high-frequency note was recorded after that - there's quite a run-off before the recording actually ends.


It's an E major played simultaneously on three pianos and a harmonium.

source

However, this is not the final note on the album. There's a locked run-out groove which contains the note that's only audible to dogs.

It would seem that it's not the Elves who need to listen to Sgt. Pepper again.

 
Spud McLaren
1211271.  Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't matter who needs to listen to it - unless they're canine, they won't hear the note ...

 
brucefountain
1226793.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Doesn't matter who needs to listen to it - unless they're canine, they won't hear the note ...


On the internet no one can tell you're a dog.
... unless you foolishly admit to hearing the last note on sgt peppers.

 
Jenny
1226798.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote

Ha! Welcome Brucefountain :-)

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group