View previous topic | View next topic

Leidenfrost effect

Page 1 of 1

Osireion
1210535.  Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote

Stephen asked for suggestion to a possible use of this effect.

Well, I'm not there yet, but could this not be the same (protective) effect underway during fire-walking !?

Wayne.

Spud McLaren
1210539.  Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote

Dunno. Apparently it is possible to quickly dip a wet finger into molten lead without injury, due to this effect. How you wet the finger is up to you.

Incidentally, has anyone ever noticed a similar-looking effect where water droplets run across the surface of water, but mainly in straight lines? I remember seeing it a few times, but not lately. The usual place was at my grandmother's house, when she was washing up. There was no running hot water, so she'd have a bowl of cold water, add washing soda, then pour in boiling water from a kettle. I'm wondering whether that particular combination of circumstances was what caused it. Anyone?

14-11-2014
1210625.  Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Stephen asked for suggestion to a possible use of this effect.

Well, I'm not there yet, but could this not be the same (protective) effect underway during fire-walking !?

The leidenfrost effect requires heat. Fire-walkers try to avoid heat.

crissdee
1210671.  Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote

Yeah, but walking across a bed of red-hot embers makes that rather difficult, and it has been suggested that the leidenfrost effect is what stops them emerging from the pit on two charred stumps. What seems more likely is that with a reasonably limber stride, no part of the foot is in contact with the heat for long enough to get very hot.

Spud McLaren
1210679.  Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote

Firewalking doesn't involve the Leidenfrost effect.

crissdee
1210687.  Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote

I could never imagine that there would be enough moisture in the system for it to affect the result.

Celebaelin
1210748.  Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Pessimist!

Page 1 of 1