View previous topic | View next topic

Deep Fried Mars Bars

Page 1 of 1

Staggieman
1210247.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote

Enough of the myth of Scottish people living on a diet of Deep Fried Mars Bars. The show itself stated that the Scots get their main source of sugar from fruit. Scotland's larder is rich with Angus beef Steak , the finest free range beef in Europe, West Coast caught Langoustines provide the best restaurants in Paris, chanterelle mushrooms... the finest Salmon... the worlds best Malt Whisky... lamb and pork all farmed in Scotland. Arbroath Smokies and Cullen Skink the finest smoked fish. Not to mention the huge free range wild herds of Red Deer roaming the Highlands for venison.
Scotland also makes large amounts of honey and has rich crops of raspberries and Strawberries. .... I've lived my life in Scotland I've never eaten a deep fried Mars Bars or know where you fine such a thing....
While England stuffs itself on KFC , MacDonald's and Burger King....Scotland has an incredible supply of the finest free range natural foods in Europe.
So enough of the QI perpetual myth of Deep Fried Mars bars....its annoying....but more importantly its a lie.... I noticed how annoyed Sandi got at Rob pushing the idea of her own country only got 1 and half hours of day light.... Its frustrating when something not true is pushed as a stereotype about your home country.

suze
1210248.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps you should tell this establishment, which claims to have invented the Deep Fried Mars Bar.

It is in Scotland.

Staggieman
1210249.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote

They may have invented it and it may haven been in Scotland ....and eaten by some Scottish folk. But to define an entire nation as Deep Fried Mars Bar eaters is wrong. That's like saying that The English explorers who went on the Franklyn expedition to find the North West Passage and ended up eating each other is an example of English cuisine.
Oh yes the English....they do like the taste of human flesh. .

Spud McLaren
1210252.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote

There were several stories going the rounds in the 1970s about Scotland having the highest rate of heart disease in Europe, due to diet. If that were ever true, it appears not to be so now.

These stories hang around a long while after their sell-by date.

brunel
1210265.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
There were several stories going the rounds in the 1970s about Scotland having the highest rate of heart disease in Europe, due to diet. If that were ever true, it appears not to be so now.

These stories hang around a long while after their sell-by date.

Mind you, that source you link to does also indicate that certain unhealthy living traits are more prevalent amongst some parts of the population of Scotland (for example, smoking rates amongst young adult males tending to be higher in Scotland when compared to the rest of the UK), which is probably why some of those stories have tended to linger.

As it stands, I believe that the Chief Medical Officer for Scotland has talked about the fact that there is a rather pronounced "Glasgow effect" when it comes to looking at premature mortality rates in Scotland.

Across all age and socio-economic groups in Glasgow, mortality rates are some of the highest in the country, and I believe that the Calton district of Glasgow has some of the worst life expectancy rates in the whole of Western Europe. As the largest city in Scotland, it ends up giving a disproportionately negative image of the health of Scotland as a whole.

Spud McLaren
1210266.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote

I wondered if there was a Glasgow skew effect, but didn't dig deep enough to verify it.

Jenny
1210432.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote

To be fair, the show went out of its way to debunk the deep fried mars bar effect.

Alexander Howard
1210485.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Scotland does suffer from clichés, often self-imposed. Step a few yards across the Tweed and it is wall to wall tartan, whisky, shortbread, cuddly haggises and "your clan name" in the shops. If my Lowland ancestors had even seen a man in tartan they'd have chased him off with pitchforks ("and he hae nae breeks on!") Haggis was once better known in Lancashire than the Highlands.

Now the tourist authorities squash all local distinctiveness in favour of a uniform 'Scotland theme park' approach. It would be like walking into Carlisle and finding everything themed on Poldark in Cockney rhyming slang and served up with Lancashire hotpot and Wensleydale, because that's English so that's what England is.

PDR
1210512.  Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote

What, you mean that the highlands are non populated exclusively by kilt-wearing caber-tossers who farm nothing but sheep and whisky-cows and survive on a diet of haggis an Scotch whilst torturing foreigners with the screams of the bagpipe and interminable displays of country dancing?

Damn! That's MY world view shaken to the core...

:0)

PDR

dstarfire
1227520.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote

It's not just the Scottish. EVERY nationality, race, religion, or group of people is defined in other people's heads by stereotypes. Anybody with a bit of exposure or education knows these are not accurate views of the world.

I think Dara O'Briain explained it best in this comedy bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcfepInd8q0.

Jenny
1227563.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote

And how about the song of patriotic prejudice?

Page 1 of 1