View previous topic | View next topic

Series N - North Norse

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

14-11-2014
1210380.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Sandi said "Now we're going to the best country in the world, which is of course Denmark." I had a good laugh at it, probably mostly because I knew most viewers wouldn't understand it.

Self-following (?) the speed didn't help. Reading does. I would have understood at least 50% of the words, but there was not enough context to understand the whole sentence perfectly.

Celebaelin
1210388.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote

Self-evidently I guess.

'yorz
1210394.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote

...which I thought was self-evidently. :)

14-11-2014
1210397.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote

Sloppy Google: følge is "follow" indeed, but følgelig is "accordingly,".

Hjælp!

Alfred E Neuman
1210403.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

Evidently not.

14-11-2014
1210404.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote

The meaning was already clear, unlike the composition of the word...

PDR
1210407.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that the programme did mention the Richard III/Shakespere connection.

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Dix
1210430.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
'yorz wrote:

Evidently not.

It is. Self-evidently, obviously, of course, naturally, take your pick.

http://ordnet.dk/ods/ordbog?query=selvf%C3%B8lgelig&tab=rel

14-11-2014
1210431.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Self-evidently, obviously, of course, naturally, take your pick.

I was just wondering what the wrong translation was, hence self-following. Since then Google has confirmed self and follow...

Jenny
1210434.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this whole show - one of the funniest for ages.

Olinguito
1210440.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed it too – except for Rhod Gilbert: he is not funny at all, and is downright annoying.

Ian Dunn
1210754.  Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote

Some relevant news: "hygge" has made into Collins' Words of the Year. Here is their full list.

Quote:
Brexit (ˈbrɛɡzɪt) noun: the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union

dude food (ˈduːd ˌfuːd) noun: junk food such as hot dogs, burgers, etc considered particularly appealing to men

hygge (ˈhyɡə) noun: a concept, originating in Denmark, of creating cosy and convivial atmospheres that promote wellbeing

JOMO (ˈdʒəʊməʊ) noun acronym joy of missing out: pleasure gained from enjoying one’s current activities without worrying that other people are having more fun

mic drop (ˈmaɪk ˌdrɒp) noun: a theatrical gesture in which a person drops (or imitates the action of dropping) a hand-held microphone to the ground as the finale to a speech or performance

sharenting (ˈʃɛərəntɪŋ) noun: the habitual use of social media to share news, images, etc of one’s children

snowflake generation (ˈsnəʊfleɪk dʒɛnəˌreɪʃən) noun: the young adults of the 2010s, viewed as being less resilient and more prone to taking offence than previous generations

throw shade (ˌθrəʊ ˈʃeɪd) verb: to make a public show of contempt for someone or something, often in a subtle or non-verbal manner

Trumpism (ˈtrʌmpɪzəm) noun: (1) the policies advocated by the US politician Donald Trump, especially those involving a rejection of the current political establishment and the vigorous pursuit of American national interests (2) a controversial or outrageous statement attributed to Donald Trump

uberization (ˌuːbəraɪˈzeɪʃən) noun: the adoption of a business model in which services are offered on demand through direct contact between a customer and supplier, usually via mobile technology

Source: The Bookseller

Jaromil
1211188.  Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
When I went to Copenhagen a few years back, the thing that surprised me about the Mermaid is how small she is - she's scarcely four feet tall. You don't really get that from, for instance, the stock photograph which was used on last night's show.

I'm spending this week in Copenhagen, and just a couple of hours ago I visited the Mermaid. Now, I did know she was supposed to be small, so I had the opposite surprise - I expected something minuscule, like the Mona Lisa, but in fact, the statue looked to me pretty much life-size - especially considering the Mermaid's young age (15?).

crissdee
1211209.  Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:

Brexit
dude food
hygge
JOMO
mic drop
sharenting
snowflake generation
throw shade
Trumpism
uberization

Other than the first and third, I had heard of none of these, but was at least able to relate to the concepts, except "mic drop". I have never seen this done in any performance by anybody.

suze
1211212.  Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote

Barack Obama is probably the person most associated with it.

He did it first on a talk show, apparently channeling Eddie Murphy who also did it on a talk show some years ago. More recently he did it at the end of a political speech, and he's also done it for laughs with Prince Harry in a promotional video for the Invictus Games.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next