View previous topic | View next topic

Series N - North Norse

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

14-11-2014
1210213.  Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Recycled Bluetooth, QI S02E09 wrote:
"Bluetooth" is the answer. Harald Bluetooth was a king -- that united . . . united Finland and Sweden and Norway, and when Eriksson and Nokia and all the others you mentioned were thinking of a . . . a unified approach to wireless connection between mobile phones they . . . they called it Bluetooth, in his honour.

CharliesDragon
1210216.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote

There's been some other recycled facts in recent seasons, I've just decided to accept it and move on.

The beginning of the episode felt rather like a trainwreck with the contestants failing to name things that are actually Danish, the middle felt a lot like herding cats, and I like it.

I managed to get the right answer to at least two questions, the picture of Niagara Falls, and what Denmark exports the most of. The reason I know Denmark is a big exporter of sperm I think is that I read an article about how they're no longer accepting donations from redheads because they have enough and there's not that much of a demand for it.

I'm of course happy there were a few facts about Norway thrown in. I know we've discussed the explosive nature of lemmings on these forums, and I'm happy to see it reach a wider audience.

Aphilli99
1210217.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote

I love Sandi and no-one else could have replaced Stephen Fry. I know she is Danish but I can only assume she has never been to Copenhagen. She mention swimming out to the Little Mermaid in the harbour. She's actually just off the path in the park next to the harbour and you step across about 6 inches of water to get to her.

14-11-2014
1210218.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote

Quote:
There's been some other recycled facts in recent seasons, I've just decided to accept it and move on.

You don't have to be emotionally upset by recycled facts to mention this. Stopping it from happening too frequently may be a goal too.

Quote:
a few facts about Norway thrown in

I don't have a top 10 of best QI episodes ever, but some episodes dedicated to other countries are candidates. Europe, France.

I quickly tried to google the American "I have been to <small country but not Denmark>, I love Copenhagen!", but I couldn't find a good original source. It's older than CNN's "Copenhagen is the capital of <wrong small country>" in 2013.

crissdee
1210227.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote

Aphilli99 wrote:
I love Sandi and no-one else could have replaced Stephen Fry. I know she is Danish but I can only assume she has never been to Copenhagen. She mention swimming out to the Little Mermaid in the harbour. She's actually just off the path in the park next to the harbour and you step across about 6 inches of water to get to her.

Doesn't it depend which side of the harbour you're coming from? I spent a week in Malmo some years ago, with a day trip to Copenhagen, and the nearest we got to the mermaid was a couple of hundred yards away on a ferry.

suze
1210231.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote

Aphilli99 wrote:
I know she is Danish but I can only assume she has never been to Copenhagen.

Sandi was actually born in Copenhagen, but has spent really quite a small amount of her life in Denmark. Her late father was Danish television's leading foreign correspondent, as a result of which Sandi spent most of her childhood in first New York and then London.

When he retired from television, Toksvig Senior returned to Denmark and went into politics there - but Sandi was an adult by then, and stayed in London.

In any case, one could approach Den Lille Havfrue by swimming across from Amager, the island on which Copenhagen's eastern suburbs are located. Maybe there are fewer CCTV cameras facing the water, and so it is the approach of choice for those with nefarious intent.

When I went to Copenhagen a few years back, the thing that surprised me about the Mermaid is how small she is - she's scarcely four feet tall. You don't really get that from, for instance, the stock photograph which was used on last night's show.

Now, I have two questions. One is for the Danish speakers in our midst (I know we have at least two, and our Norwegian speaker would probably be able to answer as well), and there are a couple of points for the other.

1. What did Sandi say in Danish? Was it actually the same as what she'd just said in English, or was it something unspeakably vulgar that we're not supposed to understand?

2. Why is it that the Mermaid's head was modeled on one woman, but her breasts were modeled on a different woman?

'yorz
1210233.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
2. Why is it that the Mermaid's head was modeled on one woman, but her breasts were modeled on a different woman?

According to Wiki:

Quote:
The statue was commissioned in 1909 by Carl Jacobsen, son of the founder of Carlsberg, who had been fascinated by a ballet about the fairytale in Copenhagen's Royal Theatre and asked the ballerina, Ellen Price, to model for the statue. The sculptor Edvard Eriksen created the bronze statue, which was unveiled on August 23, 1913.[5] The statue's head was modelled after Price, but as the ballerina did not agree to model in the nude, the sculptor's wife, Eline Eriksen, was used for the body.[5]

CharliesDragon
1210235.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote

Sandi said "Now we're going to the best country in the world, which is of course Denmark." I had a good laugh at it, probably mostly because I knew most viewers wouldn't understand it. It's not much of a joke to be in on, but I'll take it.

As for the modelling of the mermaid, it's perfectly possible for one part of a woman's body to be pleasing/just what the sculpture wanted, but another not being as fitting, so they mixed and matched. I don't know the exact reason for why they did that with the mermaid, though.

suze
1210237.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote

'yorz gets the points.

Ellen Price was a ballet dancer who was a celebrity in Denmark at the time, and the Carlsberg people hired her to model for the Mermaid.

But once the sculptor Edvard Eriksen had finished doing Fru Price's head, the ballerina announced that she wasn't taking her top off for him. Accordingly, only the head is that of Fru Price, while the boobs are Hr Eriksen's wife's. 34C, according to protestors who attempted to cover them with a brassiere.

Dix
1210269.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Aphilli99 wrote:

Doesn't it depend which side of the harbour you're coming from? I spent a week in Malmo some years ago, with a day trip to Copenhagen, and the nearest we got to the mermaid was a couple of hundred yards away on a ferry.

True, but mentioning swimming out to her in connection with the antics that involved sawing various bits off doesn't make much sense. No swimming needed at all.

Alfred E Neuman
1210270.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
34C, according to protestors who attempted to cover them with a brassiere.

Considering the statue is only about 4' high, that's reasonably large, proportionately.

Dix
1210271.  Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Recycled Bluetooth, QI S02E09 wrote:
"Bluetooth" is the answer. Harald Bluetooth was a king -- that united . . . united Finland and Sweden and Norway, and when Eriksson and Nokia and all the others you mentioned were thinking of a . . . a unified approach to wireless connection between mobile phones they . . . they called it Bluetooth, in his honour.

I'm not sure I'd refer to this as a recycled fact. Finland???? What was Stephen thinking?

Olinguito
1210376.  Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
1. What did Sandi say in Danish?

Something like: Nu skal vi [???] det bedste land i verden, det er selvfølgelig Danmark.

14-11-2014
1210378.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote

Quote:

No 888 subtitles in Danish nor English...

Dix
1210379.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote

Olinguito wrote:
suze wrote:

Something like: Nu skal vi [???] det bedste land i verden, det er selvfølgelig Danmark.

Nu skal vi afsted til det bedste land i verden, det er selvfølgelig Danmark

Exactly as already translated by CharliesDragon a while ago.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next