View previous topic | View next topic

Series N - Names XL version

Page 1 of 1

Wilki
1209700.  Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Hello there,

I have been a fan of the show since the beginning and have just watched the XL version of the latest episode, Names, and noticed something that made me want to share.

While discussing who's name is the most common, Sandi Toksvig mentions there was a tribe of people known as the Alan Tribe who lived in the Crocuses Mountains. To which Alan replies he didn't know that. This fact however, was covered in series A - episode 10 'Aviation' while also discussing names and their meanings. Obviously it's been a long time between these two occurrences but it popped into my head and I couldn't shake it so wondered if anyone else had spotted it.

Love the show and think Sandi is a great addition as host :)

Jenny
1209734.  Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote

Hi Wilki and welcome to the forums :-)

Must check that repetition...

Dix
1209739.  Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote

I think Wilki is right. Can't think of any other show where the Alans would have been mentioned, and they definitely have been mentioned earlier.

suze
1209756.  Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote

The ethnic group known today as the Ossetians (a Georgian exonym, in their own language the Irtt) are the descendants of the Alans.

Some will have heard of a Russian football team called Alanija Vladikavkaz (in Russian, in Ossetian Alani Dzudzyqu). That team is no more - it went bust earlier this year - but it was based in Vladikavkaz which is the capital of Russian North Ossetia. The team's name means "Alanland".

The Alans and subsequently the Ossetians have been predominantly Christian since the 5th century; Islam never took hold among them as it did in many other parts of the Caucasus. In recent time, though, an ancient folk religion called cgdin has been revived, and as many as one third of the Ossetians now practice this polytheistic religion which has the advantage - as they see it - of being neither Russian nor Georgian. It has the Christian God as but one of a number of deities, alongside St George, St Peter, a variety of animal gods, and the evil Alardy who has the power to give you smallpox.

CB27
1209763.  Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I think the Alans were mentioned more than once in the past on Qi, but Alan (the one on the TV show) has a habit of forgetting things, or sometimes remembering things he thought he'd heard elsewhere, only to find out it was on a previous episode of Qi :)

It might also have been the way Sandi put the question, for a moment even I thought she was talking about a current group of people called Alans, not as an old ethnic name, it might be that Alan jumped in with a "No" before realising what she meant.

Olinguito
1209829.  Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote

The subject of Alan was indeed mentioned in the episode alluded to by the OP https://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/transcripts/1x10:

Quote:
Stephen
QI makes the modest claim that even the dullest things can be quite interesting if looked at in the right way. We take this challenge seriously enough to dedicate the next round to the apparently-tedious subject of "Alans". And not only dull, but quite possibly obsolete. Alan was the eighth-most popular male name in England in 1944, but crashed . . . . . . It crashed out of the top hundred four years ago*; shows no sign of returning. Is it because people have realised it's an anagram of "anal"? Erm . . .

*From the point of view of 2003.

Stephen went on to ask where most of the worlds Alans could be found apparently its land, a Swedish-speaking region of Finland, which Alan Davies thought was a land. And after a bit more talking

Quote:
Stephen
--means "rock" or "pebble". You'll actually find most of them not in any Celtic country, but on the Russian border in the northern Caucuses Mountains, where the Alan tribe have lived since being driven there by the Huns in the 4th century. The Alans--

Alan
That was a bad weekend.

Celebaelin
1210282.  Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote

The Alans were

Quote:
...a race of degenerate bastards...

according to the Romans if memory serves. Stephen observed that his father was one (an Alan by name not, presumably, a degenerate bastard).

Page 1 of 1