View previous topic | View next topic

QI Friday 21/10/16

Page 1 of 1

balbridie
1209467.  Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Sandi Toksvig said that a "stoor sooker" is a Scottish neoligism for a vacuum cleaner from "stair sucker". Not so. Stoor is Scots for dust thus dust sucker

crissdee
1209470.  Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Quickest quibble ever!!!!!!

Welcome balbridie!

Jenny
1209486.  Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote

Hi balbridie and welcome :-)

Dix
1209501.  Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:51 am Reply with quote

The Danish word is "stÝvsuger" (dust sucker). I'm slightly surprised Sandi didn't pick up on that, especially with the way stoor sooker was pronounced in the show (no idea if it was correct or not). Or maybe she did notice but just didn't follow it up.

grueliie23
1237004.  Fri May 12, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote

I saw from this night's episode of QI that 'Stoor-sooker' has entered the Scots vocabulary. It was erroneously described as 'stair sucker'. 'Stoor' is Scots fir 'dust' so it literally mean 'dust sucker'. I remember coining the term 'Stoor-sooker' with other Orkney & Shetland students at Heriot-Watt University in the mid-1980s. We were extremely amused to find that the Norwegian & Dutch names for Vacuum Cleaner sounded very similar to 'Stoor-sooker', which was instantly recognisable to us. We, from thereon, referred to our hoovers as stoor-sookers rather than vacuum cleaners. I am delighted, but not totally surprised, to see that this has entered the general Scots vocabulary. I am not saying that 'stoor-sooker' was not created independently elsewhere, but I know one of its sources was mid-1980s Heriot-Watt Uni amongst some Orkney & Shetland students.

Page 1 of 1