View previous topic | View next topic

tick bites can save the world!

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Spud McLaren
1207909.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote

What she says is not inaccurate, though.

Strawberry
1207911.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote

Huh, the title of this thread sounds like something out of science fiction. :P

barbados
1207915.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

A bit like suggesting that vegetarians are stealing the food from the mouths of animals ;)

14-11-2014
1207917.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:

It's radicalism, unless you ignore the fact that eating a corpse of a baby pig is unusual. Pig farming involves raising and breeding. This thread did expose scavengers like her, but humans aren't scavengers. No corpse, no baby, no accuracy.

barbados
1207919.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote

we also don't generally eat baby pig.

Zziggy
1207923.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Zziggy wrote:
.........impregnate a pig in order to kill its baby so that you can eat its corpse.......

While I completely respect your choice to be a vegetarian, using emotive language like this is not going to change anyone's mind about the matter. It rather makes you come across as the simpering fool I am pretty sure you are not. Just stick to "breeding pigs for meat" and we all know what is involved.

What I said is accurate. What you said is a euphemism. If you're happy doing it, you should be happy saying it.

PDR
1207924.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote

Says the vegetable murderer!

PDR

crissdee
1207941.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote

Ziggy, what you said is an overly emotive way of describing what happens, it is also inaccurate, as barb pointed out. Pigs are bred, which involves impregnation of sows by boars (except on some VERY controversial farms!) New born pigs are called piglets, unless you are talking to a four-year-old, which none of us are. Slaughtering piglets would rather be like a factory owner smashing up a machine before it had done any of the work he bought it for. No one, unless they are very hungry indeed, will eat the "corpse" of a pig. Various joints and slices of parts of a pig will be eaten, Quite a lot will not.

I cannot see how what I said is any kind of euphemism, it is a grown-up way of describing the process. Pigs are bred for the meat, meat is what some humans eat. I am so comfortable with what that entails I once stood in my kitchen, gnawing on the leg of a lamb I had seen gambolling round a field not three days earlier, having also watched it being butchered with one of my knives.

Please don't construe this as any kind of personal insult, I completely respect your position, please have the courtesy to respect mine.

Zziggy
1207944.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote

It is not overly emotive.

Pigs are bred by the farmer to make baby pigs, also known as piglets, which are generally then killed at between three and six months old. Its corpse is then chopped up and processed in various ways and bits of it are put into sandwiches, sausages, etc, and eaten. All of this happens every day on an industrial scale.

I fail to see how any of that is "overly emotive" rather than, say, a completely neutral description of the process.

PDR
1207947.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote

Yes, those are very good points. But as we're talking about BACON this is an argument you just won't win.

PDR

Zziggy
1207950.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote

Darn. And here I thought today was the day :P

Spud McLaren
1207951.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Yes, those are very good points. But as we're talking about BACON this is an argument you just won't win.
Splitting hairs, as we often do here, bacon doesn't come from 3-6 month old pigs as they're not big enough.

Spud McLaren
1207952.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Quote:
It's radicalism
And the problem with that would be ...?
Quote:
unless you ignore the fact that eating a corpse of a baby pig is unusual.
No need to ignore the "fact", because it isn't a fact; see links in posts above and below.
Quote:
Pig farming involves raising and breeding.
Correct.
Quote:
This thread did expose scavengers like her
No understandee.
Quote:
but humans aren't scavengers.
Humans are omnivores, and will scavenge as well as hunt and gather. Don't believe me? Just venture into the kitchen toward the end of a large party.
Quote:
No corpse, no baby, no accuracy.
Corpse - tick. Baby - tick. Looks accurate enough to me.

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PDR
1207954.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
Darn. And here I thought today was the day :P

And you can tell the Malt Liberation Front that their anti-whisky campaign's a non-starter as well...

PDR

Spud McLaren
1207955.  Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
we also don't generally eat baby pig.

cattle - average age at slaughter 12-18 months - average natural lifespan 20-25 years
dairy cows - average age at slaughter 3-5 years - average natural lifespan 20-25 years
bobby calves/ baby veal - average age at slaughter 1-2 weeks - average natural lifespan 20-25 years
veal (calf) - average age at slaughter 4-6 months - average natural lifespan 20-25 years
lamb - average age at slaughter 3-10 months(young lamb is often advertised as spring lamb) - average natural lifespan 15 years
broiler chickens conventional: - average age at slaughter 35-49 days - average natural lifespan 7 years
broiler chickens organic: - average age at slaughter 63-80 days - average natural lifespan 7 years
egg laying chickens - average age at slaughter 18 months - average natural lifespan 8-12 years
pigs - average age at slaughter 4-6 months - average natural lifespan 10-12 years
suckling pigs - average age at slaughter 2-6 weeks - average natural lifespan 10-12 years

- from here

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next