View previous topic | View next topic

The Wars of the Roses

Page 1 of 1

chrijeff
1207168.  Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote

Although I agree that you're right in saying that the "Wars of the Roses" weren't called that till Sir Walter Scott came up with the name, I couldn't help wondering what they [i]were[/i] called in their own time. It took some searching, but I found out, and I think this is something to which you should link. In their own time (see #3 on this page http://www.history.com/news/9-things-you-should-know-about-the-wars-of-the-roses) they were known as "the Cousins' Wars."

CB27
1207219.  Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote

I think the Cousins Wars is a dubious claim as well, and is one that's been pushed by some because of the series of books.

The first question one should ask is where the claim for the name comes from, where is the source?

Then there's the fact that, while Scott coined the term "Wars of the Roses", he didn't come up with the idea because others had used the term "roses" to identify the different factions.

Also, there's the use of the word "Wars", or even "War". While the word existed, I don't think it was widely used by people to describe the conflict they're in, or been through.

Page 1 of 1