View previous topic | View next topic

Normandy, Blackadder seen here, really ?

Page 1 of 1

pfalardeau
1202885.  Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote

D-Day landings in Normandy, June 6th 1944, a certain Blackadder was seen there.

crissdee
1202901.  Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote

Welcome pfaladeau! We tend to like rather more info than that, any chance of a source???

'yorz
1202904.  Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Allied_forces_in_the_Normandy_Campaign

Quote:
8th Canadian Infantry Brigade 6 June Brigadier Kenneth G. Blackadder

Spud McLaren
1202907.  Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote

There are quite a few Blackadders around - here's a history of the name.

A Blackadder was the BBC's Chief Medical Officer at the time of the writing/shooting of the first series, and wasn't amused.

pfalardeau
1203038.  Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote

my apologies for not immediately adding the info. Here is what i have ...

Brigadier Kenneth G. Blackadder (officer commanding 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, part of Canadian 3rd Infantry Division) during the D-Day and Normandie invasion operations.
The 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade included:
1st Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment (Lt.Col. D.B. Buell)
The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada (Lt.Col. J.G. Spragge)
Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Lt.Col. J.B. Mathieu) (french speaking regiment from Quebec City)
Ref: Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Allied_forces_in_the_Normandy_Campaign
last viewed 2016-08-26

A great book on the subject is:
Juno Beach, Canada's D-Day Victory, by Mark Zuehlke, 2004, Douglas & McIntyre Ltd publ.

Blackadder's brigade actions are detailed (summary here) as landing as reserves after the main force had taken JUNO beach, to find they are still taking fire from German artillery. They start taking the lead as the Canadians forces start moving inland, trying to eliminate the enemy observers still directing fire on the beaches.Through the bravery and quick thinking actions of his and so many others on that day, most of there first day objectives were reached though feeling more and more resistance from german forces as they moved deeper inland.

if you want a copy of the book, let me know, i can send you my copy (would love to add to your QI library). Also, i live close to Ottawa, where Canadian DnD (Department of National Defense) archives are, i can get more info if you desire and possibly look for photos.

All the best. Keep it Interesting :)

Page 1 of 1