View previous topic | View next topic

Dogs bollocks

Page 1 of 1

Oldwonky
1201922.  Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote

This came from a decoration on gypsy caravans, where a gypsy was trying to think of a new design for the arch on the front and back of a bow top caravan. He happened to be looking at the back end of his male dog at the time and was inspired by the dogs bollocks, which is why the decoration on the arch on some of the caravans are arranged in pairs. Hence the saying "it's the dogs bollocks"

Spud McLaren
1201926.  Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, O.W.!

Well, I've looked at about 150 pictures of different gypsy caravans; I found one caravan with round objects over the arch, but there were three of them arranged like a pawnbroker's sign, or the sign of St Nicolas. The only other caravan I could find with a pair of objects over the arch could have been displaying an open book or maybe a butterfly; certainly if my dog's testicles were that shape he'd be off to the vet's in a trice.

I can't find any other reference to the story, either. Could you disclose your source?

Missbralia
1213584.  Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote

Although I dont have one yet, I think the Dogs playing poker is a must for a home poker room. It's a classic

ali
1213591.  Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote

post 4106

Alexander Howard
1215845.  Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote

This one was done thoroughly on 'Balderdash and Piffle' with Victoria Coren (as she was then). A decorator claimed to have invented it in a reverse-slang version of 'the cat's whiskers', and found all his mates quickly picking it up and using the phrase. There was no documentary evidence though.

If anyone has an update on that, it would be quite interesting.

Page 1 of 1