View previous topic | View next topic

Non-Christian Christmas Special

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

eggshaped
68363.  Wed May 03, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote

Not exactly christmas, but I think it will do for starters.

Question: On what day of the year do more people celebrate their birthday?

Answer: On the seventh day of the Chinese new year.

Notes:

Everybody's Birthday or Yan Yat, is the seventh day of the Chinese New Year, and the day when a billion Chinese people celebrate their birthday. They are deemed to be a year older on that day, regardless of what the actual date of birth is.

According to legend the first eight days of the Chinese New Year different living things were created, namely chickens, dogs, pigs, goats, cows, horses, human beings and crops.

Celebrations involve a meal traditionally comprising of raw fish (Yee Sang) and 7 other condiments; everybody joining in must participate in mixing the indredients with chopsticks and raising the ingredients as high as possible to bring forth roaring business and long life.

http://www.insead.edu/inspire/index018.html
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/goodbites/Article/20040915114938/moreA_html
http://totallyhk.scmp.com/thkarts/cny2006/traditionsandcustoms.html

eggshaped
68368.  Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote

Question: - What festival am I describing?

"takes place in December, homes are decorated, presents are given, trees are decorated, role reversal, wild parties, drinking, eating..."

Answer: - Saturnalia, as practised by the Romans.

More to follow... here's some links

http://paganwiccan.about.com/cs/aboutyule/a/paganxmas.htm
http://www.novaroma.org/religio_romana/saturnalia.html
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/calendar/saturnalia.html

MatC
68385.  Wed May 03, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I've got some Jesus/Mithras stuff somewhere, if that's any use; both born on the 25th December to a virgin etc etc ...

Frederick The Monk
68395.  Wed May 03, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote

List of possible subjects now going round by email BTW.

Mithras is a definite!

MatC
68446.  Thu May 04, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote

Please see post 17148

MatC
68447.  Thu May 04, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote

Please see post 62068

MatC
68451.  Thu May 04, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote

This is actually an extract from a Christmas-themed crime novella I wrote a couple of years ago; I researched it all at the time, and then threw away the notes once the book was published ... but I can re-find sources, and/or expand on this if required:

“Mithras was born in a cave on December 25th, of a virgin, attended by shepherds. He died and was resurrected to redeem sinful mankind. He had twelve disciples, who ate the blood and flesh of God at mass, and he treated them to a last supper of bread and wine.” [...] “Point being, Sol and Apollo were also born on December 25th. That date was only chosen for Jesus’s birth about three hundred years after the supposed event. It’s a midwinter festival, that’s all, a way for rural people to mark an astronomical event, and it’s been kidnapped by every bloody religion going since forever.”

Molly Cule
68679.  Fri May 05, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote

According to the Julian calendar, Isaac Newton was born on 25th December. A few people who love Newton have a celebration of science on the day. They call the day Newtonmas or Gravmas.

The symbol of Newtonmas is the apple. Some people decorate apple trees, or decorate trees with apples, either way round will do. Then they give each other educational gifts - books, CD's or tickets to lectures etc. One Newtonmas website says, after giving each other presents its time for the most important Newtonmas tradition---procrastination. “Now that you have new sources of knowledge, it's time to get busy not absorbing their contents. Eat a big meal, take a nap, talk with friends and family. Just do anything but be productive.” …. Rather like Christmas then.
S:http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/iblog/GWPublications/C1045275013/E664819225/

Molly Cule
68680.  Fri May 05, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote

Flash.. if you put in James' question about Chinese New Year I spy a perfect link to Chinese men in nappies... no? Excellent : )

eggshaped
68683.  Fri May 05, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote

I read that (for an average apple) the force exerted on an apple stalk when it is hanging from a tree is 1 Newton. Which would be nice if true.

Sounds about right, 0.1kg apple, 10m/s/s acceleration due to gravity.

I would ideally like to speak to a chinese person about that birthday thing. There's just not quite enough on the net. But hey, any excuse to talk about nappies.

MatC
68750.  Sat May 06, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know when Christmas was invented? Apparently it wasn’t an early Christian festival, and (again, apparently) there’s no suggestion in the Bible that Jesus' birthday should be marked or celebrated (or even known) in any way*. So, when was the first Xmas? And was that the year when the Vicar of Dibley Christmas Special was shown on BBC1 for the third time?

*Which is why many fundamentalist Protestants (USians, mostly) campaign against Christmas, as their English ancestors did in the 17th century (or “Now,” as it’s called in the USA). They believe it is an inherently Papist/Satanist festival, designed to invite demons into the heart of Christian families. “Christians Against Christmas” might be a topic worth a brief look?

(I’ve just googled that phrase, “Christians Against Christmas,” and there is indeed a such-named movement.)

Molly Cule
69046.  Tue May 09, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote

Papers, Scissors, and Stone is a Far Eastern game originally played during Chinese New Year.

When the game first arrived in Japan it was an adult drinking game played in drinking places and red-light districts.

In Korea the game is called 'Kai bai bo', where kai is scissors, bai is rock, and bo is cloth or paper.

In Thailand it is the same and called 'Janjii'.

In India and Indonesia, and on Bali, the game is played with elephant, human and ant, where elephant beats human and human beats ant.

Frederick The Monk
69078.  Tue May 09, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Does anyone know when Christmas was invented?

The 25th December was agreed as the date for Christmas in the UK at the Synod of Chelsea in 816.

Cookey83
151578.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote

Why have I heard that the real birth of Christ happened on 5th December? Where is that from? I know the Dutch celebrate Sinter Klaas on that day, where a man supprisingly like Santa Claus come and gives fruit to malnourished Arabian children (in Arabia, which makes little sense why they celebrate it in the Netherlands, other than Tulips came from near-off Turkey) and it still doesn't explain why the Dutch celebate this day by giving chocolate instead of fruit. Sounds double-dutch to me....

shiroanubis
888981.  Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote

Hai, i'm interested in this topic very much. but something have crossed my mind. Why do we often celebrate Christmas bigger and merrier than the passover ? i've searched in Bible, God never ask us to celebrate Christmas. but i also found some interesting themes in Bible. i.e :

Numbers 9 : 2 "Let the children of Israel also keep the passover at his appointed season. "

Deuteronomy 16:1 "Observe the month of Abib, and keep the passover unto the LORD thy God: for in the month of Abib the LORD thy God brought thee forth out of Egypt by night. "

Ezekiel 45:21 "In the first month. in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten."

So, anyone please kindly answer my question "Why do we celebrate Christmas more than the Passover ?"

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next