View previous topic | View next topic

Married by a Captain

Page 1 of 1

dgray21781
1197582.  Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote

In episode 6 (Marriage and Matings) it was wrong to say "The only person who could marry you at sea would be someone who is officially registered to do so like a priest. The idea that the ship's captain can marry you is a myth"

and in the XL version the follow up was "The only country in the world where a captain can marry you is Japan, but the couple also has to be Japanese."

I am a Captain on a cruise ship and only today conducted a legally binding wedding of a British couple. The ship is registered in Bermuda and under Bermudan Law the Captain can indeed marry people. The ship must be in international waters i.e. outside 12 miles from any land.

crissdee
1197592.  Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote

aye aye Cap'n!!! And welcome!

'yorz
1197593.  Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote

I would be very disappointed if Rosie Sayer and Charlie Allnut had not got legally wed. Some things are sacred.

Welcome aboard, Cap'n. *long whistle*

Jenny
1197610.  Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Captain! And thanks for the quibble.

14-11-2014
1197650.  Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote

https://www.gov.bm/sites/default/files/Maritime%20Marriage%20Act%201999.pdf

suze
1197670.  Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote

Well found, 14.

At this point, I was going to invoke the Pointless definition of a country and note that Bermuda isn't one (it's a British Overseas Territory). Accordingly, Japan would remain the only country in which ships' captains can solemnize marriages on the high seas.

Only thing is, I think there might be one more. Liberia is well known as a flag of convenience for merchant shipping, and has the second largest merchant fleet of any nation in the world. Peculiarly, the Republic of Liberia outsources the registry and administration of that fleet, and it's run by a company called Liberian International Ship & Corporate Registry LLC out of Vienna VA (a suburb of Washington DC).

That organization states on its website that a marriage performed by a master at sea on board a Liberian flag vessel is valid. It cites 297 of the Liberian Maritime Regulations as saying so, but you can read those regulations in this PDF, and 297 does not in fact say that. This is puzzling; why would the registry company make that claim if it's simply not true?

If Liberia has the world's second largest merchant fleet, Panama has the largest. What's more, Panama is nearly as much of a US puppet as is Liberia, and I dare say that Washington had quite a lot of input into both countries' codes of marine regulations.

That's leading me wonder whether Panama too might allow ships' captains to solemnize marriages - but the regulations that you'd need to read for that will be in Spanish, and my Spanish is rather limited.

(EDITED to correct misplaced apostrophe. Hey, I'm only an English teacher ...)

Last edited by suze on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

crissdee
1197675.  Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
......... Rosie Sayer and Charlie Allnut........

"African Queen" yes? If so, great movie with two of my all-time favourite stars.

Alexander Howard
1228344.  Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote

dgray21781 wrote:
In episode 6 (Marriage and Matings) it was wrong to say "The only person who could marry you at sea would be someone who is officially registered to do so like a priest. The idea that the ship's captain can marry you is a myth"

and in the XL version the follow up was "The only country in the world where a captain can marry you is Japan, but the couple also has to be Japanese."

I am a Captain on a cruise ship and only today conducted a legally binding wedding of a British couple. The ship is registered in Bermuda and under Bermudan Law the Captain can indeed marry people. The ship must be in international waters i.e. outside 12 miles from any land.

There's a plaque I've seen sold in chandlers saying "Marriages performed by the Captain are valid for the duration of the voyage only." Of course I have not read the Bermudian regulations.

'yorz
1228347.  Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote

Slight doffcock about validity of marriage ceremonies conducted in unorthodox places.

Long time ago, a Dutch friend of mine got married to a German in Las Vegas, one of those wedding chapel quickies. She now wants to divorce him. Slight problem: she lives in the Netherlands, and apparently Las Vegas marriages are not acknowledged by Dutch law. So, as far as the Dutch state is concerned, she's unwed. Germany, however, does acknowledge her marital state, so theoretically she could go to Germany and start divorce proceedings there. That, or she could go back to Las Vegas and get it annulled. Expensive joke.
The 'living apart for 5 years' strategy as mentioned elsewhere therefore doesn't float.

Page 1 of 1