View previous topic | View next topic

Official

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

14-11-2014
1206647.  Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote

A typical LaRa debate in Brussels, albeit this time there won't be some official Clinton-Trump debates agreement that the politicians and the moderators will use their own language. The politicians could have agreed to use the same language. But this works better for them, and no politician has an advantage.

suze
1206664.  Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Dunno if it's the same, but I remember a wonderful evening in a Delft pub in the mid-70s where many different nationality students converged. One guy from (I think) Bolivia and one from Poland conversed in Dutch, the only language they had in common (rudimentary). 't Was great. I and a few friends were gently pissed, and relaxed enough to act as translators for others and easily jumped from Dutch to German to English to French.

Last time I was in Poland was during the 2014 World Cup. The two semi finals were on consecutive evenings, and the A level pupil who was my reason for being in Poland found a student bar for us to watch them in.

No Brazilians or Argentineans were there, as far as I'm aware. If there are any in Gdańsk, they probably went to the South American restaurant a couple of streets away.

But on the first night there were half a dozen Germans and a couple of rather despondent Portuguese girls supporting Brazil. By the end of the famous 7-1, they'd managed to explain to the German guys - in a mixture of English and German - that Klose might be better at football than Fred, but they were sure they knew which one had a bigger dick and it wasn't Klose. The German guys explained back that they'd seen C Ronaldo's and it was tiny. Students are the same everywhere ...

On the second night we had the pleasure of a whole course group of Dutch engineering students, there on some kind of exchange program. They drank at least as much beer as a group of British students would have, but found no need for penis-related banter - in any language - since practically everyone in the house was supporting the Netherlands. One of the Dutch girls told us all that her grandad went to school with Rob Rensenbrink. Sorry if that makes 'yorz feel old ...

'yorz
1206669.  Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Has nowt to do with me. I went to school with Johan Neeskens.

14-11-2014
1206734.  Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you use a slightly bigger font?

I could. You could, for example by using a different screen size setting or by using some browser plug-in, if you really had to. I won't. It's not a default setting, not using a small font was easier for the author, so obviously it was done/used on purpose, and according to the author that goal was more important than the known disadvantages of intentionally using a small font.

Quote:
now I actually want to learn more about that communication strategy.

LaRa = Lingua Receptiva. Go to Google, append Scandinavia, and you should be able to find documents with references.

Beerkens, Münster 2010, Receptive Multilingualism as a Language Mode in the Dutch-German Border Area, page 51-53, section 2.3.2, Use of a lingua franca) describes why ELF (English as a Lingua Franca) isn't always the best choice.

Regarding strategies, as such LaRa isn't a strategy, an interactive e-learning website like http://www.eu-intercomprehension.eu/activities.html, probably still co-funded by the UK but not by Norway, can be used to develop or test strategy skills (Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish).

In the Netherlands researchers are trying to introduce the word luistertaal, listen language. In several European regions, including Denmark, Norway and Sweden, LaRa is the word which represents what people are already doing.

14-11-2014
1206736.  Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote

The official maximum distance of the "marathon" of an ITU Long Distance triathlon is 42.2 km, not 42.195 km.

crissdee
1206750.  Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Quote:
Could you use a slightly bigger font?

I could. You could, for example by using a different screen size setting or by using some browser plug-in, if you really had to. I won't. It's not a default setting, not using a small font was easier for the author, so obviously it was done/used on purpose, and according to the author that goal was more important than the known disadvantages of intentionally using a small font.

Or you could just make life slightly easier for us and use a bigger font like the lady asked.

Janet H
1206782.  Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote

Quote:

LaRa = Lingua Receptiva. Go to Google, append Scandinavia, and you should be able to find documents with references.

Thank you, that's fascinating!
My experience is that I can always understand more than I can say in a different language.

14-11-2014
1207501.  Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote

citylab.com (edited) wrote:
Miami resident JennyLee Molina (@jennyleeisme) was having her usual coffee break when she noticed the time: 3:05 p.m., which is coincidentally also the city’s area code. She tweeted a picture of her cafecito - a sweetened espresso originated from Cuba - along with the hashtag "#305cafecito". The hashtag quickly took off as Miami cafecito lovers used it to share their own coffee breaks. "#305cafecito" suddenly transformed into a viral social media campaign to make "3:05" Miami’s official cafecito time.

The outcome? In 2013, Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado declared 3:05 p.m. Miami’s official coffee break time, recognizing the power of Cuban coffee culture in bringing together the city's diverse community.

suze
1207571.  Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote

Vancouver's area code is 604.

Shall we have our coffee break before breakfast or at teatime?

PDR
1207576.  Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote

Farnham's area code is 1252, so rather than a coffee break we'll have the butler serve pre-luncheon cocktails.

PDR

crissdee
1207593.  Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote

0208 for my bit of London, far too early for anything really!

AlmondFacialBar
1207597.  Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote

0402 here. Good enough when there's a plane to catch.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1207601.  Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
0208 for my bit of London, far too early for anything really!

0208?

That's "would you like to come in for pre-prandial coffee" o'clock, surely!

PDR

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1383868.  Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The term "official language" doesn't mean quite the same thing in every country, and the CIA World Factbook is guilty of some inconsistencies in its definitions, and also of projecting American biases.

Eritrea also has no official national language though it does have 11 including Italian and even English.

http://www.eritrea.be/old/eritrea-languages.htm

bobwilson
1384070.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Q: What's the number of official languages in Germany?

K: 1, 2, 3, 4.

A: 5. The obvious official language of the Germs, and 4 official minority languages.

It seems the CIA have changed address - apropos nothing at all, just thought it was amusing

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next