View previous topic | View next topic

Orgasm

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Saphia
1248677.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:

I think I've read somewhere that during the climactic moment, as it were, a man's brain has a moment of firing on all cylinders, all systems go, etc.

On the other hand, the woman's brain basically switches off for a second.

There is such a thing as temporary blindness immediately before, during and even after orgasm. I understood it only affected some women (the brain-switching-off thing that Zziggy mentioned). However, at least one article suggests that it can affect both sexes (although in this particular case, only one eye.)

Source: Transient Monocular Blindness Associated with Sexual Intercourse
N Engl J Med 1995; 333:393-394.

gruff5
1248706.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote

Too much sex makes you go blind, you mean? I thought that only applied to a certain solitary activity,

'yorz
1248711.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote

Well, now you know better. :-)

Amalia
1271721.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote

According to Jewish Law (specifically Maimonides book of women) men are required to give their wives a specific number of orgasms, as defined by the job the man holds. For example, a tax exempt scholar must give at least 7 orgasms per week while a camel trader is only home a few times a year and therefore must only provide 2.

Furthermore a Jewish woman can legally demand that her husband turn down a job if that occupation means her number of orgasms will be reduced.

tetsabb
1271727.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote

How do I get to be tax-exempt scholar?

Amalia
1271733.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it may have been different in the 8th century. I'm not too sure ;) But the benefit, of course, is for the wife. Not the husband![/quote]

Jenny
1271745.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote

That's a fabulous factoid Amalia, but do you have a citation for it?

Amalia
1271748.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Absolutely, Jenny! (And a note, camel drivers are once every 30 days, sea men are once every 6 months. Sorry!)

The Code of Maimonides (Mishneh Torah) book 4, "The Book of Women"

Ishut, chapter 14, primarily sections 1 and 2 although all of chapter 14 is full of GREAT facts, all of which can be found in English and Hebrew here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/952888/jewish/Ishut-Chapter-Fourteen.htm

This is a slightly different translation from the one which I am familiar with, but essentially is the same. (Commentary on section 1 "Healthy men who are pampered and indulged, and who are not employed in labor that weakens their strength - but rather eat, drink and spend [the majority of their day] at home - should fulfill their conjugal duties every night." in my translation commented that this referred to tax-exempt scholars and the independently wealthy.)

Weird Jewish Laws are kind of my thing.

Last edited by Amalia on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
1271749.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Are women allowed to give themselves orgasms?

Amalia
1271750.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote

It is not forbidden in any texts. But a woman giving herself an orgasm would not count towards the husband's marital duties.

'yorz
1271752.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote

I would bloody hope not!

monzac
1271759.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

More to the point, where can I meet one?

suze
1271762.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Are women allowed to give themselves orgasms?

As Amalia note there is no Jewish literature which prohibits this, although some Jewish authorities hold that this act necessary involves "impure thoughts" and is therefore not to be encouraged.

But men are less fortunate. The Talmud notes that for a man to "extract seed in vain" is a very serious matter indeed, a worse crime than anything bar murder. "Extracting seed in vain" means any form of ejaculation not intended to lead to conception, and so a man may not release his seed alone, into a man, or indeed into his wife if she is pregnant or beyond her fertile years. This prohibition is based on the story of Onan (Genesis 38).

Reform Judaism tends to a different view and says that such acts are neither encouraged nor forbidden, while some authorities hold that "exterior ejaculation" is permissible in activities between man and wife so long as the man doesn't make a habit of it. In particular, it is acceptable if the wife has recently given birth and is not yet ready to resume intercourse.

The Wikipedia article on this matter has plenty of references to sources of Jewish law.

Lonnie Risckle
1271778.  Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote

My understanding was that Onan was required to impregnate his dead brother's widow, so that she would bear a child who was his brother's son; this was a time when it was believed that the spirits of the dead remained in Sheol(?) only as long as they were remembered, so it was your duty to remember all your ancestors.

Onan's sin was that he practiced withdrawal so that she wouldn't fall pregnant, and he could continue to have sex with her. And he was denying his brother the son who would remember him.

(I learned this all 50 years ago, and I'm happy to be corrected. I'm also aware that I'm only talking about males; at a boy's school in the sixties they didn't discuss the female role in the matter, except as a vessel to produce offspring.)

ali
1271782.  Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote

Lonnie Risckle wrote:
My understanding was that Onan was required to impregnate his dead brother's widow, so that she would bear a child who was his brother's son; this was a time when it was believed that the spirits of the dead remained in Sheol(?) only as long as they were remembered, so it was your duty to remember all your ancestors.

Onan's sin was that he practiced withdrawal so that she wouldn't fall pregnant, and he could continue to have sex with her. And he was denying his brother the son who would remember him.

(I learned this all 50 years ago, and I'm happy to be corrected. I'm also aware that I'm only talking about males; at a boy's school in the sixties they didn't discuss the female role in the matter, except as a vessel to produce offspring.)

There are a couple of additional points here.
Under Jewish law, a widow could not inherit in her own right, but could act as steward for a minor child. So, the point of the exercise was to provide an heir for Onan's brother (and by extension, a place for Onan's widow who, as a childless widow, would have no legal claim on either her husband's family or her own).
Additionally, Onan would be next in line to inherit, which is really the whole point of the story.
In terms of the Catholic doctrine of the seven deadly sins, Onan's sin was not one of lust, but rather one of greed.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3