View previous topic | View next topic

Orgasm

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

bemahan
1195801.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote

CamilleM16 wrote:
This theory is contested, though, because both the male and female orgasms don't have a known evolutionary function. Male ejaculation is necessary in order to produce a baby, but the feeling of orgasm isn't.

Maybe the human species needed something (i.e. the pleasure) more than just 'instinct to procreate' or to be physically close to drive/remind them to have intercourse on a regular basis in order to potentially end up with a baby 9 months later. I know you can get the orgasm without the intercourse but maybe way back then, in the caves, the pleasure experienced was enough to encourage Mr Caveman to 'ro-ro'*.
I'm hoping someone will now come along and grasp what I am trying to say and translate it into grown up thinking.

*a ferrying term: 'roll on, roll off'

AlmondFacialBar
1195802.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote

Is there any hard evidence that pleasure during sex is unique to Homo sapiens? There seem to be plenty of species that get it on just for the hell of it, and well... I've seen horses at it and certainly the stallion seems to have a bloody good time. With mares it's not as obvious during intercourse, but instances of the mare still acting as if in heat even after she's fallen pregnant are frequent enough for German to have it own adjective for it - the rather unpleasant hurig (whory) in case you were wondering. Also, when something gives you pleasure you're inclined to do it more often no matter what your species, and as the whole point of life is literally to get laid and produce more life that's your evolutionary function of orgasms right there.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Zziggy
1195816.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote

Glad to know that I wasn't making it up, less glad to know that suze has shockingly small orgasms ... :-P

While I'm at it (it in this case being "listing snippets of information I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere but don't currently have a source for") I think I've heard it posited that women have louder orgasms to let everybody around know that they're totally up for some sexing. So more males have sex with them so they're more likely to get pregnant.

I think that possibly would have the extra benefit that if a bunch of males think they're the child's father, then they'll all provide for it.

(Isn't there a tribe in the Amazon or somewhere that thinks that anybody the woman has sex with in the run up to birth is the child's father, no matter how many of them there are?)

As for women's orgasms being taboo, I'm also pretty sure that in the olden days (like mediaeval times) a female orgasm was considered crucial for conception. I've also heard that some modern day scientists think this too, because the vagina tenses up, shrinks in size and sort of scoops all the sperms up into the uterus.

Amazing how much you know about a thing that you don't realise you know ...

bemahan
1195843.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote

AFB wrote:
Also, when something gives you pleasure you're inclined to do it more often no matter what your species, and as the whole point of life is literally to get laid and produce more life that's your evolutionary function of orgasms right there.

That's the grown up version I was hoping for.

I have heard (ahem) that the later part of the female orgasm is a series of involuntary contractions of internal muscles which, it occurs to me, might work in a similar way to peristalsis to move the sperm upwards*. This might also explain the reason for the lengthier orgasm in women - the chappy only has to ejaculate whereas the woman has to do her best to propel the sperm to the egg.
*would only work if the female orgasms at the same time as chappy or shortly afterwards.

AlmondFacialBar
1195863.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote

When a woman climaxes she develops a measurable vacuum in the womb that helps suck the sperm in. That said, obviously the vacuum was there first and the feelgood factor second.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Zziggy
1195864.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote

Man becomes paralysed from the chest down; learns to orgasm through his thumb.

'yorz
1195881.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote

That doesn't surprise me. There are nerve endings everywhere, and you can train parts of your body to become much more receptive to stimulation. Orgasm through stimulation of the nipples is well possible. Just have an open mind and be willing to experiment.

gruff5
1195888.  Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Things can go the other way, too: there's nothing as frustrating as being about to 'go over the edge', and then for some unfathomable reason not being able to let go.

Even worse when you're trying to have a good sneeze.

CharliesDragon
1196051.  Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote

I can confirm I have heard an orgasm can heighten the chance of a woman conceiving, but I haven't heard it being crucial.

I've also heard it being theorised that it can function as a measure of how caring (for lack of a better word) the man is, and if he would help with childrearing. A very selfish person wouldn't care if the other partner orgasmed or not, and would be less likely to care about any offspring. The woman would also be less likely to have sex with him again if there was a man who was better at making her orgasm available.

I found the book linked on the previous page very interesting. The male-centric sex model used to explain hysteria and everything is both amusing and infuriating, and the misshapen logic needed to say intercourse can cure hysteria, but other cure, genital massage, does not have anything to do with sex is... interesting.
I also didn't know genital massage had been used for so long, I thought it was a phenomenon of the 1800s.

tetsabb
1196165.  Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote

Eithergasm?

PDR
1196186.  Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:

I also didn't know genital massage had been used for so long, I thought it was a phenomenon of the 1800s.

Well 200 years is long enough, surely? I mean the upthread claim was only two minutes...

:0)

Welcome back CD - haven't seen you around for a while. I hope you are well.

PDR

CharliesDragon
1196208.  Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote

Time can be very relative. :P

And thanks. I've just been other places online.

PDR
1196216.  Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
Time can be very relative. :P

Time with some relatives can seem infinite (especially if the relative in question is my father in law and he's banging on about immigrants again)...

PDR

ZoeybeGreen
1237759.  Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Humans are not the only people to seek sexual pleasure, even masturbation has been observed in other animals and many animals just have sex recreationally both in the same sex and opposite sex manor. Even evolutionary based, animals must enjoy sex otherwise they wouldn't keep going back to it or be drawn to do it more and reproduce.

http://gizmodo.com/9-animals-that-masturbate-other-than-humans-1723592357

http://www.livescience.com/9631-animals-enjoy-sex.html

gruff5
1241505.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote

I would have thought that *all* animal behaviour is motivated by gain of pleasure and avoidance of discomfort. Even 'instinctual' activities like bird migration are probably, IMHO prompted by a pleasure+ discomfort- motivating brain chemicals.

I suspect cows eat grass all day because they like doing so, even if we, as ominvores who need dietary variety, find it hard to imagine.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next