View previous topic | View next topic

Orgasm

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

bemahan
1195648.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote

Well someone had to suggest it. Having said that, I am struggling to find any QI facts about it. Looking (very cautiously) on the internet just seems to bring up the same few uninteresting facts that most people over the age of consent already know. I may have to delve deeper. As in looking for QI facts about orgasm in other species. I am not including QI stuff about reproduction in general as that will probably be saved for the 'R' series. However, I can't resist mentioning 'traumatic insemination' as performed by, for example, male bedbugs. Does what it says on the tin:

Wiki wrote:
Traumatic insemination, also known as hypodermic insemination, is the mating practice in some species of invertebrates in which the male pierces the female's abdomen with his penis and injects his sperm through the wound into her abdominal cavity (hemocoel). The sperm diffuse through the female's hemolymph, reaching the ovaries and resulting in fertilization. The process is detrimental to the female's health* It creates an open wound which impairs the female until it heals, and is susceptible to infection.

*No shit, Sherlock.

Last edited by bemahan on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PDR
1195649.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I may have to delve deeper.

Naughty step.

PDR

bemahan
1195650.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote

Beat you to it. As it were.

PDR
1195652.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote

Aye - that's the rub...

PDR

bemahan
1195654.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote

Lube might help.

Zziggy
1195659.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote

I believe I know a QI fact about orgasms, but I'm in a rush so I don't have time to find a source right now.

I think I've read somewhere that during the climactic moment, as it were, a man's brain has a moment of firing on all cylinders, all systems go, etc.

On the other hand, the woman's brain basically switches off for a second.

Must dash, I'll check back later to see whether that's been debunked :-P

bemahan
1195662.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:

On the other hand, the woman's brain basically switches off for a second.

There was one occasion when I exclaimed at a crucial point as I suddenly I remembered I hadn't put the ice cream* back in the freezer.

* think 'children's party' rather than 'Platform 9 and 3/4', er, I mean '9 and 1/2 weeks'.

tetsabb
1195726.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Come, come, can we really have such a filthy thread?

suze
1195755.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy's assertion appears to be basically right. The research for this was carried out in the Netherlands, and involved researchers measuring brain activity while subjects received varying degrees of genital stimulation.

It was found that brain activity did indeed decrease substantially when the female subjects experienced orgasm. It also decreased when the male subjects experienced orgasm, but not by anything like so much.

One methodological issue was noted, though. To produce accurate results, the brain measuring machine needs a particular level of brain activity to last for at least two minutes. It is noted that this was a particular problem as regards the male subjects, because a man's orgasm doesn't last as long as two minutes.

Although it's not stated in so many words, that rather implies that a woman's orgasm does last for two minutes or longer. Without going into way TMI, it is just me for whom this is not the typical experience?

New Scientist
Associated Press (PDF)

'yorz
1195761.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Women's orgasms can vary in strength and length. It can be a soft, short, release, but also a rather strong experience, with many 'aftershocks' that will peter out eventually. And the latter kind can last two minutes or even longer.

swot
1195762.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote

To the best of my recollection I've never had a two-minuter (although apparently I'm not good at thinking at that particular time), but I "last" longer than Mr Swot. Since we were pure and innocent before we met, we can't compare notes on the subject about how other people respond.

suze
1195770.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Women's orgasms can vary in strength and length. It can be a soft, short, release, but also a rather strong experience, with many 'aftershocks' that will peter out eventually. And the latter kind can last two minutes or even longer.

Ah, all becomes clear. You're Dutch, and so were the subjects in that research. You Cloggies know the special secret to superlong orgasms, but you haven't chosen to tell the rest of the world.

'yorz
1195771.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Things can go the other way, too: there's nothing as frustrating as being about to 'go over the edge', and then for some unfathomable reason not being able to let go. I call that an imploded orgasm.

'yorz
1195772.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote

As for there being a secret - it just happens, sometimes. A combination of factors: being able to totally relax and concentrate, the right ambiance, and an uninterrupted (qua rhythm) build-up. And even that doesn't always guarantee such a major orgasm.

CamilleM16
1195781.  Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote

I wanted to start a thread on orgasms too, but I was a bit shy since I'm new around here. Hello, good old guilt feeling associated with sex in my catholic background ;)

So, the orgasm. My french background would like to start by sharing with you the term "Petite Mort", literally "Little Death", that is sometimes used to describe the orgasm. Many other terms are used around the world to talk about orgasms, but I didn't find any reliable source about it. It was coined by Ambroise Paré, who is known as the father of modern surgery, who apparently did a lot of practice on corpse, but also on dying people on battlefields.

Another interesting fact, is that the female orgasm is sometimes view as an accident (a happy little accident, would say Bob Ross, and I would agree), or as a "by-product" of the male orgasm. Elizabeth Anne Lloyd developed a theory according to which the female orgasm is "a by-product of a structure that has function only in the other sex". So, the same way that male have nipples because of female needing to have them (to assure breastfeeding), female have the erectile and nervous tissue necessary to the orgasm because of male needing to have them (since the male orgasm is necessary for reproduction).
[All of that last paragraph comes from "The Science of Orgasm, Barry R. Komisarek, Carlos Beyer-Flores and Beverly Whipple, The John Hopkins University Press, 2006, p.10-11]

This theory is contested, though, because both the male and female orgasms don't have a known evolutionary function. Male ejaculation is necessary in order to produce a baby, but the feeling of orgasm isn't. So who knows, really?

Also, because what fun could a discussion on orgasms be if we were not to talk about misogyny, the female orgasm used to be seen as something to be ashamed of, and everything that was related to female sexuality that could not be solved by a penis was considered a disease. So doctor had to treat the thing known as "Hysteria", and apparently hated to do so. So not only was it sometimes passed as a job for mid-wives (with a very detailed plan of the treatment including how and where to insert fingers, and where to massage), it also stimulated a lot of creativity. Since this whole paragraph was a bummer, I wanted to include a picture of a "French pelvic douche", or old-timey-wimey dildo designed to cure hysteria without having a doctor using his precious hands to finally give an orgasm to a poor woman. Since I am not able to do so, please go on Google Books by following this link and go to page 4 to see the image. It is worth it.
[The technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria", the vibrator and women's sexual satisfaction, Rachel P. Maines, John Hopkins University Press, 1999, p. 3-6]. [/img]

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next