View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic Games

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

'yorz
1202424.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote

On the other hand, should athletes who won a medal really receive an OBE or higher? The medal should be enough reward.
Same as calling people in uniform heroes for doing what they chose and are paid to do.

 
PDR
1202425.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote

Well yes, never mind all those doctors, nurses and social workers. They signed up to do front-line care after all - if they actually get fulfilment from it then clearly we don't need to pay them as much.

PDR

 
'yorz
1202478.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Payment is an altogether different thing. Of course there is room for improvement, certainly in the health sector.

 
crissdee
1202479.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote

No-one is suggesting they don't deserve generous pay, the things I have seen nurses do in the last few years has increased my already sky-high opinion of them. There is however, imho, a difference between paying them a fair rate for their remarkable work, and calling them "heroes" for doing what they are paid to do. On a lesser scale, it is like those people who thank bus drivers for letting them off at their stop. Praise and extra reward should be reserved for those who have done something more than they are expected to do.

 
Efros
1202482.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Hero is a much misused word, its impact has been very diluted over the years.

 
Spud McLaren
1202483.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
... it is like those people who thank bus drivers for letting them off at their stop. Praise and extra reward should be reserved for those who have done something more than they are expected to do.
I don't agree here. Thanks is not praise or reward, it's just courtesy.

 
PDR
1202484.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
I don't agree here. Thanks is not praise or reward, it's just courtesy.


Courtesy is a much misused word, its impact has been very diluted over the years. It's a common courtesy to hold a door open for someone, yet (as I related at the time) it's something I found myself facing a disciplinary hearing for doing.

PDR

 
Spud McLaren
1202486.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Nevertheless, thanking someone (or holding a door open for them) is courtesy, and your (presumably favourable) disciplinary hearing does not negate that.

 
Alfred E Neuman
1202532.  Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
crissdee wrote:
... it is like those people who thank bus drivers for letting them off at their stop. Praise and extra reward should be reserved for those who have done something more than they are expected to do.
I don't agree here. Thanks is not praise or reward, it's just courtesy.


Wot he said.

 
AlmondFacialBar
1202555.  Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Spud McLaren wrote:
crissdee wrote:
... it is like those people who thank bus drivers for letting them off at their stop. Praise and extra reward should be reserved for those who have done something more than they are expected to do.
I don't agree here. Thanks is not praise or reward, it's just courtesy.


Wot he said.


Seconding that. It also says a lot about the local culture. Here it's normal, but do it in Germany and you'll be given strange looks.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
'yorz
1202558.  Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that over here bus drivers get a thankyou, too - not just in rural Northumberland.

 
14-11-2014
1203372.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote

Q: In 2016, the average official distance of the Olympic Marathons was ...

K: 42.195 km
A: Less, (42.195 + 10) : 2 = 26.0975 km

 
14-11-2014
1204289.  Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote

bbc.co.uk (editied) wrote:
Russian walker Sergey Kirdyapkin will be stripped of his London 2012 gold following a successful IAAF appeal.

Australian Jared Tallent will now be awarded the gold and Irishman Robert Heffernan the bronze.

The IAAF will immediately proceed to the effective disqualification of results, re-rankings and re-allocation of medals in all competitions under its control.

Q: Australia's Jared Tallent will receive ...

K: The gold, nothing, a certificate, a copy.
A: An original gold medal, but not the original gold medal.

 
14-11-2014
1204290.  Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Q: In Rio de Janeiro, the best woman's High Jump result was ...

K: 1.97m.
A: 1.98m, the woman's Heptathlon High Jump.

 
suze
1204306.  Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I think I know this one.

Although the winning height in the women's high jump event was 1.97, two heptathlon competitors recorded 1.98 in the high jump element of the heptathlon. Which is a bit embarrassing for the specialist high jumpers!

Comparably, Jessica Ennis-Hill holds/held the British record for the 100 meters hurdles - having set it in the heptathlon at London 2012 rather than in a hurdles race.

 

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group