View previous topic | View next topic

UK cities recently inundated by crows

Page 1 of 1

PaulCanRead
1194614.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote

UK cities have recently become inundated by crows - the bird of the genus Corvus.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Does anyone know why this might be?

Jenny
1194645.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote

I haven't heard about this Paul - got anything you can cite to show this inundation?

Welcome to the forums by the way.

PaulCanRead
1194650.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Jenny"]I haven't heard about this Paul - got anything you can cite to show this inundation?

Welcome to the forums by the way.[/quote]

Hi, couldn't really provide it, just something I noticed, seems there are many more than previous years.

suze
1194665.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote

You're not the only person who has noticed it. Mr Google finds plenty of comments from both Europe and North America that crows appear to be more common in urban areas than they had been in previous years.

There seems not to have been any properly organized research into the matter, so we have only anecdotal evidence that it is so. But if it is so, a couple of reasons have been put tentatively forward for why it might be.

For one thing, crow numbers are reckoned to be rising in general. Again, there has been no proper study of this, but it may be to do with weather patterns.

In agricultural areas, crows are considered a pest. They eat growing crops - after all, that is why scarecrows are a thing - and they also attack lambs on occasion. (For a long time this was widely considered to be a rural myth best left to old wives, but then the BBC show Lambing Live filmed it happening.)

So farmers do their best to discourage the presence of crows, which might cause the crows to congregate in towns instead. What's more, crows like to eat various species of insect found mainly in town, and - again, perhaps because of weather patterns - the numbers of these insects are reckoned to have increased in recent years.

PaulCanRead
1194669.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Suze

I hoped it wasn't just me, as I noticed it in several locations.

There seem to be more chaffinches and wrens as well, but I think that's just them avoiding the crows so making them move to more visible spots.

nitwit02
1194700.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote

Blimey! Stone the crows!
:)

Zziggy
1194730.  Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote

Crows are intelligent and can eat practically anything. Like foxes, I imagine the growth of cities is a boon to them.

Alfred E Neuman
1194733.  Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote

Weren't Monsanto supposed to be killing them? I think we should sue them for not following through...

On a more serious note, I've noticed that crows are on the increase too, and this article by the Endangered Wildlife Trust agrees.

Quote:
Four species of crows occur in southern Africa: Pied Crow Corvus albus, Cape (Black) Crow Corvus capensis, White necked Raven Corvus albicollis, and the introduced House Crow Corvus splendens. Numbers of at least some of these crow species are increasing, and their ranges appear to be expanding in southern Africa, particularly in the arid parts of the region.

Last edited by Alfred E Neuman on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total

gruff5
1194737.  Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote

I've noticed more crows than usual. Drove Van Gogh mad when he was trying to paint outside in Brittany.

PDR
1194740.  Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote

Apparently crow population is on the increase everywhere apart from Northern Ireland where (obviously) it's too Orangey for crows...

[it was a nice lightweight waterproof thing - anyone seen it?]

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
1236886.  Thu May 11, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Apparently crow population is on the increase everywhere apart from Northern Ireland where (obviously) it's too Orangey for crows...

[it was a nice lightweight waterproof thing - anyone seen it?]

PDR

They definitely prefer it down here, for whichever reason.

On a related matter, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that border collies react aggressively to crows, but to no other birds, so I'm guessing that must have been bred into them because crows do indeed attack lambs.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1236887.  Thu May 11, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote

One of the building blocks of the late, lamented, Eeyore was border collie. Heavily diluted, but still... And he indeed would go berserk at the sight of a crow. He was blissfully happy with any other bird's company.

Page 1 of 1