View previous topic | View next topic

NSFW

Page 1 of 1

CB27
1193468.  Sun May 29, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote

So I'm thinking we can have one episode about anything shocking and\or dangerous.

To start it off, I'd like to go back to a topic visited previously, which is dangerous songs.

Gloomy Sunday has been described as one of the most dangerous songs and has even been renamed as the Hungarian Suicide Song because of events linked to it.

However, I'd like to offer up a song that may have led to many more deaths - perhaps hundreds of thousands or more!

This dangerous song? "Baby It's Cold Outside".

I don't mean all the people who have committed stage deaths on karaoke stages trying to emulate the Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews.

This story starts with a young Egyptian man called Sayyid Qutb, born in 1906 who very early on found himself critical of religious institutions and schools. He eventually moved to Cairo where he studied under the British education system and became a teacher and novelist.

In 1948 Sayyid travelled to the US to study their education system, spending much of that time in Greeley, Colorado, in what has now become the University of Northern Colorado.

Having already reacted to the growing consumerist society of America, Sayyid's wrote to a friend "How much do I need someone to talk to about topics other than money, movie stars and car models.".

He was impressed by the number of churches in Greeley, but commented "Nobody goes to church as often as Americans do. . . . Yet no one is as distant as they are from the spiritual aspect of religion.".

This all came to a head after he visited a church to see the service and the people, and was scandalised to find out that the pastor was putting on a dance after the service. As the night drew on, the pastor decided to dim the lights to create a romantic mood, and decided to put on a song that was very popular in 1948 - "Baby It's Cold Outside".

In an article he wrote in 1951, "people danced to the tunes of the gramophone, and the dance floor was replete with tapping feet, enticing legs, arms wrapped around waists, lips pressed to lips, and chests pressed to chests. The atmosphere was full of desire.".

On returning to Egypt, Sayyid declared that the West's influence on Islam was evil, and that the American influence on Islam was only to fight Communism, which meant that the ruling Government in Egypt and other Muslim nations were therefore also evil.

His writings became a source of doctrine of the Islamic Botherhood, and he was involved in the revolution that brought Nasser to power. However, his rejection of secularism soon brought him into conflict with Nasser, leading to an arrest for attempting to assassinate the president in 1954.

In 1966, after a show trial, Sayyid was hanged.

His books survived, and his writings (especially "Milestones") inspired the Muslim Brotherhood, as well as many leaders and followers of various groups such as Al Qaeda and Islamic Jihad.

Whether a different song may have changed Sayyids inspiration and focus for his writings is probably debateable, but it's the flutter of butterfly wings that can cause a great storm...

Jenny
1193499.  Sun May 29, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote

That's incredibly interesting CB (welcome back by the way!) but sadly too late for the N series as all the scripts are written and the recordings almost done I think.

Can you find an O connection so we can think about using it for the next series?

tetsabb
1193546.  Mon May 30, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote

Scripts????

PDR
1193552.  Mon May 30, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Mostly for Valium, I suspect.

PDR

Jenny
1193556.  Mon May 30, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Brilliant as Stephen and Sandi are, they don't make up all the questions and their answers as they go along, you know!

Bondee
1193567.  Mon May 30, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Can you find an O connection so we can think about using it for the next series?

"Oh, bugger! I'm too late for the N series!"

ConorOberstIsGo
1193734.  Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote

CB27, I think perhaps you're a fan of Adam Curtis?

CB27
1193812.  Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote

I don't know, just had to look up the name, and it looks like I could share some of his views. Did something I write look like it was lifted from him? I thought I was being original :)

Anyway, if it's something to fit into the O series, maybe "Odd Opinions and Origins"?

We've had a few instances of odd opinions aired on Qi in the past (such as the phantom time hypothesis), maybe we could visit some of these, and even celebrate some that turned out to be true (such as Barry Marshall discovering the cause of peptic ulcers).

ConorOberstIsGo
1194941.  Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote

CB27, it's quite understandable that more than one person picked up on this story but Adam Curtis is an incredible force (for good IMO) and I would srsly recommend you watch this and plenty more of his stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTg4qnyUGxg

14-11-2014
1210391.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote

Sorry, this really is NSFW.

suze
1210443.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote

A fellow from Melbourne once told me that NSFW was a province of Australia ...

PDR
1210445.  Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like my Texan colleague* who is adamant that it was only at the air force academy when she was 21 that she learned that "Damned" and "Yankee" were actually separate words...

PDR

* She also insists that she's a Texan from the Republic of Texas whose family still await Houston's arrest for treason...

Page 1 of 1