View previous topic | View next topic

What caught your attention on the telly?

Page 340 of 344
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344  Next

Strawberry
1390744.  Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote

The first episode of the new series of Taskmaster is on tonight. It's on Channel Four at 9 O'Clock.

CB27
1390817.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote

Great start to Taskmaster, looks like a good series. Glad they got over the hiccup of the disastrous US version.

Which reminds me that Greg is also hosting the new Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and sorry to say that after the first show I'm not inclined to watch the rest of it.

This is a music comedy panel game, and out of 7 people on the show they managed to scrape only 2 people from the industry, both of whom seemed a little limited in their knowledge.

CB27
1391005.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote

"The Green Knight" on Amazon Prime.

I wish I hadn't now, but it had decent actors in it, so I expected more. It's only the second time I remember feeling so let down by a film that I had to log in and give it a negative review.

First problem is this idea that because it's during the dark ages it must be dark to the point some scenes you have to guess at what'[s happening.

The second is that the dialogue was stilted and very introspective (despite not breaking the 4th wall) to the point it looked more suited to a stage rather than film.

The direction of the film was very confusing, and having looked up the original story to see if I missed something, it looks like the screenwriters missed it themselves as they missed out some of the main reasons for the story in the first place, so at the end of the film you're left wondering "and the moral of the story is...?".

Also, despite this being a serious film, the editing and some of the methods made me think of Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, it was that strange.

Efros
1391010.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Seems to be one of those films that tries hard to be deep and meaningful and doesn't quite get there. The critics are cautiously praising it although IMDB denizens are roundly saying it's crap.

PDR
1391017.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

First problem is this idea that because it's during the dark ages it must be dark

Not disputing your point (cf the various memes around the GoT final battle with the army of the dead*), but perhaps a related point of interest:

There is actually a body of opinion that the "Dark Ages" were so-called because over most of the northern hemisphere it really was dark for a couple of decades (not that confident on the duration number, but it was a "long time"[tm]) due to the "nuclear winter" effect produced by a super-volcano eruption. I understand there is significant supporting evidence in (amonst other things) the tree-rings of very old trees showing these years.

PDR

* complete tangent, but on the subject of Game of Thrones - they've been filming lots of scenes for the prequel down the road near Church Crookham. Went down to have a look when we took the dog for a walk after the GP and it looks fun. Tried to get signed on as an extra but failed.

cornixt
1391064.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote

There are a lot of tv shows and movies that I have put off watching because they take place in the dark, and most of the time that I get to watch them is during the time when the sun is blaring through the window. Might have to get some blackout blinds for the living room.

PDR
1391073.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote

PDR

Big Martin
1391078.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote

On a programme about hunting for Mayan tombs on Channel 4 last night we were informed that Palenque controlled "a vast territory" in what's now southern Mexico. 130 square kilometres. Sorry, what's vast about that? It's only marginally larger than the area of the City and County of Bristol - i.e. not even as far out as where I live.

PDR
1391083.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote

Big Martin wrote:
On a programme about hunting for Mayan tombs on Channel 4 last night we were informed that Palenque controlled "a vast territory" in what's now southern Mexico. 130 square kilometres. Sorry, what's vast about that? It's only marginally larger than the area of the City and County of Bristol - i.e. not even as far out as where I live.

That's pretty big - nearly three times the size of the size of our lower paddock.

PDR

CB27
1391085.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

Considering Palenque was a city state at a time when their technology was quite limited and the population of the whole area was probably 10k, I'd say that was probably considered quite a vast territory :p

suze
1391132.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote

I was pleased to see that Victoria Coren Mitchell has "normal" hair again!

We did get the group of football club nicknames, but we thought that "The Iron" was West Ham United. Mrs Coren Mitchell said it was Scunthorpe United and that turns out to be correct, but is it West Ham as well?

I had always supposed that Steve Harris being a West Ham supporter made it not a complete coincidence that he called his band Iron Maiden.

CB27
1391161.  Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:56 am Reply with quote

Have to admit, either they've dumbed down the questions for this episode, or I was on form, I got quite a few which I thought were easy.

I also got the football ones quickly, but was confused by The Iron because West Ham are The Irons (plural). It seems Scunthorpe are indeed The Iron (singular).

How they didn't get the months with days is beyond me...

PDR
1391203.  Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote

I happened to catch a programme that's doing the rounds (currently on ITV Hub and elsewhere) as part f the promotion for the new bond film called "Being James Bond". It's essentially about Danial Craig's Bond and the franchise reboot that went with it. It's quite an interesting (insightful) film so I won't do spoilers, but it included a comment which I think explained why I liked Skyfall so much.

When they talked about the film (especially after the not-so-good Quantum) they said it was about Bond, the MI6 family and the complex relationship, but without letting it get lost in the plot (which is what they thought happened with Quantum due to the writers' strike). They said that the way to a good movie is to have "Simple plot but a complex story" - and that struck an immediate chord.

PDR

suze
1391249.  Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote

It becomes ever harder to find anything worth watching while we have our dinner, and today we'd got as far down the guide as Sky Arts by the time we found a program which qualified.

The show upon which we alighted was not new - first aired last year, as far as I can tell - but was new to us, and it concerned Frank Skinner and a Scottish novelist named Denise Mina recreating Johnson and Boswell's tour of Scotland in 1773.

Dr Johnson was an old curmudgeon, and his opinion of the towns visited in this episode was approximately "Edinburgh: meh; St Andrews: dump; Dundee: yawn" - although he did like quite Arbroath, if not its smokies.

He quite liked Cawdor Castle too, even if he did allow the laird of the day to convince him that it had a genuine connexion with the king who shall not be named. In fact, it wasn't built until three hundred years after that man's time. The present Dowager Thaness of Cawdor - a Czech South African, or something like that, called Angelika - was honest enough to admit the previous deceit.

This was the first of a three part series, and the other two episodes aren't showing up on the guide as yet.

Big Martin
1391253.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote

I watched that first time around - it's very good.

Page 340 of 344
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344  Next