View previous topic | View next topic

What caught your attention on the telly?

Page 339 of 345
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 343, 344, 345  Next

crissdee
1390022.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote

My brother's middle name is our mum's maiden name, but I have no idea if there was any particular reason for mine.

cornixt
1390062.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote

My dad has two middle names. His first year at school the teacher kept using his middle names as his first and last name, and it wasn't until the first teacher conference that the teacher found out that my dad wasn't lying about having a completely different name. No idea how that mix-up occurred.

Alexander Howard
1390074.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
My brother's middle name is our mum's maiden name, but I have no idea if there was any particular reason for mine.

That has come up in our family in some places in the family tree. Sometimes it is to preserve the mother's family name, particularly if she has no brothers. In Victorian families where a child died in infancy his or her name was given to the next son or daughter, with a middle name added, which might be the mother's maiden name.

It reminds me of that episode of Cheers where Carla has to rename her son according to the family tradition after his maternal grandfather, Benito, and a grandmother's maiden name (which you can guess).

crissdee
1390100.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote

My mum is an only child, so that would make sense. Her double cousin (two brothers married two sisters) had the same name, and he had a son, who has also had a son, so the name survives, in Clacton on Sea anyway...

Jenny
1390176.  Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote

This "name surviving" thing is a bit bizarre though. My maiden name was my dad's surname, which he had because his dad was abandoned as a baby and brought up in an orphanage, and his name was simply the next one on the orphanage's list. Given that my first married name and my maiden names were both colours, there was no way I was going to hyphenate them or use my maiden name as a middle name - the jokes at our wedding about the possible colour of the kids were bad enough!

tetsabb
1390208.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:18 am Reply with quote

May I return to the theme of what has been on telly?.....

We watched Bill Bailey's Larks in Transit last night. Edited down to an hour, so it loses some of the rhythm and flow of the full show. But there are some brilliant moments, both musical and verbal. At one point he speaks of being warned on Twitter that someone has offered video to the Sun of him up to no good. That goes off in a very unexpected direction.

It is repeated on BBC 1 on Tuesday at 2305.

Efros
1390219.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
This "name surviving" thing is a bit bizarre though. My maiden name was my dad's surname, which he had because his dad was abandoned as a baby and brought up in an orphanage, and his name was simply the next one on the orphanage's list. Given that my first married name and my maiden names were both colours, there was no way I was going to hyphenate them or use my maiden name as a middle name - the jokes at our wedding about the possible colour of the kids were bad enough!

My paternal grandfather's line ends with me. Although the name will continue with one of my Uncle's who has a stepson who took the surname. None of my Grandfather's five sons had sons, apart from my Dad. I'm not the biological father of any child, that I know of. All of my first cousins on my Dad's side are girls, ten of them.

In fact a quick look at ancestry.com shows that my paternal grandfather's father had three sons, my grandfather being the only one with children the other two died without children.

suze
1390226.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote

My maiden surname was never very common anywhere, since it's a stealth re-spelling of what was already an uncommon Polish surname.

For a start, it's probably of Jewish origiin. My family is Catholic as far back as anyone knows, so it's mildly surprising that we didn't de-Semitise our name at some point.

It contained an ogonek, and North America doesn't do ogoneks so that disappeared, and the -ski/-ska forms usual in Poland became -sky for both sexes in North America. (That was not a change imposed at Ellis Island; as once covered on QI, that didn't actually happen very much. Rather, my grandfather discovered that North Americans found -sky easier to spell and went with the flow.)

My father was an only child, and he sired only daughters, both of whom have married. (Twice each, in fact.)

Buuuut ... there are a handful of bearers of my maiden surname in Germany, so all is well !

suze
1390240.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote

Meanwhile in other news, my stepdaughter has caught my attention on the telly this afternoon!

She's at the T20 finals day in Birmingham, without husband and child but with pint of beer. Elz' county cricketing loyalties are split between Kent, Northamptonshire, and Yorkshire - all three of which she has played for at one level or another - but only one of those is in action today, so I'm sure she's supporting Kent as they make their way to the final.

Celebaelin
1390440.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:51 am Reply with quote

Victoria Coren Mitchell looks radically different with red hair.

At first I thought 'Oh, we've got a stand in - I hope she's not been taken ill' and then the 'shocking truth' became apparent.

There has been a debate (described as a 'social media frenzy' but aren't they always) about why she donned the syrup - the notion that it's a wig is widely agreed on as is the suggestion that it could be something to do with a Taskmaster challenge.

Quote:
Coren Mitchell herself had tantalisingly tweeted on the afternoon of the broadcast: "In tonight’s Only Connect: can you spot the moment when Hermione Granger is easily mistaken for Herman Goering? BBC Two, 8pm"

And it must have surely been a wig - Coren Mitchell was pictured at the Chelsea Flower Show with 'normal' hair today.

https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/11058/victoria-coren-wig

CB27
1390460.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote

I missed the show, it's not one I watch too often, but often catch the end before University Challenge. On yesterday's UC I'm quite happy I got a few questions right, including a couple neither teams got - woohoo!

Funny enough, one of my colleagues mentioned about her hair today, but also said she looked very frumpy.

You just can't win :p

Celebaelin
1390466.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure that she was trying to pull the look off - on the assumption that it was/is something to do with Taskmaster there nay be other requirements.

The dress can't have been chosen with a straight face - can it?

I'm on dodgy ground with any reference to her attire as she's on record as saying that is essentially a sexist question but from this Sept 2016 article we might assume she was having a bit of a giggle.

That as a result of all this I have typed Victorian Coren Mitchell Wearing Michael Portillo into Google is merely a reflection of how out of hand this is getting although the images were certainly revealing - I didn't even know she liked scarves.

suze
1390524.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Victoria Coren Mitchell looks radically different with red hair. At first I thought 'Oh, we've got a stand in - I hope she's not been taken ill' and then the 'shocking truth' became apparent.

Oh good, it wasn't just me!

As for the running gag about Michael Portillo, maybe it's time for that one to be retired. One has to assume that they're friends, but perhaps they should keep their private joke to themselves.

Strawberry
1390744.  Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote

The first episode of the new series of Taskmaster is on tonight. It's on Channel Four at 9 O'Clock.

CB27
1390817.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote

Great start to Taskmaster, looks like a good series. Glad they got over the hiccup of the disastrous US version.

Which reminds me that Greg is also hosting the new Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and sorry to say that after the first show I'm not inclined to watch the rest of it.

This is a music comedy panel game, and out of 7 people on the show they managed to scrape only 2 people from the industry, both of whom seemed a little limited in their knowledge.

Page 339 of 345
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 343, 344, 345  Next