View previous topic | View next topic

strange little things I find on the internet

Page 256 of 257
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 255, 256, 257  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1390849.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I could not quite say tbh, having left my parked car in gear ever since I acquired my driving licence.

When I learned to drive, I was taught that one should only leave a car with manual transmission in gear if parking on a hillside (so that the car doesn't roll away), or if parking outside in frozen conditions (in case the handbrake freezes). Otherwise it's doesn't achieve anything in particular, and I think there's some technical reason not to do it.

I don't know what driving instructors in Britain currently teach here, and since it's Friday I won't be able to ask my sixth form classes until Monday.

Here they teach handbrake and officially they do in Germany, too. Inofficially they tell you that's what the tester wants to see, so don't bother afterwards.

suze wrote:
My current car has an automatic transmission, and should always be put into P when parking. At a very non-technical level - being the only level at which I understand cars - P disengages the transmission and locks the wheels.

Yup, that is apparently what happens.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1390859.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I saw a joke the other day that referred to a blonde, so I shall change it to 'Brexit voter '.
He buys an automatic car, but quickly complains that it only works half the time. It is checked over in the garage and no fault is found.
Until one winter afternoon he calls them up, and a technician goes to his house.
He shows them -- "I put it in 'D' for Day and 'N' for night..."

crissdee
1390864.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
My current car has an automatic transmission, and should always be put into P when parking. At a very non-technical level - being the only level at which I understand cars - P disengages the transmission and locks the wheels.

Dragging my very hazy mind (see "How Was Your Day") back to my days in technical college during my apprenticeship, engaging "Park" on an automatic gearbox engages a mechanical lock on the transmission. The nature of such a gearbox means that there is no actual mechanical link 'twixt engine and transmission at any time, the drive being engaged via a fluid flywheel or torque converter.

I have taken to leaving my manual car in gear when parked on a hill, as the recent service left the handbrake so tight that my usual casual tug on the lever does not fully engage the brake.

Awitt
1390903.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote

My mother drove manuals (still has one, my sister now drives it) and I recall handbrake starts on a couple of decent suburban hills when stopped at a red light.

While there aren't that many steep hills in my area, (though Frankston South/Mt Eliza has a beauty, a road called Humphries Rd) it is one of the things tested in the driving test here.

And I've seen this - the New York Earth room.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-new-york-earth-room-new-york-new-york?utm_medium=atlas-page&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2YSx5W8xz4blQ-zxf5mrkoM8VbM1toR9CT3SKLTH-hkuAnxlFkuXFodZk

AlmondFacialBar
1390905.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:40 am Reply with quote

Handbrake hill starts are compulsory for passing your test in Germany, too (and again with the caveat given by any driving instructor worth their salt that in real life it's different), so in notoriously flat northern Germany that tends to be a bit of a challenge. I remember queuing with all the other driving school cars from about a 20 km radius at the one uphill stretch of road we have waiting for my turn to practice. I also can't remember using my handbrake for more than a handful of hill starts in the 30 years since, despite having lived in a place known for its mountainous landscape for 2/3 of them. I mean, clutches exist, right?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1390908.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:02 am Reply with quote

Britain takes a slightly more relaxed view here.

Most new cars by now have hill-holder function, and so you don't need to use "classical" hill start technique. Until 2011, cars with that functionality couldn't be used for the driving test - but that changed after lobbying by the British School of Motoring. (Which just so happened to have recently bought a whole load of cars which would have been useless otherwise.)

But there are still enough cars around which don't have the function that a learner does still need to know the old school way to do it, and so it is still taught. Contrast with eg double declutching, which is no longer taught or tested since a new driver is highly unlikely ever to need to do it.

Whether you are asked to demonstrate a hill start in the driving test is at the examiner's discretion. If you take your test in eg Cambridge or Hull, the examiner won't take you miles out of town just to find a hill - buf if you take it in Chatham or Halifax, you bet your ass he will.

Jenny
1390916.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote

I certainly had to learn the handbrake hill start when I did my test in 1980. In Hull (though I didn't learn to drive there) it was so flat that cars needing to practice or take the test they had to go to the County Road flyover, the only place with anything like a slope.

Big Martin
1390934.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote

One thing about the suburbs of Bristol - plenty of places to practice hill starts!

bobwilson
1390944.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWnc-ZlIo5s

93 Year Old Irish Soldier describes World War One, 1988

bobwilson
1390945.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3E2qTCIY8

Arthur C Clarke predicts the internet in 1964

Efros
1390946.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Marshall McLuhan beat him by a couple of years in 1962.

https://www.alphr.com/life-culture/1006382/marshall-mcluhan-internet-google-doodle

Efros
1390953.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote

An audience at a Green Day concert having a pre-band singalong. Freddy would have been so proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnBNuqqz5g

crissdee
1390959.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:25 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Arthur C Clarke predicts the internet in 1964

Efros wrote:
Marshall McLuhan beat him by a couple of years in 1962.

Murray Leinster beat them both hollow. He came up with the idea in 1946.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Logic_Named_Joe

Efros
1390964.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote

Joe... Skynet's great great grandfather.

PDR
1390965.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote

When I get my time travel machine working I'll invent it before either of them (and then go on to ensure the Transwarp Equation is invented by Captain Robert Scott rather than the interloper Lt Cdr Montgomery Scott)...

PDR

Page 256 of 257
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 255, 256, 257  Next