View previous topic | View next topic

Chitty Chatty Thread

Page 1 of 23
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

suze
1330340.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
I have been able to witness the occupants several times, and unsurprisingly I have only seen fat old men.

That is not unusual at nude beaches. It's fairly likely that the "fat old men" whom you observed are gay, and the clientele at the nude beach in Brighton in England is also predominantly male, old, and gay.

But Wreck Beach in Vancouver is situated in the University Endowment Lands, within ten minutes' walk of my alma mater. As such its clientele includes students, and the self-appointed "beach police" - a bunch of men who do tend towards fat, old, and gay, and who are mostly actually American - make sure that any female students who choose to do without bathing costumes are left in peace.

Drug dealing and fights connected to drug dealing are not rare. Dirty old men who go to the beach intending to look at female students while keeping one hand inside their pants are less common but not unknown. The Vancouver PD does not have jurisdiction on the beach since it is technically not part of the city, and the "beach police" are in any case no great fans of the official police.

So before they'll send for the RCMP, they'll send for the guys who must not be mentioned. Those guys tend to be hairy and tattooed, and they roll up on motorbikes and look fierce. They then suggest to the dirty old men that if they like having unbroken legs they might want to go someplace else; the hint is generally taken rather quickly.

You won't see it so much in North America or Britain since English-speaking society doesn't really approve of naked bodies, but in Europe there are plenty of nude beaches whose clientele is mostly m/f couples and families.

tetsabb
1330350.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

So before they'll send for the RCMP, they'll send for the guys who must not be mentioned. Those guys tend to be hairy and tattooed, and they roll up on motorbikes and look fierce.

Reminds me of someone..... if I could just think who.....
😁

crissdee
1330358.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote

As it happens, I'm looking for work, but Wales to Vancouver might be a bit of a commute......

cornixt
1330363.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
cornixt wrote:
I have only seen fat old men.

Fat, old and hopelessly optimistic, surely?

I don't think so, I expect that they are just men who have reached the age where they feel like going naked and have given up caring what people think about them. It's a pretty common thing in communal changing rooms, the younger guys wrap a towel around themselves, the old guys just walk around butt-naked.

suze
1330373.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
As it happens, I'm looking for work, but Wales to Vancouver might be a bit of a commute......

While you might fit with the hairy, tattooed, and motorbike riding parts of the description, are you any good at being fierce? Bear in mind that I've seen a photo of you in which you have Christmas tree baubles dangling from your beard ...

cornixt wrote:
It's a pretty common thing in communal changing rooms, the younger guys wrap a towel around themselves, the old guys just walk around butt-naked.

Women's change rooms are broadly similar, but the proportion who "just walk around butt-naked" is probably higher. I think that's for two main reasons:

1. Some women absolutely want all the other women to see just what they've got.

2. Straight men do not check out other straight men's bits, and if they are thought to be doing so they are likely to be accused of being gay. Straight women check out other women's boobs all the time, and while this is not much talked about it's considered socially acceptable.

Awitt
1330377.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Suze wrote:
Quote:
Straight women check out other women's boobs all the time

This does seem to be along the lines of the other parts of the body, specifically those that make others envious of my size and shape. Part of it is natural genes from my parents, the other due to not being able to eat many foods that are typically bad for putting on weight.

I now ask these women, would they be able to live on my limited diet for a week, suffering cramps and having to be on the toilet a few times a day, the moment they forget about ingredients in items that may not be much, but will still set me off.

Re nudity etc:
There is apparently a nudist beach in a suburb near me, that I knew nothing about until a) at a campside there with the youth orchestra 15 years ago, a lass went for an early morning run and um...came across the couples. Since most of the other members were from the inner suburbs, it makes sense that they were unaware of this. I was back then too, only moving to the area in 2007.

and b) some coverage in local media

suze
1330381.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote

With some exceptions - and the one which I mentioned in Vancouver is very much an exception - places where nudity is permitted tend not to shout it from the rooftops.

They don't want those dirty old men to turn up, they don't want their photos appearing on the Interwebs, and they don't want crusaders who don't approve of public nudity turning up. So they usually keep a fairly low profile, and members of the general public only become aware of them if either they actively seek these places out, or they stumble upon them by chance as your acquaintance did.

For example, one of the two places where I go swimming permits nude swimming at certain less busy times. But if you look at its website or at its advertising you will find no mention of this; you have to know.

Awitt
1330382.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
Suze wrote:
Quote:
Straight women check out other women's boobs all the time

This does seem to be along the lines of the other parts of the body, specifically those that make others envious of my size and shape. Part of it is natural genes from my parents, the other due to not being able to eat many foods that are typically bad for putting on weight.

I now ask these women, would they be able to live on my limited diet for a week, suffering cramps and having to be on the toilet a few times a day, the moment they forget about ingredients in items that may not be much, but will still set me off.

Re nudity etc:
There is apparently a nudist beach in a suburb near me, that I knew nothing about until a) at a campsite there with the youth orchestra 15 years ago, a lass went for an early morning run and um...came across the couples. Since most of the other members were from the inner suburbs, it makes sense that they were unaware of this. I was back then too, only moving to the area in 2007.

and b) some coverage in local media

Celebaelin
1330383.  Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote

I heard you the first time!

suze
1330790.  Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Staying with the subject of boobs, this evening I have read an essay about The Scottish Play.

It presents a decent answer to the question about that work which was asked, and I've given it 15/20. ("Out of 20" is my preferred marking system, and it's what I always use for essays unless the exam system constrains me to use something different. You're doing very well indeed if I go higher than 17.)

But it also contains a two paragraph digression about Lady Macbeth's bra size. Digressions are "allowed" in university level essays so long as the student does also answer the question; they're not really encouraged at GCSE level but I've awarded the girl a notional bonus point all the same. (Some university level exams really have bonus points which have various magical powers. School homework doesn't, but it means that the girl probably gets the benefit of the doubt next time she needs it.)

Her argument is that Shakespeare has her refer to "my woman's breasts", which suggests that she is of a reasonably solid build. Were Lady McB slight of figure, she wouldn't use those words.

The girl also notes that powerful women - the examples she cited were Angela Merkel and the Queen, and Margaret Thatcher would have been just as good of an example - tend not to be mere slips of things. She doesn't go into why, which is probably as well because casual sexism probably is a large part of the explanation there.

But "no one would take her seriously if she had Katie Price's chest", so Lady Macbeth's bra is probably a C cup. If I wanted to be really picky, I could ask the girl if she had considered that women in C11 Scotland were probably smaller of stature in general than in C21 England - but to be fair, Shakespeare wouldn't have thought of that, and wouldn't have had access to relevant data even if he had.

The particular student is one of those who will probably get A/A* in all of her GCSEs, and her current plan is to choose her A level subjects from the science end of things. But even if the topic of her digression was a bit of an odd one, I kinda like the way her mind works!

PDR
1330798.  Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote

So was her thesis that the tragedy of the Scottish Play was really just a storm in a c-cup?

PDR

tetsabb
1330904.  Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote

In the Roman Polanski film, Francesca Annis displayed very nice breasts. I saw it when about 15, so any breasts seen in a film were quite exciting for me.

suze
1330926.  Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
So was her thesis that the tragedy of the Scottish Play was really just a storm in a c-cup?

Damnit all, I wish I'd thought of that line!

The said work is pretty much resident on the GCSE Eng Lit specification. I cannot remember a year when it was not offered, and if I'm teaching a GCSE group I'm always going to choose it as "The Shakespeare".

OK, that's partly laziness. I've appeared in it on stage twice, I've taught it more times than I can remember, and as a consequence I scarcely even need a book when I teach it. Actually teaching without a book would look like showing off and so I don't do it, but students have noticed that I can recite some fairly long passages without looking.

But also, the play is short and lots happens. These are good selling points when choosing a work to teach to a class who may not all be enthusiastic about Shakespeare.

All of which means that I may get a chance to use PDR's line at some future point!

cornixt
1333349.  Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote

I have a spare car indicator bulb from when I last changed a dead one in my car and I could only find replacements sold in pairs. It seems to have been damaged, big cracks over the glass (incandescent type). Is it useless now or is there a chance that it will still work if I managed to fit it in a car without it completely breaking?

crissdee
1333375.  Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Tbh, I would lightly wrap it in sellotape/scotch tape to make it easier to handle and use it without much concern. By definitiion, it's not going to get very hot as it's only actually on for half the time you're actually using it

Page 1 of 23
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next