View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 483 of 486
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486  Next

Pyriform
1389521.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I'm wondering how many dragons constitutes 'a fuckload'; anything more than two IMO. By the time you're pluralising dragon you're already in deep shit tbh so perhaps even two would count as a fuckload.

I'm sure that Vortigern would agree that two dragons is too many, but if it is just two you are talking about, the Welsh decided that they couldn't get along without a word specifically for that: dwyrang.

Celebaelin
1389523.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote

Is that the two (the red and the white for the uninitiated) or just any old pair of dragons?

Awitt
1389524.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:49 am Reply with quote

My library colleague, his wife and 18 year old daughter all have to complete two weeks isolation/quarantine at home after the daughter attended what we call a Tier 1 exposure site on Thursday.

The school where she works had someone infectious attend, they were on their way to work, daughter rang, colleague wasn't even at the library across town when they had to turn back and all get tested.
Negative so far, they'll be required to do further tests next week and on day 13 or 14.

Pyriform
1389525.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Is that the two (the red and the white for the uninitiated) or just any old pair of dragons?

Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru defines it as: a meeting together or conflict of two (dragons).
so I suppose it could be a meeting of any two beings, but particularly dragons.

tetsabb
1389531.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote

Yesterday I learned that molecatchers are not allowed to capture the wee beasties and release them elsewhere, but have to kill them.
A chap was at our house yesterday setting traps for the little bugger who has been digging our lawn for the past few months.

Leith
1389533.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote

Today I have learned that it is illegal to hunt moles with a crossbow.

ali
1389534.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote

The Mole

Efros
1389537.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:40 am Reply with quote

That some British exPats in Spain are being told to 'sling their hook' in the next 15 days.

tetsabb
1389551.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
That some British immigrants to Spain are being told to 'sling their hook' in the next 15 days.

FTFY

crissdee
1389562.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:

AFAIK, it is illegal to hunt anything with a crossbow in the UK. Why then do I have two within arm's reach of me while I type? I will take the fifth amendment on that one......

Pyriform
1389565.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:

If I saw moles with a crossbow I wouldn't even want to try hunting them.

crissdee wrote:
AFAIK, it is illegal to hunt anything with a crossbow in the UK. Why then do I have two within arm's reach of me while I type? I will take the fifth amendment on that one......

Surely, if you are in a position to take the fifth, you are also in a position to take the second, and so could bear crossbows without taking the fifth.

PDR
1389573.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:51 am Reply with quote

Not sure where the Second comes into it - how is the legality of hunting using crossbows changed by the hunter electing to wear short-sleeved or sleeveless garments while doing so?

PDR

extremophilesheep
1389574.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Celebaelin wrote:
I'm wondering how many dragons constitutes 'a fuckload'; anything more than two IMO. By the time you're pluralising dragon you're already in deep shit tbh so perhaps even two would count as a fuckload.

Apparently that's right! As Efros suggested yesterday, dragons are not in general social animals and any more of them than one is seriously bad news.

Celebaelin wrote:
The only other country to have a dragon on its national flag is Bhutan so perhaps the Bhutanese have a collective term but I've tried half a dozen Dzongkha translators online and they're either commercial or don't work.

Wikipedia is often the easiest way to translate nouns to and from "non-Premier League" languages, but it doesn't render Tibetan script properly which complicates matters.

But the word Bhutan is an exonym (probably from Sanskrit, and meaning something like "arse end of Tibet"), and the good folk of Bhutan call their land Drukyul. (Dzongkha spelling doesn't bear much relation to pronunciation, and this is pronounced something like "Tookrü" where the <ü> is pronounced as in German.)

That actually means "Land of Dragons" where druk is a dragon, so the term that you seek may not be a million miles different. "A Bhutan of dragons" does have a certain ring to it, in any case!

Does that boil down to Bhutan being marked on any map as "Here be dragons?"

Brock
1389795.  Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote

I learned today that a public footpath runs across the estate of Chequers, the Prime Minister's grace-and-favour residence in Buckinghamshire.

tetsabb
1389846.  Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
I learned today that a public footpath runs across the estate of Chequers, the Prime Minister's grace-and-favour residence in Buckinghamshire.

Oooh... mass trespass, anyone?

Page 483 of 486
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486  Next