View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 482 of 486
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486  Next

crissdee
1389121.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Tbh, I am 58 going on 59, and I have never owned or even worked with a router. I could probably work it out with little trouble, but could not claim to "know". I do plan to get a router if the whole self-employed mobile handyman thing gets going, but do not have one yet.

AlmondFacialBar
1389122.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Now I've Googled the term I've recognised what it is, but I'd have to ask my dad what it's called in German. It's definitely something that existed in his basement workshop when I was growing up, but they clearly never saw much use.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1389126.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Eine Oberfräse, apparently.

As for what I have learned today, there is a professional boxist from Thailand who goes into the ring under the name Knockout CP Freshmart.

CP Freshmart is a Thai supermarket chain, and boxing fans in Thailand know what a knockout is. As far as I can tell, he adopted this name so that the public didn't know he was the same person who used to compete at Muay Thai under a different pseudonym.

Awitt
1389129.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
Quote:
In the first documented case of vocal mimicry in ducks, Ripper the Australian musk duck can imitate another duck in his enclosure, the sound of the aviary door slamming, and (rather endearingly) his keeper swearing.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/nature/birds/you-bloody-fool-the-musk-duck-that-learnt-to-swear/

This week on the news I've seen footage of a lyrebird - renowned for their mimicry - sounding just like a baby crying.

Celebaelin
1389134.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote

Apocalypse translates as uncovering (ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis, from of/from: ἀπό and cover: κάλυψις, literally meaning "from cover"); The Book of Revelation is alternatively titled the Apocalypse of John (John the Divine, Saint/St John the Divine).

Not that the end of days element is an incorrect interpretation but that the rapture scenario is perhaps what is deemed 'better press' as the spiritual disclosure enlightens the world to the workings of heaven and the mind of God. This information comes as the result of catching one of those 'mystical secrets' programs that desperately tried to lend credence Sir Issac Newton's calculations for the date of the apocalypse; needless to say they failed to convince.

Big Martin
1389135.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:42 am Reply with quote

I've got a Little Brother (40 years working as a joiner) to sort out routers for me!

AlmondFacialBar
1389155.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Eine Oberfräse, apparently.

Genau! Oberfräse! Danke!

AlmondFacialBar

Big Martin
1389234.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote

I always liked the Spanish names on the boxes of Little Brother's power tools. A router is a "fresadora de superficie" - it always sounded like a tourist destination to me.

RLDavies
1389346.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote

There's no such thing as "a fish".
There's no such thing as "a crab".

Now it's turning out that there's no such thing as "a tree", and even more so than plant taxonomists suspected. Trees and shrubs pop up all over the history of plant evolution. Non-trees give rise to trees, trees give rise to non-trees, it's like they don't even care.

"Tree" (like "fish" or "crab") turns out to be better described as an evolutionary strategy than any kind of taxonomic category.

https://eukaryotewritesblog.com/2021/05/02/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-tree/

AlmondFacialBar
1389349.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
There's no such thing as "a fish".
There's no such thing as "a crab".

Now it's turning out that there's no such thing as "a tree", and even more so than plant taxonomists suspected. Trees and shrubs pop up all over the history of plant evolution. Non-trees give rise to trees, trees give rise to non-trees, it's like they don't even care.

"Tree" (like "fish" or "crab") turns out to be better described as an evolutionary strategy than any kind of taxonomic category.

https://eukaryotewritesblog.com/2021/05/02/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-tree/

While you're at it - there's also no such thing as a truffle or indeed a mushroom.

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1389481.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

That the collective noun for dragons is a "weyr". I am slowly acquiring a weyr of dragons, as I am in the process of building Llewelyn 3.0, which should be my final working prototype, and will be assembled into a fully functioning rocker.

Efros
1389493.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Only on Pern, I think we used to use a flight of dragons in my D&D days back in the mid 70s. Having said that they were curmudgeonly, solitary bastards so they tended not to band together.

suze
1389499.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote

At least nine different terms for a group of dragons are to be found in fantasy fiction: blaze, court, dignity, drive, flight, fuckload, swarm, thunder, and weyr.

What with dragons not actually existing, it's entirely up to you whether you choose to use some, all, none, or fewer of them.

Celebaelin
1389505.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
blaze, court, dignity, drive, flight, fuckload, swarm, thunder, and weyr

Further suggestions are: clan, council, den, hoard, nest, pride, scotus, tribe, wing and probably others.

The many hits for scotus all have the exact same text claiming that this is the accepted modern term so it probably doesn't have any greater claim than the other notional collective terms. 'Wing' seems to be the most widely independently suggested.

I'm wondering how many dragons constitutes 'a fuckload'; anything more than two IMO. By the time you're pluralising dragon you're already in deep shit tbh so perhaps even two would count as a fuckload.

Since originally we were talking specifically about Welsh dragons perhaps it should be

casgliad o ddreigiau

literally 'a collection of dragons'.

The only other country to have a dragon on its national flag is Bhutan so perhaps the Bhutanese have a collective term but I've tried half a dozen Dzongkha translators online and they're either commercial or don't work.

suze
1389508.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I'm wondering how many dragons constitutes 'a fuckload'; anything more than two IMO. By the time you're pluralising dragon you're already in deep shit tbh so perhaps even two would count as a fuckload.

Apparently that's right! As Efros suggested yesterday, dragons are not in general social animals and any more of them than one is seriously bad news.

Celebaelin wrote:
The only other country to have a dragon on its national flag is Bhutan so perhaps the Bhutanese have a collective term but I've tried half a dozen Dzongkha translators online and they're either commercial or don't work.

Wikipedia is often the easiest way to translate nouns to and from "non-Premier League" languages, but it doesn't render Tibetan script properly which complicates matters.

But the word Bhutan is an exonym (probably from Sanskrit, and meaning something like "arse end of Tibet"), and the good folk of Bhutan call their land Drukyul. (Dzongkha spelling doesn't bear much relation to pronunciation, and this is pronounced something like "Tookrü" where the <ü> is pronounced as in German.)

That actually means "Land of Dragons" where druk is a dragon, so the term that you seek may not be a million miles different. "A Bhutan of dragons" does have a certain ring to it, in any case!

Page 482 of 486
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486  Next