ali
1361756.  Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote

William Langland wrote:
In a somer sesun,|| whon softe was the sonne,
I schop me into a shroud,|| as I a scheep were;
In habite as an hermite || unholy of werkes
Wente I wyde in this world || wondres to here;
Bote in a Mayes morwnynge ||on Malverne hulles
Me bifel a ferly, || of fairie, me-thoughte.

The above is the first few lines of Langland's Piers Plowman, a Middle English poem written in the style of Anglo-Saxon verse.
The lines each have four strong beats, the first three of which are marked by alliteration. Somewhere between the second and third beats is a caesura, marked above by two red vertical bars. You can think of it as each half-line expressing a separate (though probably linked) thought.

As regards the language you're looking for: pick any one you like, they all do it. Natural speech does not use neatly separated words.

tetsabb
1361771.  Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote

IcouldbewrongbutIthinktheGreekontheRosettaStonedoesnothavemuchintgewayofgapsbbetweenwords

Yup, that is difficult!

suze
1361775.  Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote

That method of writing is called scriptio continua; I don't think I need to translate that from the Latin.

It was the norm for Classical Greek, while it was sporadic in Latin. It was never the norm in English; the regular use of spaces between words may have been an Irish invention, and happened in around the 7th century.

This new idea spread quickly across Europe, and within 200 years it was rare for any language using the Roman, Greek, or Cyrillic alphabets to eschew spaces. Conversely, many non-European languages were written as scriptio continua into the C20. The languages of India had spaces thrust open them by the British in the C19, while Chinese adopted Western punctuation - but not spaces between words - a little bit later. Japanese and Thai are written largely as scriptio continua to this day, with spaces used only between clauses and not between words.

Celebaelin
1361790.  Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Of course the second figure is moot (being a smidge over the speed of light) but even the first is over a third of the speed of light so you'd need to take relativistics into account (I'm sure you knew this - I'm just continuing the conversation).

Nowhere near the speed of light!

Numerophile's 100000g figure is about 1/(1.5 x 10^5) of the speed where you would conventionally start to consider relativistic effects (0.1c).

c ≈ 299,792,458 m/s ≈ 186,282 miles/s

9g is about as much as a human body (circulatory system) can withstand of course - and it can't cope with that for long. Spinal fractures (relatively minor ones if such a thing can be said to exist) have also been recorded as a result of high g manoeuvres in aircraft.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/19039/can-excessive-g-force-break-or-dislocate-bones-during-pilot-maneuvers

Except for this guy

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Franklin_Hall_(Earth-616)

Last edited by Celebaelin on Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PDR
1361793.  Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote

True - I was doing numbers in my head while watching the build-up to the grand Prix and dropped a couple of decimal points!

Apols,

PDR

Celebaelin
1361794.  Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote

I'm OK with it and The Crimson Pipecleaner is unbothered but Graviton can be a bit... tetchy.

tetsabb
1361826.  Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
True - I was doing numbers in my head while watching the build-up to the grand Prix and dropped a couple of decimal points!

I hope you don't do that in your professional rôle
😉

I presume you were pleased with the result of the Grand Prix?

franticllama
1362228.  Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Digging out the edible bits of a pomegranate - definitely not worth it

cornixt
1362235.  Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Ha, I've been there! I got one to make pomegranate juice. Costs practically the same as the juice in the store but with far more mess and hassle.

AlmondFacialBar
1362238.  Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote

franticllama wrote:

So lovely in a fruit salad or with couscous or on panna cotta, though...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1362266.  Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
PDR wrote:

I hope you don't do that in your professional rôle
😉

Any significant calculations go through checking/verification processes, so it wouldn't matter. But my current role is more around running the engineering fresh-meat acquisition programme (the company prefers to call it "Engineering Early Careers Program" but my version has a better ring to it) and the only calcs I do are ever bigger funding demands!

Quote:
I presume you were pleased with the result of the Grand Prix?

The result was good, and Lewis just seems to get better and better, to the point where attempts to deny him the accolade of "greatest driver of all time " just look ever sillier.

But more to the point it was a rather good race - the mixture of tyre compounds coupled to a lack of running experience on a green track and low temperatures made for plenty of interesting action from the front all the way through the midfield. The ad-hoc nature of this season has produced quite a few interesting races - I just hope they pick up on that thread and go to a wider range of tracks in future.

PDR

crissdee
1362267.  Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Part of my vaguely planned future endeavours was going to be making a bespoke tool case for my mate who still works for the ticket machine company. TIL, in the course of a rambling 40 min telephone conversation, that such plans can be put firmly on the back burner, with the gas turned off. He does not expect to require a toolcase for work much longer. Two of our contemporaries have been made redundant, and he holds out little hope that he will still be working there next year.

franticllama
1362275.  Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
franticllama wrote:

So lovely in a fruit salad or with couscous or on panna cotta, though...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Definitely. I shall just be buying the seeds in future rather than the whole fruit. Consumerism has to be good for something

extremophilesheep
1362290.  Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

PerhapsthereisalanguagewhichiswrittenorspokenlikethisinwhichcaseIwouldbeinterestedtolearnaboutit.*

Sounds like you moved to Wales recently.

extremophilesheep
1362291.  Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 am Reply with quote

ali wrote:
William Langland wrote:
In a somer sesun,|| whon softe was the sonne,
I schop me into a shroud,|| as I a scheep were;
In habite as an hermite || unholy of werkes
Wente I wyde in this world || wondres to here;
Bote in a Mayes morwnynge ||on Malverne hulles
Me bifel a ferly, || of fairie, me-thoughte.

The above is the first few lines of Langland's Piers Plowman, a Middle English poem written in the style of Anglo-Saxon verse.
The lines each have four strong beats, the first three of which are marked by alliteration. Somewhere between the second and third beats is a caesura, marked above by two red vertical bars. You can think of it as each half-line expressing a separate (though probably linked) thought.

As regards the language you're looking for: pick any one you like, they all do it. Natural speech does not use neatly separated words.

And just today there's a show about this poem on. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nvsl

Page 418 of 428
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 426, 427, 428  Next