View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 369 of 375
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 368, 369, 370 ... 373, 374, 375  Next

Efros
1342720.  Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Human skeletons presumably... sorry inner pedant at work.

Celebaelin
1342722.  Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

Foetus's skeletons are neither complete nor functioning even late in pregnancy as they operate in a fluid filled environment and are non load bearing. The kneecaps do not ossify until 2 to 6 years after birth.

Quote:
The patella is ossified from a single center, which usually makes its appearance in the second or third year, but may be delayed until the sixth year. More rarely, the bone is developed by two centers, placed side by side. Ossification is completed about the age of puberty.

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Patella

Furthur arguments can be made regarding eg the ossification of the hyoid bone and more famously the closing of the fontanelle.

Quote:
Normal ossification of the hyoid bone was studied on the basis of postpartum radiographs of 10 stillborn children and radiographs of the cervical spine or the lateral neck of 86 children ranging in age from newborn to 16 years old. None of the patients was suspected of having any abnormality of skeletal ossification. Ossification of the hyoid was seen only after 30 weeks' gestation. The body of the hyoid was ossified in all infants older than 4 months, and the greater cornua were ossified in all those older than 6 months. Ossification of the lesser cornua did not appear in children less than 15 years of age. Normal measurements for the body of the hyoid and the greater cornua were determined.

Ossification of the hyoid bone during childhood.
Can Assoc Radiol J. 1993 Aug;44(4):273-6.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8348355

cornixt
1342725.  Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
TIL that the average number of working skeletons in the world is more than one per person.

As there are always some pregnant women who effectively have at least two in one body, the average across the human race must be over one each.

Do the calculations take into account how many amputees there are?

tetsabb
1342737.  Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Do these calculations assume that politicians have a functioning backbone?

PDR
1342738.  Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
TIL that the average number of working skeletons in the world is more than one per person.

As there are always some pregnant women who effectively have at least two in one body, the average across the human race must be over one each.

Pro-lifers would argue that it's always less than one per person for precisely the same reason - they would be of the view that inside pregnant women there are people who have yet to develop a skeleton.

PDR

Efros
1342778.  Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote

That the German for Birth Control Pills is Antibabypillen.

Celebaelin
1342791.  Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Why not...

AlmondFacialBar
1342798.  Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
That the German for Birth Control Pills is Antibabypillen.

Two Christmases ago I had to help my Canadian cousin's daughter with that one because her Oma/ my auntie who left Germany in the 1950s before the Pill was ever a thing refused to believe the word exists. Apparently she admitted defeat after having my message plonked under her nose.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1343018.  Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if I learned this today, because I'm not absolutely sure it is true, but I think I now know why this product:

is so named. I happened to stand the bottle on the floor, and was looking down on it when it struck me!

extremophilesheep
1343019.  Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote

I think that IS why it is called that. Although - at least in this country - it's a rare bird, you don't often find 'm looking like a duck anymore.

cornixt
1343050.  Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote

I don't think it is too polite to say "duh", so I won't. I think it literally turned into a cartoon duck in the adverts.

I always thought "Swan" or "Goose" would be a more appropriate name for it, although notice how the neck is mostly useless and they could have done the same thing without using so much plastic.

Celebaelin
1343118.  Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote

The creature that looks like a two-tailed mermaid is actually called a melusine or melusina and in alchemy it is symbolic of enlightenment rather than a duality between evil and good which is a generally more prevalent interpretation of the image.

Quote:
Alchemically, the sirenís two tails represent unity -of earth and water, body and soul- and the vision of Universal Mercury, the all-pervading anima mundi that calls out and makes the philosopher yearn to her.

http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1153

How the Starbucks Siren Became Less Naughty

Awitt
1343195.  Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote

Today I learnt that my religious library colleague created/invented a new term for the (very prestigious, for those in the industry) Library of Congress subject headings in 1993.

At a different library, he was cataloging a book in German, on the Red Sea. (Schilfmeer)

The Hebrew term - though the L of C has it as phrase - 'yam suf' was what he submitted, and it was accepted.

crissdee
1343746.  Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 am Reply with quote

The joys of a truly local newspaper in a rural community. I tend to get a few of them on a semi-regular basis to look for work, but today, the Brecon and Radnorshire Express regaled me with several columns (and a picture) about a man who had bought a new tractor and specified wider tyres than standard.................

PDR
1343755.  Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote

Ah yes - the Carlos Fandago "Wurzel" range. Did they come with a free nodding sheepdog?

PDR

Page 369 of 375
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 368, 369, 370 ... 373, 374, 375  Next