Page 365 of 375
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 373, 374, 375  Next

Dix
1341078.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
'yorz wrote:
Today
Quote:
I learned that ibuprofen reduces menstrual flow BY 50% and the only reason I can come up with for why no one else knows about this is that we're such a fucking misogynist culture, we can't talk about something that women have to deal with every four weeks for 30 years.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1218926374041399296.html

As others have said, it does appear to be fairly widely discussed online. The reason it isn't promoted by the manufacturers is that it's not a licensed use of the drug.
I'm surprised that there are medical professionals advocating off-license use of unusually high doses for this purpose (as it's really for convenience, rather than medical need) - I'd have thought that anyone doing so is at risk of a negligence lawsuit if someone suffers serious side effects (which are fairly common for Ibuprofen compared to other over-the-counter painkillers).

Point of order: It is not necessarily for convenience. There is such a thing as periods so heavy that you end up having severe anaemia as a result. To the point where you either need to overdose on iron supplements to compensate or end up in a state where you are offered a blood transfusion.
There are other solutions, but they're not necessarily pleasant. And practicioners seem to just look at the anaemia and treat that, rather than, ahem, discuss the blood loss issue.
I wasn't told about the ibuprofen thing. It might be discussed on Google now, but that doesn't mean that the information was readily available 15 years ago when I would have liked to know so at least it could be considered.

barbados
1341081.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote

One of the know side effects of overuse of ibuprofen is internal bleeding - leading to organ failure.
I'm not sure practioner would recommend that to relieve the effects of heavy blood loss

AlmondFacialBar
1341083.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
cnb wrote:
'yorz wrote:
Today
Quote:
I learned that ibuprofen reduces menstrual flow BY 50% and the only reason I can come up with for why no one else knows about this is that we're such a fucking misogynist culture, we can't talk about something that women have to deal with every four weeks for 30 years.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1218926374041399296.html

As others have said, it does appear to be fairly widely discussed online. The reason it isn't promoted by the manufacturers is that it's not a licensed use of the drug.
I'm surprised that there are medical professionals advocating off-license use of unusually high doses for this purpose (as it's really for convenience, rather than medical need) - I'd have thought that anyone doing so is at risk of a negligence lawsuit if someone suffers serious side effects (which are fairly common for Ibuprofen compared to other over-the-counter painkillers).

Point of order: It is not necessarily for convenience. There is such a thing as periods so heavy that you end up having severe anaemia as a result. To the point where you either need to overdose on iron supplements to compensate or end up in a state where you are offered a blood transfusion.
There are other solutions, but they're not necessarily pleasant. And practicioners seem to just look at the anaemia and treat that, rather than, ahem, discuss the blood loss issue.
I wasn't told about the ibuprofen thing. It might be discussed on Google now, but that doesn't mean that the information was readily available 15 years ago when I would have liked to know so at least it could be considered.

Mind, it's always worth investigating the cause of unusually heavy periods. With me it was massive fibroids and having them embolised literally changed my life. If they really are idiopathic, you can still investigate medication.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Dix
1341110.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote

AFB: Thanks, but I did eventually get checked and it wasn't that. Not that another explanation was found. I spent 5+ years with one of those hormone-soaked things you get inserted - again, no-one told me that those could stop the flow, I got told about that by a random lady at a blood test session.... and by now, I'm an old fart so it's very nearly no longer relevant. The thingy was removed a couple of years due to its age (prior to that I had to explain very thoroughly to a nurse practictioner a couple of times that yes, I was perfectly aware and didn't care that it was no longer good for contraception when older than five years, because that wasn't the point). I didn't bother with a new one because it was such a hassle to deal with the doctors, and -- well --- I could see the end of the age tunnel approaching fast. Those last couple of years I've been good friends with the iron supplements but there has been times where I suddenly had to stop walking on uphill stretches and had pin pricks all over my arms. And that's with a much lesser flow than I had when it was at its worst.

cnb
1341111.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Dix wrote:

Point of order: It is not necessarily for convenience. There is such a thing as periods so heavy that you end up having severe anaemia as a result.

I wasn't trying to suggest that there were never medical reasons for very heavy bleeding - there are probably other (admittedly probably very similar but more more expensive) drugs that are licensed for dealing with that.

I was just very surprised to see professional medics saying "heavy period and going to the beach at the weekend? Just overdose on painkillers to delay the bleeding until you get home!"

'yorz
1341132.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:09 am Reply with quote

Heavy bleeding and going to the beach? I guess the word 'heavy' can be interpreted in different ways. For years I had to wear baby's nappies, sometimes 2 side by side. How many pills would I have had to take to stop that flow? I was in my late 40s when a woman Saint in Hexham Hospital performed endometrial ablation, after which not one cramp nor one droplet of blood. I cried when I realised that decades-long nightmare was over and wished I had heard about that procedure years earlier. I had only been offered a total hysterectomy by trigger-happy male consultants.

'yorz
1341133.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:12 am Reply with quote

Anyhoo - something I learned today - the last ever death by guillotine in France was in 1977.
Bleeding enfer!

That snippet came in the past sentence of an article about guillotine-based coiffures and fashion (and niche balls).

extremophilesheep
1341174.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote

The term "niche balls" took a wrong turn in my head and I imagined something else entirely.

tetsabb
1341184.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote

You are not alone, extremo....

crissdee
1341520.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 am Reply with quote

TIL just how quiet ths area really is, compared to east London. All the time I was in my flat, I had this;

clock on my wall, which was (afaik) cmpletely silent. I am now sitting in my spare room/study where it hangs, and I can here a constant tick and rumble of gears issuing forth, simply because there is nothing outside to drown it out!

Efros
1341521.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote

I had similar issues when I moved to this area of Maine from Glasgow. No noise at night, I mean absolutely silent, and extremely dark, like can't see hands in front of your face dark. It took me a while to get a full nights sleep.

Jenny
1341531.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote

I'm sleeping better in Portland than I did when I lived in the country.

tetsabb
1341533.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote

Now, young crissdee, we don't want you to become one of those townies who move to the country and start complaining about cocks crowing, bleating sheep, etc
😉😁🤪

crissdee
1341543.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote

None of that within a couple of miles.......

Awitt
1341661.  Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote

I guess you could say that I've learnt the principal of the school where I work has a bit of a sense of humour.
checking the emails today on my day off, I see a request from one teacher for everyone to keep an eye out for his lunch - in a glass container with red lid.

Then after 5pm an email from the principal with 'after everyone had left, I found the lunch, there'll be a prize for whoever guesses the correct location' she's listed up to 18 or so different places all around the school.

Even though I wasn't there, I took a stab at what seems like the most obvious to me - (next to the office copier where he did the extras sheet this morning) only because one secretary was away and the other had to go out for a short time, so normally someone would be in there during the day a bit.

And I've started writing a poem about the event.

Page 365 of 375
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 373, 374, 375  Next