View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 363 of 375
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 362, 363, 364 ... 373, 374, 375  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1340549.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
That is indeed the case, but I was in the fortunate position of having nowhere else I absolutely needed to be, and had plenty of stuff that needed doing in the house, so it was annoying rather than problematical. Soon however, I hope to be gainfully employed, whereupon I will make arrangements for parcels to be delivered to my friends, one of whom almost never leaves the house or resign myself to a trip to Llandod to collect it from the Post Office. Either way, any putative employer does not need to be involved. That was the kind of organisation I meant, and that is how I have organised such things apart from the very brief period when I was working in a place that offered the chance to have parcels delivered to the workplace.

Tbh, I'm not sure I ever took advantage of the system anyway.

That of course requires you to have friends in your general neighbourhood, which is not necessarily the case in a workplace like mine. With a multinational workforce there's a good chance that a lot of people are new to the country, make friends right there in the office and don't know their neighbours beyond saying hello. On top of that a lot of these employers expect vast amounts of overtime (my current one doesn't, but I've been that soldier more than once), so you'll never make it to the post office to pick stuff up either. Allowing personal deliveries to the office is the obvious solution there.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1340550.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
On top of that a lot of these employers expect vast amounts of overtime.

It is my understanding that oveertime is by definition voluntary, so "they" can expect what they like, but you are under no obligations to work anything but your contracted hours.

Efros
1340553.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

It is my understanding that oveertime is by definition voluntary, so "they" can expect what they like, but you are under no obligations to work anything but your contracted hours.

Not sure what the current employment law is in the UK but compulsory overtime was a thing, my Dad had it written into his conditions of employment that he had 10 hours of it every week. He was suitably reimbursed for it and because of the nature of the shift was also given an unsociable hours allowance too.

AlmondFacialBar
1340554.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Well yes, but the work doesn't do itself and they count on the fact that no one wants to let down their team mates. In my first full time job in Ireland we had quarter end file closing parties with pizza, beer, and AC/DC, lasting till whenever the work was done.

Besides, most companies pay handsomely for it, too.

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1340556.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote

An Australian band used to serenade you as you worked?

AlmondFacialBar
1340557.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote

On CD...

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1340565.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Not sure what the current employment law is in the UK but compulsory overtime was a thing, my Dad had it written into his conditions of employment that he had 10 hours of it every week.

This is still the case. If it's in your contract then you're expected to do it. You cannot be required to go over 48 hours per week (with exceptions, and averaged over a 17 week period for some reason), and the rate of pay for the overtime cannot be below minimum wage, but otherwise if it's in your contract then you must do it. This is not an especially common arrangement, but far from unknown.

If there's nothing about overtime in your contract then it's entirely up to you whether or not you do any. The law says that you cannot be fired for declining to do any, but those who feel that they don't need to belong to a union may find that it doesn't always work quite like that in practice.

I dare say EC is not much in your line and no more is it in mine, but I know quite a few people whose line it absolutely is. While they are at no time told in writing that they must be at their desks by 0700 and should not expect to leave before 2000, in practice that appears often to be the expectation.

crissdee
1340566.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I dare say EC is not much in your line.

Hah! The Stockbroker's Clerk You cannot slip such things in without my knowledge young lady!

suze
1340568.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Damn! One of these days I'll slip an obscure Holmes reference past you ...

Alfred E Neuman
1340690.  Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
crissdee wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Well yes, but the work doesn't do itself and they count on the fact that no one wants to let down their team mates. In my first full time job in Ireland we had quarter end file closing parties with pizza, beer, and AC/DC, lasting till whenever the work was done.

Besides, most companies pay handsomely for it, too.

AlmondFacialBar

You donít have to work overtime here, but if you refuse then youíre not going to have any kind of career. If youíre happy to work for minimum wage for the rest of your life, then thatís not a problem, but if you want to make progress, get decent increases and performance bonuses, then you do what you need to do to get the job done.

PDR
1340691.  Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

This is still the case. If it's in your contract then you're expected to do it. You cannot be required to go over 48 hours per week (with exceptions, and averaged over a 17 week period for some reason), and the rate of pay for the overtime cannot be below minimum wage, but otherwise if it's in your contract then you must do it. This is not an especially common arrangement, but far from unknown.

People can "contract out" of the WTD rules, but cannot be compelled to - the origin of the "17 weeks" is that it's a third of a working year (after 5 weeks for leave and public holidays, that was taken to be a represen6tative number for europe). The original committee were split into two factions - one wanted it to be a rolling monthly average and the other lot wanted it to be an annually-declared static number. After recognising that the rolling month would be problematic for "su5rge effort" periods they settled on the 1/3yr option as a compromise.

Quote:

While they are at no time told in writing that they must be at their desks by 0700 and should not expect to leave before 2000, in practice that appears often to be the expectation.

Of course if they can "prove" trhat this culture exists (by having several people say it is, or by showing that those who don't do it get lower bonuses, promotions or access to corporate totty) ythen this would constitute workplace bullying. I understand there is caselaw on this.

PDR

Efros
1340708.  Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote

That really nice people are a fucking nightmare to deal with when they have

1) forgotten their password

2) don't remember the answers to the security questions

3) deny doing anything to the machine that stopped it logging in automatically in the first place.

Found a free online tool that wipes W10 passwords (yeah security huh) so it wasn't a wipe and reinstall situation. Still having to bite my tongue and not showing irritation was hard, these people are good people I kept chanting to my inner self.

crissdee
1340852.  Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote

On a similar note, I went into hospital without my computer, and thought I would just use my phone to get on the system to say Hi to all the people in QIland, For some reason however, the system would not recognise the format of my email address, despite it being;

(xxxxxxxxxx)@(xxxxxxxx).com

just the same format as every other f*cking email address I have ever used or seen!

Efros
1340853.  Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote

bit strange, are you sure you were trying to logon to the public wifi?

tetsabb
1340855.  Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Too much x?

Page 363 of 375
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 362, 363, 364 ... 373, 374, 375  Next