View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 341 of 345
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345  Next

suze
1327688.  Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote

I'll just leave that there, in case there are any philatelists whom I might like to get to know better ...

But meanwhile, I have learned something today. This morning I bought a beach towel from a kiosk. The towel is in the form of a map of Las Canarias, where we presently are.

When I spread the towel on the beach preparatory to lying upon it, my stepdaughter noted that there is necessarily precisely one point on the towel which is right on top of the point that it represents.

That's one of those things that is "obvious" once you know, but you've never thought of it, and the result is of sufficient interest to mathmos that it has a name.

Elz had to resort tp her phone and Wikipedia to tell me what that name is, but it's called the Banach Fixed Point Theorem after the Polish mathmo who stated it in 1922. (Pan Banach didn't know how to prove it, but some Italian geezer did that bit for him nine years later.)

cornixt
1327690.  Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if GPS systems use the name for the current location point, even if just hidden in the code somewhere.

Now you've got me wondering if the surface of the earth is a 1:1 map of itself.

ali
1327691.  Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if GPS systems use the name for the current location point, even if just hidden in the code somewhere.

Yes. Consider that it rotates about an axis.
You can use the Brouwer Fixed-Point Theorem for that though.

Celebaelin
1327704.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote

St. Munchin is the patron saint of Limerick.

Munchin means 'little monk'; as in munchkin I guess but Etymonline is unsure - it does point out that L. Frank Baum coined the latter word but has a few different ideas about his inspiration.

I feel a short verse coming on. If you have strongly-held Roman Catholic beliefs you probably shouldn't read the whited out ditty below.
˅˅
There once was a bishop called Munchin
Whose cassock was threadbare and worn thin
Folk then noticed with grief
His revealed lack of briefs
'Cos nuns used them for wrapping his lunch in

˄˄
http://limerickslife.com/curse-st-munchin/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainch%C3%ADn_of_Limerick
https://www.etymonline.com/word/munchkin

Just my tuppence-worth.

RLDavies
1327713.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:

You've reminded me of the passage from Sylvie and Bruno, one of the lesser-known works by Lewis Carroll:

"That’s another thing we’ve learned from your nation," said Mein Herr, "map-making. But we’ve carried it much further than you. What do you consider the largest map that would be really useful?"

"About six inches to the mile."

"Only six inches!" exclaimed Mein Herr. "We very soon got to six yards to the mile. Then we tried a hundred yards to the mile. And then came the grandest idea of all! We actually made a map of the country, on the scale of a mile to the mile!"

"Have you used it much?" I enquired.

"It has never been spread out yet," said Mein Herr. "The farmers objected: they said it would cover the whole country and shut out the sunlight! So we now use the country itself as its own map, and I assure you it does nearly as well."

Awitt
1327716.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:29 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Quote:
Today I learned that there are three villages in Wales called Garth!

As I was reading a book of English hymn book compilations, I saw this line in the chapter about those of Welsh origin, and was fairly sure it was what was mentioned awhile ago, because it's similar to the boy's name Gareth, of which there is one student at my school:

Hugh Davies, originally from Garth near Rhiwabon in North east Wales......

Efros
1327717.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote

Garth is an old English word for enclosed yard/meadow, it may have come from Norse. In Sunderland there are a number of blocks of houses called The Garths as they individually formed quadrangles around a central open grassed area.

Famed for being a tough area to live and be brought up in, I believe they are now gone.

Awitt
1327718.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote

Just did a quick Google and found a site that says most of those places/areas were demolished in the 1990's.

Efros
1327721.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote

That doesn't surprise me to be honest, I remember them from the late 70s and they were rundown and bloody grim then.

swot
1327724.  Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote

We found out at mini-swot's blood test on Monday that numbing cream doesn't always work. A quick Google today suggests that it's much less effective if you're nervous. Given that he has inherited my anxiety, we needn't have bothered with it. 🙄

Awitt
1327773.  Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote

After thinking I knew most words related to British history/royalty, I see solipsism in a small book about Elizabeth I. Had to look it up as I don't think I've seen this one before.

Efros
1327780.  Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote

Fundamental belief of any two year old, lol.

tetsabb
1327781.  Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote

On another forum swot put together 4 words that have my Inner Hooligan tearing at the bars of his cage.
Water. Balloon. Catapult. Fight.

Oh dear....

Efros
1327782.  Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun afternoon activity.

Stefan Linnemann
1327843.  Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote

Ah yes, those seering summer afternoons when everything was simply too hot, and the garden hose got the most (frivolous) use of it's lifespan.

Page 341 of 345
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345  Next