Page 340 of 345
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341 ... 343, 344, 345  Next

Stefan Linnemann
1327482.  Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote

of the neighbouring Arch-rivals, yes.

crissdee
1327498.  Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Today I learned that there is a village in South Wales called Garth.

It is less than a mile or so from where I currently sit posting! Were I to live there, and work in Upper Chapel, the drive to and from work would make up for a great deal of work related issues. I happened to drive that way the other day, heading for Brecon, and it was one of the greatest driving roads I have ever experienced.

suze
1327501.  Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Today I learned that there are three villages in Wales called Garth!

One of them is in the Llynfi Valley 9 miles NNW of Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr (in English, Bridgend), and is by now practically a suburb of Maesteg. That is the Garth which has the football team called Garth Vader*, and is served by Garth (Mid Glamorgan) railway station.

One of them is in the Irfon Valley 6 miles WSW of Llanfair-ym-Muallt (Builth Wells). That is the Garth which is close to where crissdee is currently staying, and is served by Garth (Powys) railway station.

One of them is in the Clarach Valley 6 miles ENE of Aberystwyth, and is contiguous with the larger village of Penrhyn-coch. It too has a fairly successful football team, but that one is just called CPD Penrhyn-coch FC†. It lacks a railway station, but is connected to Aberystwyth by bus 526 (not Sundays).

* Vader just happens to be the Dutch word for "father". George Lucas has given both answers to questions about whether he knew this all along and it was meant to be a "clue" - which probably means that he didn't, and it was a happy coincidence.

Darth, as we all know by now, is a title rather than being Lord Vader's given name. While no one bar perhaps Obi-Wan Kenobi would have dared to address him by his name, it remained Anakin.

† That is how they name football clubs in Welsh-speaking areas of Wales. CPD, short for Clwb Pêl-droed ("Club Kick-Ball") is placed before the name, and FC (Football Club) after it.

The Football Association of Wales (Cymdeithas Bêl-droed Cymru) was traditionally very sniffy about the Welsh language, and responded to any communications in Welsh with the terse statement "This association conducts its business in English". But since 2006 it has allowed Welsh to be used, and clubs in certain parts of Wales habitally communicate with it in Welsh to Make A Point.

ali
1327502.  Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
One of them is in the Clarach Valley 6 miles ENE of Aberystwyth, and is contiguous with the larger village of Penrhyn-coch. It too has a fairly successful football team, but that one is just called CPD Penrhyn-coch FC†.

This is not the pel-droed you are looking for.

Olinguito
1327516.  Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote

In “Omnishambles”, the 13th episode of the O series of QI XL, we learned that after the Renaissance military man Federico da Montefeltro lost an eye in a jousting tournament, he became so paranoid about people trying to assassinate him that he had the bridge of his nose cut so that he could see both sides with his other eye.

Today I learned that Princess Vespa has had to have the reverse operation done on her nose for cosmetic reasons in the movie Spaceballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-NhD15ocwA

tetsabb
1327529.  Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:

This is not the pel-droed you are looking for.

Bravo!

Celebaelin
1327610.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure where this belongs but here seems as good a place as any for the time being.

I've just been reading an article in Psychology Today (dated April 25 2013 so more like Psychology Six Years Ago really but still...) which concludes by mentioning the concept of

Quote:
philatelic love

Please note that this is exactly what the article refers to (the above is C&Ped directly) but I can find no meaning for philatelic except with regard to stamp collecting and the etymological origins of the word. Interestingly (or at least quite interestingly) the Greek has the literal meaning of "love of exemption from tax/payment".

https://www.etymonline.com/word/philately
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/philatelist

I can only assume this is some sort of auto-correct error and that what was intended was the word philanthropic but that must for the time being remain a guess as I throw open the floor to suggestions.

Open that is only for as long as you don't write anything like 'philately will get you nowhere' because:

1) It's an awful pun.
2) I've already used it.
and
3) Since philately refers to tax exemption then clearly there are distinct advantages.

post 1327612

I also learned about Ludus and Philautia and, during the course of writing this post, Pragma

Spike
1327615.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:05 am Reply with quote

Could they have been confusing it with:
Quote:
Philia: Love of the mind

Also know as brotherly love, Philia represents the sincere and platonic love. The kind of love you have for your brother or a really good friend. It was more valuable and more cherished than Eros. Philia exists when people share the same values and dispositions with someone and the feelings are reciprocated.

We need some context as to what the article was about...

Celebaelin
1327623.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:21 am Reply with quote

Maybe.

Psychology Today wrote:
But when we are ready for more than eroticism plus obsession, we can feed affection and sexual feeling with the more rewarding worlds of pragmatic and philatelic love.

Efros
1327624.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote

Now there's a psychologist who don't know the difference between self conceit and stamps.

ali
1327629.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote

I suspect that the author's spoilchucker didn't like 'philautic'.

Spike
1327630.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote

The article is talking about moving from Eros (sexual attraction/lust) or Ludus (playful love) to Pragma (practical love founded on reason or duty and one’s longer-term interests, sexual attraction takes a back seat in favour of personal qualities and compatibilities, shared goals) and Philia (affectionate love).

Quote:
For Plato, the best kind of friendship is that which lovers have for each other. It is a philia born out of eros, and that in turn feeds back into eros to strengthen and develop it, transforming it from a lust for possession into a shared desire for a higher level of understanding of the self, the other, and the world.

Although the article also mentions Philautia (self-love), the context suggests they were intending to refer to Philia. The word doesn't appear to exist, but perhaps they intended to write 'Philatic' love.

Jenny
1327634.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote

I think this may be one of the few forums on the internet that runs the gamut between rude jokes and etymology.

RLDavies
1327683.  Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote

I would have assumed a (very mangled) "platonic".

Given that there are people attracted to objects, like the lady who married the Berlin Wall and the one in the news recently who married a chandelier, I suppose there must be someone somewhere who fits the exact description of "philatelic love".

Efros
1327685.  Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote

Not a window licker...

Page 340 of 345
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341 ... 343, 344, 345  Next