View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 338 of 343
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 337, 338, 339 ... 341, 342, 343  Next

Awitt
1326305.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
TIL Teachers have an amount of time set aside each week for something called PPA, this is preparation, planning, and assessment.
Im not sure about the A but teachers dont seem to be aware of the PP bit?

The Victorian, (Australia) state system has a marking day towards the end of each term, purely for that task. Even more important at the ends of Terms 2 and 4 when the main reports are prepared and distributed.
The email sent out for last term stated that teachers could do it from home if they wished, just to let the school know this.

It's a student free day and non teaching staff may take it off or go in. The librarian I'm replacing has told me in the past when we've spoken over the phone, that she would often do jobs like culling on these days, when she can be at the shelves for an hour or more, sans disruptions.

You should see the lesson plans the teachers at this school are required to have prepared, even when they're not there (off sick, on excursions, or professional practice days, when they're assessing each other in small teams)
It's all done now on the intranet system and whether one of our own teachers or a casual in for the day takes the class, they can read off the requirements.

cornixt
1326336.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
cornixt wrote:
I wonder how many I assumed were Spanish are actually Portuguese, I don't really know how to tell the difference, but Brazil must have about as much heft as the rest of South America.

They'll be mostly Spanish. Globally twice as many people speak it, and in the US, the largest YouTube market, there are 50 million Spanish speakers vs 1 million Portuguese speakers. Although Brazil is the second largest YouTube market, it's half the size of the total Spanish speaking market.

BBC news article about this, Spanish-language songs make up half of YouTube's Top 10 for the year so far:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48920365

AlmondFacialBar
1326337.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
cnb wrote:
cornixt wrote:
I wonder how many I assumed were Spanish are actually Portuguese, I don't really know how to tell the difference, but Brazil must have about as much heft as the rest of South America.

They'll be mostly Spanish. Globally twice as many people speak it, and in the US, the largest YouTube market, there are 50 million Spanish speakers vs 1 million Portuguese speakers. Although Brazil is the second largest YouTube market, it's half the size of the total Spanish speaking market.

BBC news article about this, Spanish-language songs make up half of YouTube's Top 10 for the year so far:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48920365

Quick rule of thumb - anything that ends in -an in Spanish ends in -ao in Portuguese, becomes nh, -on endings become -om endings.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1326344.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote

I once saw a webpage along the lines of "Look, you know thousands of words in all of the Romance languages already".

As one example, consider the large number of English nouns which end in -tion. More often than not, these equate to a French noun in -tion, an Italian noun in -zione, a Portuguese noun in -o, a Romanian noun in -ciu, and a Spanish noun in -cin. As an added bonus, the nouns in the long lists that you can now construct are almost always (> 99%) feminine.

The lexical similarity between Spanish and Portuguese is usually given as 89%. To oversimplify, that means that eight out of noun Spanish words are essentially the same as a Portuguese word of the same meaning, so you just need to know a few rules such as the one above and the ones stated by AFB. Of the major languages of Europe, only Danish/Norwegian (92%) and Croatian/Serbian (97%) exhibit a higher lexical similarity*.

In the case of Spanish and Portuguese, there are two main reasons why the lexical similarity is not even higher. Spanish uses quite a lot of words from Arabic where the Portuguese equivalent is from Latin, while a lot of C18 Spanish vocabulary is from Italian where the Portuguese equivalent is from French.

In other news, I am seeking to convince myself that I have not seen post 1326299. If I do see it at any point, someone may need to hold me back and tell me that he's not worth it ...

* Every linguist who has worked in this field uses different terminology and different formulas, so the actual numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt. But whichever approach is used, the result that Croatian/Serbian are very similar indeed, while Hungarian/Icelandic are about as different as it is possible to be, is constant.

barbados
1326346.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote

You could always ask me what I meant - particularly as you well know I do defend teachers whenever the work they do is called into doubt.

suze
1326348.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote

OK then, what did you mean?

If a particular teacher with whom you work has failed to prepare properly for something, well yes it happens. But to say that teachers in general fail on this just isn't true.

barbados
1326349.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote

As you will be aware, we are approaching the end of the school year, and part of that involves a school production.
Tonight is the first night for one school and they thought it would be a good time to say that some of the accompanying music will not play because it was saved in the wrong format.

So through all of the weeks of rehearsals and writing, they overlooked one of the most important parts.
They are the only school to do that, and it's the technician's fault that the production won't work - I guess you can tell why I would be cross?

suze
1326357.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely. I would be at least as cross as you were.

PPA time may not be relevant here, though. You'd need to see the particular teachers' contracts to be sure, but school plays are usually outside Directed Time.

In most cases, teachers get involved with school plays on a voluntary basis. It's not part of their job, they don't get paid for it, and they have the right to decline to have anything to do with it. In the case of someone who is actually employed to teach Drama, and maybe Music as well, that might be different - but you'd need to see their contracts, and the governors certainly aren't going to show them to you or me.

That does work both ways. Suppose a teacher who works for me is involved with a school play, and I see her doing school play-related work on her PPA time. I'd be entirely within my rights to say "Do that on your own time please, on my time do your actual job". Unless the particular teacher was, to use the vernacular, taking the piss on a regular basis I wouldn't actually do this - but there are probably those who would.

barbados
1326358.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote

The differences between primary and secondary :)

The primary production is a year group's show - Always year 6 - who like year 13 at secondary have now pretty much finished the important bit.
I also appreciate that a year group in KS3 will be slightly higher than 2 or 3 classes

crissdee
1326361.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote

TIL that my now 58 year old brother has never heard of Occam's Razor, not even the concept of it. Worse still, after my having explained it from first principles, he went on to suggest that the most logical assumption to make regarding the construction of the Pyramids was not;

"loads of people working really hard and clever because the Pharaoh told them to."

but;

"Aliens helped them do it".

But then, he thought "The Da Vinci Code" was good........

suze
1326362.  Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
The differences between primary and secondary :)

Yes, I'll give you that. I had actually forgotten that it's primary education that you're involved with.

barbados wrote:
The primary production is a year group's show - Always year 6 - who like year 13 at secondary have now pretty much finished the important bit. I also appreciate that a year group in KS3 will be slightly higher than 2 or 3 classes.

Year 13 just disappear once they have finished the important bit. There is a half day after A levels have finished on which the outgoing Year 13 are asked to come to school. It was last Friday and there was an assembly, but the main reason we ask them to come in that morning is to return books, laptops, and any other school property they may have. After that they usually go out drinking.

Year 11 who have just finished GCSEs had last week off, but nearly all of them are in school for three days starting tomorrow for sixth form induction. They have an assembly this Friday, and as it happens I'm leading it since the Head of Sixth Form is unavailable, but after that they will be released for summer one week before everyone else.

Now of course, teachers find themselves with some extra time once the exam years are no longer in class. That time is called "gained time", and officially it's the Head's rather than mine - she and not I tells my teachers what use to make of that time. In fact, this year she has delegated all the gained time within my Faculty back to me as a consequence of the reorganization that happened at Christmas, but I need not expect that to happen every year.

Tomorrow is Sports Day, and it's become established that it's the one day of the school year when I get into shorts and a stripey shirt and spend a few hours measuring long jumps. (I wasn't a bad long jumper myself in high school, and the PE people are aware that I know the rules and that I measure the jumps correctly. So they just throw me a tape measure and leave me to it, but some other teachers judging events need their hands held a bit more.)

Whose time I do that on is nowhere written down, and strictly speaking it probably should be.

barbados
1326368.  Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
That time is called "gained time"

It is also known as now weve finished for the summer, lets ask IT to put together a system, they must have nothing else to do. time. ;)

suze
1326429.  Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote

That's one thing that won't be happening at my school, since the IT Director is leaving at the end of term. Since that was announced it has been noted that he has ceased to wear a tie, although I don't really know the guy so I cannot comment on whether this is A Statement.

He combined the roles of leading the teaching of ICT and Computer Science and of being in charge of the school's computer systems, but the governors appear to have decided that this dual role is not the best way forward. As, I dare say, you and I could both have told them when they first had the idea.

Awitt
1326444.  Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Still, sounds better than my Government high school where our IT tech is there for one and a half days a week.
Any problems logged take up to two weeks for him to deal with and address, as there's often more urgent stuff.

The music teacher doubles as the IT teacher, but he does know his computers. He was the one who worked out the issue with one mouse when on lunchtime duty - some kid had moved the label to cover the sensor.

With the start of our next term/semester next week, I've just seen an email from the principal to say that a number of staff are on approved leave for the first few weeks and if anyone else is needing to be away (illness) could they please let her know directly.

PDR
1326445.  Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
TIL that my now 58 year old brother has never heard of Occam's Razor, not even the concept of it.

One could think of several reasons why this might be so - but as a working hypothesis I'd suggest assuming the simplest.

PDR

Page 338 of 343
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 337, 338, 339 ... 341, 342, 343  Next