View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 208 of 415
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 413, 414, 415  Next

swot
1270205.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote

Maybe they thought that because your periods stop (or at the very least, lessen) when you're breastfeeding.

franticllama
1270225.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote

I agree with Alf's previous comment. I'd also never come across the term Wendy House in that context.

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I know fuck all about South African culture really, but, if it does indeed exist, could it go back to the Apartheid era? I could well imagine a person from a homeland getting employment in a wealthy white suburban household where the children did have a Wendy house and bringing that term home with them as the general word for small little dwellings and sheds.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

We were one of the vary many South African families that could afford to have some domestic help. She was a lovely lady who pretty much raised my sister and I. Because she traveled a long way, she lived most of the time in the cottage at the end of the garden. It wasn't lavish by any means but it was a dry room, with running water and a toilet next door. She cooked off a gas stove in the room, but then so did we more or less. We'd normally refill our gas bottle and hers at the same time. Her room leaked occasionally during particularly heavy rains, but then so did ours. Most rooms had a bucket somewhere or other under then during a violent thunderstorm. My dad would head up to the room the next weekend to try and fix it and inevitably we would just need to move the location of the buckets.

Thinking about it now from a UK point of view it may seem a bit weird, but growing up it was just how things were. Our 'helper' lived at the end garden and that was just normal.

cornixt
1270244.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote

franticllama wrote:
Thinking about it now from a UK point of view it may seem a bit weird, but growing up it was just how things were. Our 'helper' lived at the end garden and that was just normal.

That's how everyone thinks about how they were brought up, it's only when you talk to other people that you find out which are the weird things that your family does or doesn't do.

RLDavies
1270538.  Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote

From side to side, Australia is just slightly wider than the Moon.

Which means, when you think about it, Australia as seen from the Moon is about as big in the sky as the Moon seen from Earth.

'yorz
1270562.  Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote

TIL that apparently, "Baby it's cold outside" is about rape.
Yup.
I guess if you really want to see things a certain way, you will find a way.

AlmondFacialBar
1270572.  Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote

That debate has been going on for quite a while, because the guy's intention seems to be to wear the girl down until she lets him have his way with her against her better judgement, and also there's a line about a spiked drink. On the other hand, here is a very different take on it:

https://pizzabottle.com/61145-bb-cold-outside/

It's complicated...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1270577.  Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote

That's an interesting take on it - thanks AFB.

Celebaelin
1270588.  Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote

The 1991 live version of Beautiful Dreamer by Y&T is largely unavailable however.

Spotify has it thank goodness (plus my CD natch) but other than that...

https://open.spotify.com/album/5WMUzvXP8AQvFXDAGJO5u6#_=_

A niche interest admittedly but it sure as hell isn't about rape (and not as depressive as the other, 'she left me but I still love her' versions).

Stefan Linnemann
1270712.  Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Scavenger is an alteration of scavager, from Middle English skawager meaning "customs collector", from skawage meaning "customs", from Old North French escauwage meaning "inspection", from schauwer meaning "to inspect", of Germanic origin; akin to Old English scēawian and German schauen meaning "to look at", and modern English "show" (with semantic drift).

Efros
1270720.  Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote

That most dandelions propagate through Apomixis. The seeds. which we all used to take great delight in blowing to tell the time, are produced asexually and the embryo in the seed is a clone of the parent plant.

'yorz
1270737.  Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 am Reply with quote

That a friend recently bought a 2nd 32inch tv, and stacked/linked the two (using one as a computer monitor). He's now perusing the vast Google collection of hi-res masterpieces for background. You can wile away massive amounts of time that way, from Ghent altar pieces to Blake's nightmares.
I recommended Piranesi.

Awitt
1270738.  Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote

I have learnt this that I never knew before, despite all the warnings about fires.

http://www.sciencealert.com/birds-intentionally-set-prey-ablaze-rewriting-history-fire-use-firehawk-raptors

'yorz
1270742.  Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote

Wow. New material for a remake of "The Birds".

Bondee
1270801.  Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote

I'll really worry if I see an owl flying around with a Zippo in its beak.

'yorz
1270809.  Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote

You'd think these birds would have figured out by now how to start their own fire...

Page 208 of 415
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 413, 414, 415  Next