View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 3 of 342
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

Strawberry
1191849.  Thu May 12, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Perhaps. But while DH Lawrence books can be interesting to read, Thomas Hardy books exist solely as a measure of boredom threshold and credulity limits, having pointless plots, utterly unbelievable characters and a narrative style that makes the phone book seem entertaining.

PDR

My previous post was meant to be a joke but never mind.

PDR
1191851.  Thu May 12, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Apologies - it's been that sort of a day...

:0(

PDR

Strawberry
1191917.  Fri May 13, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote

Today, I learnt that Lady Gaga is to play Cilla Black in a film about Dionne Warwick.

Link

Stefan Linnemann
1191921.  Fri May 13, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote

TIL that the humble sewer-system worker holds divine power over traffic.

They're replacing the sewer system of the '50s here as its capacity does not handle anything over a slightly enthousiastic shower, which the surrrounding houses get to temporarily store the excess of. An inevitable byproduct of living below sea-level, some would say, but they are mostly foreigners so do not count.

But a truck had come by to take possession one of the hydraulic excavators used over the past two months to enliven my day, and the driver stopped in the road and came over to talk with a worker, who was busy pounding the sand. And that worker then stepped out behind the truck, held a hand up and then all approaching traffic from that direction stopped! Even a cyclist and a moped!. The truck driver then reversed his flatbed onto the area reserved for the sewer work, and the other man released the traffic and returned to work.

It's been a most enlightening set of months, anyway, as I thought laying sewer pipes consisted of removing the road surface, digging a hole, dropping in what needs to be dropped in, connecting it up, and filling it in, making nice. But no, it appears to be most of the work does not involve any of that. I'm not exactly sure what it does consist of, but so far they've dug one big hole with temporary metal walls, then a week later put some concrete boxes in, and another week later filled it back in, and then received some 15 or so pieces of big concrete pipe, and now they've been rearranging the working area for a week, or so, I think. At least, I've seen no progress along the lines of my expectations.

Oh well, at least it's not rocket science.

crissdee
1191980.  Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote

There's a two bed flat for rent at 219 Baker St. Theoretically next door to where Holmes and Watson lived.

A WEEK!

AlmondFacialBar
1192127.  Sun May 15, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote

I learned last night that the resurgence of vinyl is quite definitely happening. I was invited to the 30th birthday party of a friend who's recently started appreciating albums as a format and really enjoys a monthly vinyl listening event we tend to attend together, so I figured I'd start him off on his record collection and got him Who's Next on vinyl. Well I fucking never!!!! I thought be might get a kick out of that or I wouldn't have bought it, obviously, but the reaction I got was just completely beyond anything this child of the vinyl era could have expected. He literally squeed at it! 😮🙌 As the evening proceeded he showed it to every single other person who showed up (all around his age rather than mine), and they reacted similarly, squeeing and whoaing and saying what an awesome present that is. Of course I was delighted, but at the same time I found myself quite unable to shut up the little voice in the back of my head saying repeatedly that it's only a fucking record. 😄 I mean, it's obsolete technology, right? Fondly remembered by Xers and Boomers, but definitely overtaken by digital formats. Well, it would appear not. Basically, if you want to delight the shit out of a music loving millennial, get them vinyl. They'll cream themselves. 😁 (And while for my generation the size and shape of the package has always been the most painfully obvious of all giveaways, causing many a sarcastic laugh, I learned that that one is now obsolete knowledge, too. I was about to apologise for the obviousness of a Tower Records bag containing something 12" x 12" and flat when I realised he had literally no idea what might be in it. Yikes!!!!)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Efros
1192128.  Sun May 15, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote

I do miss vinyl... But I don't miss all the pops and jumps and scratches that went with it. Let's face it rolling a 6 skinner on a CD cover ain't gonna work.

nitwit02
1192130.  Sun May 15, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Fear not AFB, there are some of us who not only remember vinyl, but have a large collection. And, this is one bloke who can remember 78 rpm shellac discs (I still have some).

AlmondFacialBar
1192154.  Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote

Hm yes... Missing vinyl, still having a collection (me, too, and a record player to go with it), that's all us over forties. Thing is, that guy is young and can't get over the coolness of it. To him it's essentially new and he's loving it. I thought that bit was rather remarkable.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

WordLover
1192162.  Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote

Last edited by WordLover on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

WordLover
1192165.  Mon May 16, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote

Last edited by WordLover on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Awitt
1192166.  Mon May 16, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote

At a tax for small business session today, I learnt that there are 160 identifying characteristics to the human voice.

WordLover
1192167.  Mon May 16, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote

Last edited by WordLover on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Stefan Linnemann
1192217.  Mon May 16, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
I do miss vinyl... But I don't miss all the pops and jumps and scratches that went with it. Let's face it rolling a 6 skinner on a CD cover ain't gonna work.

I miss the sleeves more than the physical item, as that was indeed prone to
scratches and dust, and required a great level of care of the equipment, which had to be of sufficient quality, as well. While it may be true, that in perfect circumstances the vinyl format allows for more frequencies to be recorded and played back, the CD/DVD allows for longer retention of enough of them without distortion to enjoy the music for much longer. In both formats Pink Floyd smooth out my nervous kinks and dissolve my aches and pains. But my vinyl copies would have been worn dead by now. In that sense, whoever stole all my vinyl back in '81 did me a favour.

Efros
1192233.  Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss, I would have been apoplectic if that had happened to me. My vinyl collection was very important to me, but after I disposed of it and replaced it with CDs I don't have that physical attachment. Indeed I haven't played a music CD outside of the car in probably a decade, now all on hard drive. Although of higher fidelity the experience is not quite the same.

Page 3 of 342
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 340, 341, 342  Next