View previous topic | View next topic

America.

Page 1 of 1

Saintlysnake
1191207.  Sun May 08, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote

I am not entirely sure but was told that there is no such place as America. There is North America, South America, U.S.A. I advise this as Q I seems to be very exacting in it's facts and the use of "America" seems strange as I don't believe it is an actual place technically speaking. However love the show and have seen all Q I episode thus far. Good day too you. :D

gruff5
1191217.  Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote

I think technically that is correct. But colloquially "America" is used to refer to USA and colloquialisms eventually become the standard. And, other than the slightly insulting "yanks", what are you otherwise going to call the inhabitants of USA?

Pedants insist that "Union Flag" should be used instead of Union Jack to refer to the UK flag, when everybody calls it the Union Jack. Union flag could refer to flags of the EU, the old USSR, various trade unions etc - so it's hardly specific.

I've not met anyone who's called Big Ben "Elizabeth Tower", so I reckon that clock tower is Big Ben.

I suggest all employees and associates of NERC call their new big red boat Boaty McBoatface, or Boaty for short, and ignore whatever is painted on her bows.

Saintlysnake
1191456.  Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply :D. After doing some research though, I found out that people in the USA are not the only ones who refer too themselves as Americans. People in South America also do the same. So I believe it would make great topic of discussion on Qi for obvious reasons. Good day too you :D

PDR
1191457.  Tue May 10, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote

Series "N" for "Names" or "New World", perhaps?

PDR

gruff5
1191494.  Tue May 10, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote

Saintlysnake wrote:
Thanks for the reply :D. After doing some research though, I found out that people in the USA are not the only ones who refer too themselves as Americans. People in South America also do the same. So I believe it would make great topic of discussion on Qi for obvious reasons. Good day too you :D

Really? I didn't know that. I've only ever heard people from that part of the world calling themselves: Brazilian, Argentinian, Ecuadorian etc But perhaps they call themselves "American" if referring to the continent collectively? Same way "Europeans" sometimes do.

Good day to you, too!

Jenny
1191515.  Tue May 10, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Series "N" for "Names" or "New World", perhaps?

PDR

Too late! Scripts all written and series being recorded.

Now if you can think of an O connection....

PDR
1191525.  Tue May 10, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote

"Ornery folks"?

Or perhaps for the "S" series under "Spics"?

:0)

PDR

tetsabb
1191549.  Tue May 10, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

Scripts all written....

So no improvisation under Ms Toksvig, then?😎

PDR
1191550.  Tue May 10, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Well I would never turn down such an offer to improvise under her, but I was under the impression that her preferences lay in other directions...

PDR

Page 1 of 1