View previous topic | View next topic

burning american flags - a no-brainer for Americans

Page 1 of 1

dstarfire
1189951.  Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote

I was rather surprised when they asked "who burns the most American flags" as the answer is a total no-brainer for anybody who's graduated high school in the US (flag burning is almost always cited as an example of how 'freedom of speech' means more than just words). It's like asking what the chemical formula of water is.

What do you think that says about America?

ETA: by answer, I mean that Americans burn the most American flags, not that the boy scouts specifically do it.

crissdee
1189960.  Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote

The answer may be a "no-brainer" for anyone who graduated from American high school, but as this is a British show, made by British people for a British audience, the number of those who graduated from an American high school is quite small. 😆

dstarfire
1190004.  Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The answer may be a "no-brainer" for anyone who graduated from American high school, but as this is a British show, made by British people for a British audience, the number of those who graduated from an American high school is quite small.

Thank goodness for that. :P I was surprised because I thought this behavior was something of a common occurrence worldwide.

However, my actual point was wondering what it says about a nation that they treasure (and teach it's children about) the right to desecrate a national symbol. Also, is America really the only nation that does this?

Page 1 of 1