View previous topic | View next topic

Search function

Page 1 of 1

bemahan
1187870.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote

This might just be me, but I just used the forum search function to try to find a particular thread. I searched (separately) using the words 'reading', 'book' and 'books'. All returned no results which I thought was odd to the point of thinking maybe the search function wasn't working. However searching on words I knew were posted came up with results.

Btw, whilst doing this I came up with an idea for a QI game: try to find a word that hasn't been used on the forums. I think this would be a good way of finding old, forgotten but QI threads,

'yorz
1187872.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote

Good thinking, Watson. :-)

BTW - I still can't access page 2 and following of my own postings.

suze
1187882.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
This might just be me, but I just used the forum search function to try to find a particular thread. I searched (separately) using the words 'reading', 'book' and 'books'. All returned no results which I thought was odd to the point of thinking maybe the search function wasn't working.

It's not just you.

The search function is programmed to ignore words which have been used a lot of times in the forum. The precise definition of "a lot" I don't know, but it's done that way because a search for "the" could crash the whole site.

I did actually know that "reading" was one of the words which the search can't find, because I once wanted to find out if we've ever talked about a big town in Berkshire - and the search wasn't much help with that.

As you seem to have discovered for yourself, the best way to find old posts is to search on the least common word which you are confident was included.

crissdee
1187886.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote

Aha! That explains a number of my own failures to find something.

I like the idea of the game Bem, but we are such an erudite and verbose lot round here it might be hard to find a word we have never used.

nitwit02
1187980.  Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Yclept

bemahan
1187986.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote

I've never heard that one before, nitwit. Thank you. How do you pronounce it, please? In baby phonetics, please, as I don't understand proper suze-speak. :)

crissdee
1187990.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
Yclept

We have now! 😉

PDR
1187992.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I've never heard that one before, nitwit.

I had, but only because it's one of the obscure words we discovered some years ago when we were seeking special words to insert into company communication to highlight/combat the needless and often incorrect use of jargon. One of our PAs was an almost Suze-like figure with a particular knack for finding these words (if you're reading this Ruth - we still remember you and speak fondly of those times!).

Quote:

How do you pronounce it, please?

It's pronounced "yclept", obviously. :0)

By my understanding it's pronounced "ee-Klept" (emphasis on the second syllabub as in "bereft").

R (yclept PD)

'yorz
1188002.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote

Hah. Searching yclept I came across a picture I posted that I had to refresh (it had fallen off); totally forgot about that one.

Just love his gobsmacked face.

suze
1188102.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
Yclept

I fear that nitwit02 must have a klaxon here. Not only had the word yclept been used on these forums on three previous occasions, but nitwit himself was among those who had previously used it.

It appears that the word subtrahend has not been used on these forums until now. It means the second number in a subtraction sum, so the 4 in the sum 7 - 4 = 3.

nitwit02
1188191.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear, I'd forgotten that I had used it before. Sorry! (It is a grand word in Scrabble)

nitwit02
1188192.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Mellifluence?

suze
1188194.  Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Yes, you win the Internet.

Until now that word had not been used on these forums.

Page 1 of 1